Thread: Lower 48 Powder Search,...ideas ??

Default Lower 48 Powder Search,...ideas ??

I'm going down to drive a car up from Denver, in end of April

had expected to pad my stash of my favorite powders on the way up
    save myself the HazMat hassle of getting Powder to Kodiak

Now, I'm worried I might not be able to find anything on the shelves down there,..

has anyone seen, or have recommendations on where I best might find some in that drive ??

I'll probably swing up through Seattle, but might go up into Montana first,..
    It's not that big a deal, but I hate to lose the opportunity to get, "Powdered Up," while driving home

I'd be willing to go out of my way, like into Remote Small Town Wyoming or something like that, to find some.

Actually...., now that I think about it,..maybe downtown Portlandia, would be the area of least demand ??

PS: does anyone have a clearer interpretation of this, from Canadian Customs:
    Just wondering, to be Certain,... what 4000 grams is, in relation to an 8lb Keg,...
    do I have to have it all in one pound containers,...?????

Quantities that may be imported for personal use and not for sale without requiring an Explosives Importation Permit from Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) include:

• small-arms, sporting ammunition, up to a maximum of 5,000 rounds;
    • primers, up to a quantity of 5,000;
    • empty primed cartridge cases, up to a quantity of 5,000; and
    • propellants, smokeless powder in containers not exceeding 4000 grams and black powder in containers not exceeding 500 grams, up to a maximum total combined quantity of 8 kilograms, (17.66 pounds).
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Just wondering, to be Certain,... what 4000 grams is, in relation to an 8lb Keg,...
    4000gm = 8.82 lb

If I was doing that I would order what I needed along the route and pick it up. Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Sportsmanship Warehouse, Gander Mountain etc, might take an order for you to pick up.

If you are after LilGun I have 5# in North Idaho. A pound of RL10.
    And a few others, I'd have to look and see what I know longer need.

I'll be down to Coeur d'Alene next week, I can check the local stores for you.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

An 8lb jug is 3628 grams. 28.35 grams to the ounce.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks guys,.....good info on the max, I had figured I could bring 8lb kegs across
    needed to be sure tho
    I already have 4-1lb. containers in the trunk

and "travelers," what I plan to grab is mainly RL-17
    might grab some Varget also

but I only load for .243, and .270wsm and already have a plentiful amount
    of my best success powders
    4350, 4831sc, RL-15, 19, and 22

so, thanks,...but I think RL-17, (or maybe more 4064),... would be all Im hoping to find

armymark,...do you know how reliable a pre-order would work?
    I'd hate to sit several days or more, waiting by Cabelas for late order to come in,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Talking

I'd hate to sit several days or more, waiting by Cabelas for late order to come in,...

Kodiak, if you call ahead they may already have it in the store. Pay for it and tell them you'll be in to pick it up on such and such date. At this point, I'd plan my route by every store that had bullets, powder and primers or have it sent to the store you want. Right now Cabelas has H380,414, Retumbo and a few others in stock. If you want any of those, call them and buy it telling them you want it delivered for store pick up in the locations you want. From Colorado, the cabelas web site has a store in every state between Co and every place you could cross into Canada, with 3 stores in Washington state. That is just cabelas, there are others along the way as well. Wish I had the vacation time, I'd volunteer to go with you! To help drive of course!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Thanks guys,.....good info on the max, I had figured I could bring 8lb kegs across
    needed to be sure tho
    I already have 4-1lb. containers in the trunk

and "travelers," what I plan to grab is mainly RL-17
    might grab some Varget also

but I only load for .243, and .270wsm and already have a plentiful amount
    of my best success powders
    4350, 4831sc, RL-15, 19, and 22

so, thanks,...but I think RL-17, (or maybe more 4064),... would be all Im hoping to find

I don't know how much you were thinking of trying to bring home, but if you already have 4 -1# cans in the trunk, you're only going to get ONE 8# keg and five more 1# cans before you hit the maximum allowed according to the restrictions you posted. Maybe you already realized that but it sounded like you were wanting to get multiple 8# kegs.

No, I do realize the limit, when I mention kegs, I was thinking either a couple 5lb jugs or an 8 and a 5,...
    maybe just more single pounders

wish I could get more,...but probably don't need to be putting any more money into my Reloading Habit anyway
    Thanks tho

Kodiak,

I am traveling a lot for work right now, mostly midwest and west coast, and i know the last time i was in Omaha, there was nooooo shortage of any powder you wanted at the Sheels and Cabelas, and also lots of cases at both stores. ammo, different story, but i was able to get about 20 boxes of 223 by being diligent and looking around. in the portland/vancouver area things are harder to come by. my parents still live down there and dad has been loading his whole life, and keeps a pretty good eye on things down there. he said the sportsmans was pretty low on stock, and the fishermans in portland was looking OK. there is also a cabelas in Lacey WA that might be work looking at if you are in that area. hope that helps in some small way!

That does help elkman,
    the Lacey WA stop was on the plan, as I know that is a pretty big place, and I will be in Seattle for a few days, so that's too close to miss,

The last time I was down there, in that area, (driving to Denver from Seattle) I swung through there
    just after the December mess, and was in a Cabellas in Oregon also,...somewhere right off I-5,
    and witnessing the throng of AR-15 buyers,...running on everything,....
    I bought a few pounds of powder,....not even thinking that the shelves would be emptied later,...
    No Doubt the Oregon store I was in was in serious Gun Owner country,...and they were not messing around,...
    I figured Lacey Wash might be the same, lots of hunters, grabbing all they can

So, I was wondering, hearing the general "Stockpile Mentality," up here, if it would be the same down in those strong Gun Owner areas

That's interesting that Omaha had good stocks, I wouldn't have thought that

I might look for a few bricks of .22LR also, if I run into someplace that has it,...

For some reason, I was thinking that the areas with lots of "Green, Bambi Friendly folks" might actually have more Ammo and Powder available on the shelves,..versus Wyoming and Idaho Montana, etc.

Hmmm, I'll do some posting as I drive, tell you guys what I see

I am on the east coast and Wal-Mart usually has IMR4064 and a couple others in stock for around $24-$25 per pound. Loaded ammo is a different story. Plenty of buck shot and low power shot gun shells. Some 22 shorts and CB's and not much else. It would be nice to see the shelves full again.

Good Luck.
    I thought I'd do the same thing. Just spent 2 weeks in GA and TN. The shelves down there were as bare as the shelves up here.
    Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I hope you find some powder before you get to Sportsmen's Warehouse in Portland. I've recently been to both that one and the one in Salem. Shelfs are bare. No rifle or handgun powders. Only primers were for the big .50. The stores just went back to SW control and the staff and stock is much improved, but powder and primers (and most bullets) are not to be had. They claim to be getting a little in and it sells fast.

Cabela's is in Springfield on the East side of I-5. Haven't been there in ages, so don't know what they might have in stock.

My usual local powder & primer source is Bi-Mart. Kind of a variety/hardware store that's employee owned. They're all over the PNW. No powders or primers in any of them that I've been to for several months.

I can't think of any way to help you out. I spend a lot of time on I-5...wave as you go by.

Thanks guys,....
    I think I'll try harder in the Rockies areas, just in the idea they might have been the types to stock up more,...??

Utah, Wyo., Idaho,... tho it doesn't even sound reasonable as I write,...that there'll be anything there
    but, for serious reloaders,....we all stocked up a while back right ?
    myself, I don't really NEED anything,...just looking to get a little more, while down there,...so it goes to reason,...Maybe (?)
    that the area of Heavy Gun Ownership, remote western areas,...those guys will already have all they need, prior to this latest run ?

Or,...the opposite side of the spectrum, I wonder if Southern California,...is green enough, to have stuff still on the shelves

Oh Well, I'm not desperate,...but it sure was a potential advantage having a car to drive up,...

I'll update this thread with my, "discoveries," as I get on the road, sometime in May

Teton Arms, in Jackson WY had some back in March not sure now, I used to live in WY, and know alot of the gun shops in that state, they said they get it in and its gone. Most powder available is on the northern east coast for what reason I don't know, doesn't seem like people on that side want it. At least from what I seen in the small shops. However, primers are 300 ct. limit.

The black sheep sporting goods in Lewiston and courdelene Idaho should usually have powder in stock and also the white elephant in spokane wash.

Release Lake Trout

Just as an update, to this thread,
    I have found what I needed, but it was kinda happenstance,...

I was cruising west toward the coast, and deep in, "backroads Arizona,"
    when I saw a good looking Gunshop in Prescott
    (sorry can't remember the name right now,...)
    but those guys had a Jag of RL-17,....so I grabbed several pounds,...they had a few other rather obscure types
    and nothing else,.........

Asking about it, they thought there would not be anything new coming in anytime soon,...
    so I just happened to need, what apparently not many others want, Reloader 17

anything else I was hoping for, not a chance
    but. honestly I have not been searching out every store since I started out from Denver

Just that one stop,...they had what I needed,...I only have room for one more pound
    So, as I head up through the Pac NW, I'll let you guys know what I see,...

I may be down here a little longer than planned, so it may be a while,..
    Basic Story: It's still pretty tight down here so far

I think ya got lost somehow to find yourself in my old stomping grounds of Prescott on the way back from Colorado. If Id known youd be through there I could have put you in with about anything you wanted. Prescott is gun nut central of the Southwest, just got to know who to call for the stuff in the back rooms.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Aww, I wish I'd have known that Andy,...tho I am pretty much set up, for now

I did end up having to do a detour over to San Diego for a while, so it isn't a straight shot north
    and now I'm in California,....so I may be out of Gunnut business for a while

I'm figuring I'll end up traveling up through Calif by going into the ranching country to the Eastern side of the state
    just cause I've never seen that yet, and by the time I'm in OR and WA I'll find some interesting places to stop in

You are right tho, I could feel it in my bones,...Arizona back country,...those guys do some shootin' now,...
    I could almost live down there, pretty cool country

Any ideas, for my last pound, I'm running out of ideas to experiment with,
    I have several of RL-17 for my .270wsm, and lots of other stuff for that up north
    then for my .243
    I picked up a couple lbs of IMR 4895, and Varget,...
    I have plenty of 4064, 4350, 4831, at home,....so,...
    what else should I grab,....or look for I mean,...to get to my max of 8lbs thru Canada,...??
    primarily for .243