Thread: Trail cam and stand placement?

Default Trail cam and stand placement?

How far from your bait are you guys puttng your stand and trail cameras?

Thanks!

I run my stand 30-40 ft from the barrel around 18-21 foot up. My camera is about 10ft from the barrel it allows good judgement of size and

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I try to not have my camera more than 20ft away, and I always put it a little farther up in the tree and angle it down to the barrel, about at my chest height and i'm 6'0, just a personal preference there I guess. As far as my tree stand goes, I bow hunt and don't like more than a 25 yard shot, maximum 30 to the bait, if you're rifle hunting then you can squeeze it out farther and be a anywhere from 60-100 yards out, just keep in mind to have good shooting lanes towards your bait! Stand height, I don't go farther than 30 ft ever. but that's cuz I need a good angle to shoot at so i slam both lungs with an arrow. 25-30 ft is the sweet spot IMO. Hope it helps

Thanks for the replies!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

to keep from having 400000000 pics when you check your camera.. put it on a small tree.. and cut the top off about 5 foot up, making a post. our smallish trees up here are prone to the wind, and a shakeing tree can produce a TON of pics. i run mine 15-25 feet away.. and handel your camera BEFORE you handel the bait..She gets a little mad at me having to replace them all the time.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

A lot of the newer cameras only take pics when there is a thermal image, no more worrying about wind or branches

sent from my igloo

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    and handel your camera BEFORE you handel the bait..She gets a little mad at me having to replace them all the time.
    Ha ha ha... Good advice!

I put the camera out last week for a test run and sure enough between small branches and the tree shaking I had about 3,000 pictures of nothing! I have a nice big birch picked out for when i put it out on the bait, hope that works better!

Lock box's are well worth their money, protect your camera and stop people from walking up and checking your pics - trust me, it happens!!! No matter how careful you are, you'll get scent on the camera or if it's close to the bait, it may become a chew toy. I have $1000 in cameras with teeth marks all over them. I usually put two or three camera's on my bait station and one where I park my boat to keep an eye on things.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.