Thread: Shot the FA .45 Colt/ .454 Casull at the range this morning...

Default Shot the FA .45 Colt/ .454 Casull at the range this morning...

It was all that I expected it to be...the gun out shoots me, that's what I wanted...22 grs. H110 w/335 gr. bullet shot to within an 1" 1/4 @ 20 yards....about max for my cold hands...the 22.3 gr. H110 was not quite as good but much more uncomfortable to shoot...I may settle on 22grs.....also I shot a 280 gr.(SSA 270) bullet with 20grs. H110 very accurate...a little more experimenting and I'll be ready for bear baiting...almost forgot they were all .45 Colt, I don't really see a need for a .454 Casull... now I'm going to run and scrub the cylinder..............

I shoot a hotter load but my gun has a much shorter barrel than yours and needs the extra powder to equal you.Then again I'm still a youngster.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I shoot a hotter load but my gun has a much shorter barrel than yours and needs the extra powder to equal you.Then again I'm still a youngster.
    .. I'm shooting a FA with a 4" 3/4 barrel...I don't see much need to drive a 335 gr. bullet much past 1,100 fps..I'm still a youngster to at 65...

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    .. I'm shooting a FA with a 4" 3/4 barrel...I don't see much need to drive a 335 gr. bullet much past 1,100 fps..
    I agree. I shoot a 345 grain bullet at 1050 fps from a Blackhawk, and I think that's all you need. Additional velocity doesn't really gain you anything except additional recoil. Given that, I'm curious why you chose to go with the 454 length cylinder in your FA as opposed to a Colt length cylinder?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I agree. I shoot a 345 grain bullet at 1050 fps from a Blackhawk, and I think that's all you need. Additional velocity doesn't really gain you anything except additional recoil. Given that, I'm curious why you chose to go with the 454 length cylinder in your FA as opposed to a Colt length cylinder?
    The cylinders are the same length in the FA 83.

Oneriver, no need to scrub after your session IME, I shoot a good many before I worry about cleaning at 45 Colt load levels and have never experience a problem when going back to 454's

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...I don't have a .45 Colt cylinder...the extra cylinder I bought the gun with was advertised as .45 Colt and turned out to be .45 Auto...I will probably never shoot .454 in it...I have a 1,000 Starline brass in .45 Colt and that's my go to caliber...

IMG_0887.JPG Here is my FA..I think it is a model 97, it's stamped Premier Grade...What I don't understand the difference between the model 83 and 97..one has a manual transfer bar safety, I don't understand the manual part..?

My shorter barrel
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

OneRiver,

Glad to hear she shoots the way she looks. I love my stainless blackhawk in 45Colt and I wil never go back to a 44 mag after it. Has about equal loads in terms of performance with a little fatter boolit and alot less recoil than my old 44mag had. I love the 45colt ruger loads. I do like a 454 but I had issues with crimping on brass that had been fired 3 to 4 times. I am strictly 45Colt now and wont look back. I think it will do for any critter you wanna punch holes in.

Nice gun Skip. I am glad you are enjoying it.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oneriver View Post
    IMG_0887.JPG Here is my FA..I think it is a model 97, it's stamped Premier Grade...What I don't understand the difference between the model 83 and 97..one has a manual transfer bar safety, I don't understand the manual part..?
    Beautiful gun!

I don't believe the 97 is available in .454Casull and is smaller framed than the 83. If it's a .454, it's an 83.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Beautiful gun!

I don't believe the 97 is available in .454Casull and is smaller framed than the 83. If it's a .454, it's an 83.
    thnx, I wasn't sure...