Thread: ketchikan inshore

Default ketchikan inshore

lets say i want to rent a skiff out of ketchikan, and stay withing a 3 mile radius of the town. Preferably close to shore as i have a young daughter. What months does the fishing start to pick up/slow down. What kinds of fish would i expect to run across bait fishing on the bottom, or using jigs? and would i be better off anchoring or drifting, And is there any fish to look out for (spikes, poisonous) To be honest i have no idea what swims around up there. Just looking to get off to a good start. only one month left till the move up there.

Within a three mile radius, you will find King Salmon, Pinks, Humpies, Silvers, Rock fish (all flavors), cod (different flavors), and Halibut. I have caught all of these right off of or near Mt. Point. Hope this helps.

You want to be very careful with the Rock Fish spines, especially the Quill Back ... also Rat Fish have a spine that can be real nasty if it gets you. Starry Flounder have lots of real sharp teeth.

I know a guy that got MRSA from halibut teeth. That was a very bad scene.

Ain't no pain like taking a quill back spine to the knuckle.. or through an extra tuff into the foot. 15 minutes of some rather intense pain. I've heard of guys calling the hospital it hurt so bad. Anywhere in the hand hurts, but the one that stuck straight in my knuckle stands out.

I got MRSA from salmon in the wrist back in 05. Came pretty **** close to losing my hand according to the doc. Intense pain and it didn't respond to any anti-biotic. Ol Doc in Craig cut it out and the nurse almost fainted. The puss pocket and little "tenticles" reaching down to my bone he had to get out. To this day no fat/muscle has grown back in that area on my wrist.

There's a lot of fun fishing to do close in around Ketchikan. With the little one, I would head out to the north end of town (Clover Pass and Knudson Cove). You can rent a skiff out there and much of the area is well protected and easy to get back in if the weather comes up. On the south end, it's a little more open to the elements and can get a little sloppy when the wind is blowing. I bet you could hit the cleaning tables at Knudson Cove in the evening and visit with folks cleaning fish. Most will be happy to share their opinions and tips and you can learn a lot from visiting with everyone. I grew up down there and spend nearly all my youth running around in a 14 foot Lund chasing salmon, cod, and halibut. It will not be long before you will start looking for a boat of your own is you stay there for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    There's a lot of fun fishing to do close in around Ketchikan. With the little one, I would head out to the north end of town (Clover Pass and Knudson Cove). You can rent a skiff out there and much of the area is well protected and easy to get back in if the weather comes up. On the south end, it's a little more open to the elements and can get a little sloppy when the wind is blowing. I bet you could hit the cleaning tables at Knudson Cove in the evening and visit with folks cleaning fish. Most will be happy to share their opinions and tips and you can learn a lot from visiting with everyone. I grew up down there and spend nearly all my youth running around in a 14 foot Lund chasing salmon, cod, and halibut. It will not be long before you will start looking for a boat of your own is you stay there for a while!
    Jeff, wasn't your Dad one of the owners of the marina?

Lol, i just sold a 14' Lund ssv, I'll prolly get something of that nature after being up there for at least a season. So if I Boga grip every thing, I should be ok. How steep are the drop off close to shore. I'm trying to see how much off my flounder fishing will carry over to halibut. But. To get in 50 feet of water in jersey. Your almost 3 miles out. Do the smaller halibut stay closer to shore? Berkeley gulp minnows are real popular over here on jig heads, I would assume halibut are close to the same, jigs or bait on the bottom. And do I need wire leader? I've never used it on flounder, Just bluefish and sharks. And. How about circle hooks for bottom fishing, Never could get hooked up with flounder ( I guess cause of the sideways mouth. But for stripers there good. Thanks in advance guys.

So I read online there are about 30 species of rockfish in Alaska, are they all mostly the same looking, Or will I only run into a few types fishing shallow?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Jeff, wasn't your Dad one of the owners of the marina?
    Yep, I sure miss those days!

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    So I read online there are about 30 species of rockfish in Alaska, are they all mostly the same looking, Or will I only run into a few types fishing shallow?
    I think you will find that in the correct shallow water areas you may run into larger Halibut rather than small. When the Salmon are running and hugging the coast some darn big fish follow them shallow. Your Flounder fishing tactics will work for Halibut as well. Circle hooks work great if you are patient and let them eat. Small, medium, and large jig heads with grub tails work very well up here for most species. You'll be looking for flats of sand or gravel in close proximity to drop-offs for Halibut and pinnacles or structure in deeper areas for Rockfish and Lingcod. Don't overlook fishing at the head of channels placing yourself on top of a flat with the tide coming uphill towards you. There is only a handful of Rockfish that you'll likely run into...Yellow eye, China, Quillback, Dusky, Silver Gray, and black. Study closely which are non-pelagic as they have smaller limits.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    Yep, I sure miss those days!
    I understand that.