Thread: Too cold to fire up the boat?

Default Too cold to fire up the boat?

So is it still too cold to fire up the I/O ? Its a closed system. I have it winterized. Was wanting to head down to Whittier. But I like to fire it up in the yard first. But with it staying below freezing at night I dont want to winterize it again after flushing it out with fresh water. Last year it seemed to be in the 30's at night and I had no problems.

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I know how you feel last night was the first night it did not go below zero since I don't remember when.

I would not do it. I think you would be OK to crank it over and run it for a few seconds as a check. The impeller should have the winterizing fluid in it and I would not expect it would hurt to run it for 30 seconds. I am just going to wait until I put mine in the water later this week and hope all is well. Hoping it will really start to warm up this week.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

One option is to put a battery heater or small space heater in the engine compartment overnight. That way the engine is warm for a start up. I wouldn't do it without that with the temperatures we are currently seeing at night. Good chance of tearing up the impeller. It also depends on how you winterized. If you simply drained the system then there is likely still some mositure in the system-which could mean damage to the impeller. If you winterized with antifreeze then you should be O.K. but I would still want to warm her up prior to starting.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Guess I'll wait another week and hope it warms up. I did winterize it with the -100 antifreeze and had a Boat safe heater in the bilge all winter just to play it safe

stick a digital thermometer in the engine bay and see how warm it stays (you could monitor it all winter if ya wanted to)... use to put a heat lamp in the engine compartment and it would stay relatively warm in there when it was cold out.

Winterizing is so simple I'd run that motor in the yard for 10 minutes, a quick fire up is not enough to get all the seals & internals sufficiently warmed & lubed.
    Globe and others make "run dry" water pump impellers; pricey but could be a wise investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Globe and others make "run dry" water pump impellers; pricey but could be a wise investment.
    Thanks never knew that found one tonight for $36.00 runs up to 15 min dry.

If you run it dry, wouldn't the engine overheat?

Surprisingly low cost compared to what's available locally.
    skydiver, yeah it will overheat in short order. Since lots of people fire up their motors just briefly to winterize or fog the engine, it's not catastrophic to do so without water running thru it (just for a few seconds) but I think it does put where-n-tear on the impeller. They make the run dry impellers for this reason.
    When I change mine, I'm going with those.

I wouldn't run one dry no matter what type of impeller I had. If there is any water in the pump at all and the temperatures are below freezing you will tear up the impeller-run dry or not. Simple solution is to warm up the engine compartment overnight-that way everything is warm-then hook up your water source and run it for 10-20 minutes until you are confident that everything is working fine. The problem with running it for a short time is that if you do have a damaged impeller or if your charging system isn't working correctly or any of many other issues you won't know about it until you hit the water...IMHO...

A normal outboard will drain from the engine down. The issue of freezing is the little pisser hose or something there. Most guys back them in the water and start them up. If they don't pee in a few minutes, shut them down and let the warm motor start to thaw it out. Crank it back up an do it again. It doesn't take much time to do it.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Hope she fires up for ya soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks never knew that found one tonight for $36.00 runs up to 15 min dry.
    I never had any luck with those Globe impellors. Keep a eye on it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    A normal outboard will drain from the engine down. The issue of freezing is the little pisser hose or something there. Most guys back them in the water and start them up. If they don't pee in a few minutes, shut them down and let the warm motor start to thaw it out. Crank it back up an do it again. It doesn't take much time to do it.

He has an I/O. Different system than an OB.

Yep... Just realized that.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yep... Just realized that.
    But now that you brought it up one trick I learned when I used to run with OBs in cold weather is to use a small wire and run it up through the pisser outlet and use it to break up the ice that formed. Or you can just take the cowling off, remove the end of the pisser hose from the outlet port and by either moving it around or holding it in your warm hands thaw it out. Lots of ways to skin that cat but I always wanted to see that water coming out.....

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I never had any luck with those Globe impellors. Keep a eye on it.
    Why Steve ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Why Steve ?
    blades would crack or bust off sooner than the other brand impellors

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692