Thread: linking to websites using common words

Question linking to websites using common words

Wondering how some of you are able to link to a website by replacing the link (www.whatever.com) with any word (Bob's website)?? I know there is a technical term for this. I want to say parsing links, but I think parsing is just a connection to an outside website...

Just curious

Default oops

I guess I didn't think that (whatever.com) might be an actual website...I hope it's not a bad one, I can't access it here at school. <EEK>

Default Hyperlinking

Hyperlinking is the real power of the web. In either the basic or advanced edit window, just select the text with the mouse that you want to link, and then press this button:

Copy the link in the window that opens and press ok.

Parsing is to split up a longer string into component meanings; for example: outdoorsdirectory.com = outdoors directory.

I'm a compulsive hyperlinker.

David

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Wondering how some of you are able to link to a website by replacing the link (www.whatever.com) with any word (Bob's website)?? I know there is a technical term for this. I want to say parsing links, but I think parsing is just a connection to an outside website...

Just curious

Default Awesome, let's try it.

Cool, I like the clean look that it gives the O.D.D.

Thumbs up Alright

Who knew something so professional looking could be so easy to do! Thanks David!

BTW - I've experienced no problems with the forum today...probably issues with my machine.

Default what button?

I realize I'm resurrecting a long-dead thread here, but where is this button you're talking about on the editing screen? I don't see it. Apparently, I'm doing something wrong.

Default The missing button

The User CP gives you individual control over these things. Navigate so: User CP > edit options > miscellaneous options and select the enhanced interface.

I recommend spending a few minutes looking around the User CP. There are lots of options for customizing your forum experience.

David

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    I realize I'm resurrecting a long-dead thread here, but where is this button you're talking about on the editing screen? I don't see it. Apparently, I'm doing something wrong.

Default No test forum... so I'll do it here

I have never seen this so I will ask if it is common knowledge. I just figured out how to post photo links! Click my photo and it will take you to my album. Well I thought it was neat...

Interesting twist on photos. I hadn't thought of doing it this way.

We have a larger server (60 gb up from 20 gb) so we have space for more images. It's great to be able to use PhotoBucket, Picasa, and so forth, but if you don't have access to those, go ahead.

One disadvantage is that you're limited to 600 px wide images. However, if you're going to use the album feature anyway, what you're suggesting is an efficient way to go.

David