Thread: ATV Moose hunt info needed

Default ATV Moose hunt info needed

Driving up from Washington state, looking for ideas on where to go for off-road moose camps. 20,30, 50 miles in or so. Has anyone of you done this? it looks like there will be 2 or 3 of us. any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your probably not going to net any responses ( serious ones anyways) with the information (or lack there of) given. Driving from Washington to where? What part of Alaska are you going to? What is the time frame how much time and money do you have set aside for this. I'm assuming you are hunting general season since you didn't mention and tags in particular. I mean you answered your own question there aren't many roads so if you go 20
    -50. Miles off of ANY road in Alaska you can find a moose somewhere unless you are way up north. Give some more info and we may be able to answer your questions.

A lot of people take ATV's quite a ways off the road systems up here. That can be done. Where to do it is completely up to you. Grab a good atlas and the ADF&G regulations and start coming up with ideas and verify if you can even hunt in an area given you're a non-resident. Use google maps or whatever map service that has satellite imaging to check for trails. If you have questions on the trails and if they're decent or not, try the ATV forum. Cross reference those areas with the State of AK website under the Department of Natural Resources to make sure it's public land. Use the ADF&G website to check harvest reports and such so you can check if an area is productive or not. Call the ADF&G biologist for any areas you've chosen and try to glean whatever info they're willing to give you concerning moose densities and things.

Good luck...

Yeah..would have to agree with Bsj425..about 3/4 of the population of Alaska does this 6 months out of the year...lol (ATV on trails up to 100s of miles) especially in moose season. You need to provide a ton of more info and timeframe. There are thousands of trails up here..come on up..pick up a good map, get with AFG and see what they recommend for the area you want to hunt and go for it.

I would want to know someone up here first before i drove up and went moose hunting on an ATV..more than likely the trails you pick are going to be a heavy hunted area anyway..so low numbers or lower chances of getting one. not wanting to bring ya down..sounds like a great trip. But so much to consider.

Good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Is there a non-resident general moose hunt? Can't recall this early in the AM.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Is there a non-resident general moose hunt? Can't recall this early in the AM.
    There are some. Just a quick glace shows that Fairbanks (all areas) has a non-resident harvest ticket hunt options. I'm sure there are plenty more around as well. Unit 13 is one unit that does not have a non-resident moose hunting option without a drawing permit.

Quote Originally Posted by labs_4_Sale View Post
    Driving up from Washington state, looking for ideas on where to go for off-road moose camps. 20,30, 50 miles in or so. Has anyone of you done this? it looks like there will be 2 or 3 of us. any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
    review maps in the regulations
    find hunt units with highways in them or on a border of the unit
    look in far left column to see if there is a B or a NR on any of the rows for moose
    look in the right columns to see if there is an HT on any of of the B or NR moose rows

That is your hunt area.

If you are lucky its allows for NR to take any bull, otherwise its 50" and 4 brow tines for NR in most units.

As to whether or not you can ATV into the unit, that will depend on your scouting and ATV skills. Nobody is going to state on here any details.

We are thinking 2 to 3 week round trip so actual hunt time would be around 2 weeks. We can stay longer if needed.

As far as hunt area goes we are coming up to hunt so what ever it takes to get into a good area that we can get tags for, with that being said the shorter the drive the better but we are flexible.

I wish we did know someone in Alaska but we don't so we will have to do it the hard way and learn as we go.

On the plus side for us we have hunted all of our lives, we all have moose hunted so we kinda know what we are getting into and we have all of the gear, finances and time available needed for this adventure, hopefully more than one time.

When you say driving up are you taking the ferry or driving through Canada?

We will be going thru Canada

[QUOTE=labs_4_Sale;1272105]

As far as hunt area goes we are coming up to hunt so what ever it takes to get into a good area that we can get tags for, with that being said the shorter the drive the better but we are flexible.

You do realize you are asking where to hunts from hunter that drive right by some of the best moose areas only to hunt where there are no moose.

I wish we did know someone in Alaska but we don't so we will have to do it the hard way and learn as we go.

I don't know about moose hunting in other states, along the road system in Alaska timing is everything. For instance one area I hunted is close to a town the local homestead all the good hunting areas before hunting season start leaving nothing for the weekenders. Another area the bulls are there the first few days of moose season and may or may not come back. Other areas I hunt late in the season when the bulls are here. So you have to know the best time to be there. That does not mean you can't get lucky.

What i'm trying to say is if someone give you a location find out when and how to hunt the area.

You said you are going to be hunting for two weeks you need to hunt before dawn to dark (not dust), every day.........and rain or shine not sit in camp waiting for a nice day. If you do this you will see moose.

another option is to contact a Hunt Planner (such as Mike Strahan) and they will be able to help you find an area to hunt (for a fee). They generally specialize in float hunts, but Strahan can help you plan a road access hunt also. I am using him this year to plan our first float hunt for moose.

We are thinking 2 to 3 week round trip so actual hunt time would be around 2 weeks. We can stay longer if needed.

On the plus side for us we have hunted all of our lives, we all have moose hunted so we kinda know what we are getting into and we have all of the gear, finances and time available needed for this adventure, hopefully more than one time.
    Keep in mind going 20 miles on a ATV will get you to where most locals can get, the spots that are hardest to get to locals have track rigs and argos to get to. You'd be wise to try for non-resident only hunts, I don't know anything about them so I can't help with that part.

Try past the canyon on Petersville road. 16a is open to NR.

North of Fairbanks there are trails. Maybe 20 miles north? I see
    People dragging moose out of there. Use google street view for assistance in finding trail heads.

Also have an exit strategy. If you get a bull you are going. To have to deal with an anima the size of a dead horse. And you have to transport that 50 miles out to a road without it spoiling. Learn to recognize what a moose area looks like. Best info for that is watch successful moose hunts and study the terrain and browse they are in

If you have the finances you should look at flying in. If you are that close to the road you will be hunting with all the locals that know the area and scout the areas. You will have much better chances If you get off the grid....And look at any bull areas.

Chances are very good that you're going to be hunting in an area with antler restrictions so you need to get familiar with how to judge moose racks. It's usually 50", 3 or 4 brow tines and if you've never done it before it could get you in trouble if you misjudge and shoot a sub legal bull. ADF&G has a video that teaches you how to judge moose antlers.