Thread: Fishing question

Default Fishing question

Hello, I just got stationed here in Alaska last Aug but was not able to get out and get much fishing done. This year is my first full summer here and want to do as much fishing as possible. Is there any good places to salt water fish from the bank or fishing piers around. I would love to be able to go out salt water fishing for halibut from a boat but just can't afford it. If there are any good place to fish where and when is the best time of year to catch what kinds of fish. Also what type of rigs do I need to fish here. I am stationed at For Richardson so I am sure Whittier is the closest place for me to go regularly any information or help would be great. Thanks everyone.

Try using the search function. Lots of previous threads on surfcasting for Halibut,Salmon,Cod,etc. etc.
    Homer is good for surfcasting off the end of the spit.
    I don't think Alaska has any fishing piers to speak of. At least not like they have in the L48.
    As far as gear goes it depends on what you already own. You can use a regular salmon rod for some of it. Personally I own two surfcast rods. One is a 15' rod with a conventional spinning reel. The other is a 12' Alvey surfcast rod with an Alvey sidecast reel. I made my own rod holders from fence posts,pipe clamps and PVC. I also tie my own setups,catch my own bait,and cast my own surfcast specific sinkers from scrap lead using molds I bought online.
    You will need some sinkers that do not roll like a pyramid sinker. I use storm sinkers I cast myself just for surfcasting.Usually from 4oz-8oz.
    My setups are made using smaller 5/0 o-9/0 circle or J hooks and leader line using a salmon egg loop knot.
    I usually put a sinker slide on my line then tie on a swivel. I tie my leader setup to the swivel. Put on some bait and heave it out as far as I possibly can.
    I will say fishing from a boat is certainly more productive as far as Halibut goes. If I were you I would try saving up some $$ to be able to do at least one charter trip. You should be able to get on a decent charter for ~$250.
    I like surfcasting but also own a saltwater boat. I do so much better from my boat but the beach fishing has its place and can be done for less money.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I would throw out that for about $1,000 or 4 charters, you can get a sit on top kayak and drysuit.

It opens up a tremendous amount of water. I often car top my kayak on top of my civic and burn very little fuel.

It's an option to consider. It really depends on your comfort level on the water. But it's amazingly safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, I am deffenitly going to have to look into the surf pole, and some areas to do some surfcasting. I really, really want to get out and catch some halibut from a boat. The way I look at it is I can't leave Alaska and not do some real halibut fishing. Thanks again for the help.

I'll take you out, check your PM's. I was in your position what seems like forever ago!
    <)))><
    Live to fish, fish to live...

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    I'll take you out, check your PM's. I was in your position what seems like forever ago!
    Knew someone would step up to the plate!

Well done BB767!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I noticed you said "stationed here" So i take it you in the military. If you are stationed in JBER the Outdoor Rec Center has many boat available for rental, and at very reasonable prices as well. if you can get out a few time and learn the water ways, you can rent the boats and go do it yourself. they also have fishing equipment too. I get five guys together from work and if everyone splits the price you are going to only pay about 100 bucks per person. Plus it is a lot more fun to do it all yourself, kind of an added bonus. PM me and maybe we can work something out this summer.

Joe

You can snag for red salmon in Seward from the shore. Late May to June. Read this multi-page thread from last year that should give you all the info you need:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...eward+snagging

Thanks for all the helpful info. I am definitely going to get me a surf pole. I have a 3 day weekend this weekend and am really, really itching to do some fishing. Is there anyone that has caught any fish yet this year or is it still to early. If it is not I sure will give it a shot this weekend. Where would be a good place to try this early.