Thread: Homer info

Default Homer info

Okay big request here! Where is this pogi you guys talk about? I don't see it on google earth.

Also where are the kelp beds everyone talks about?

In getting a new sailing kayak this summer that will be increasing my range and am looking for new spots to explore.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Okay big request here! Where is this pogi you guys talk about? I don't see it on google earth.

Also where are the kelp beds everyone talks about?

In getting a new sailing kayak this summer that will be increasing my range and am looking for new spots to explore.

Thanks for the info!
    Pt Pogi: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...5f695f16fb8316

Kelp beds but old data but you get an idea. they change every year. See page 59. It's super old data but my undertanding is they are in similar places. http://nerrs.noaa.gov/doc/pdf/reserv...iteprofile.pdf

I found another map for the kelp beds as well using google. We were pretty much at them at the king tourney. Also more researching on this site has led me to believe pogi can be a scary place during the tide change

We may have been. A few time looking for bottom I'd snag up but could always pull free with 65lbs spectra and 40lbs flouro. I didn't recall seeing anything on the sonar though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah, Pogi is 20 miles out from the spit and that's straight across. Doing 6 to 8 knts which is what I think a AI or TI will cruise at, it's still a 3 hour one way trip. You better have that tacking into the wind thing down before you go that far or start running marathons! The problem is when you are going that fast, not much fishing going on unless we have tuna around here. lol.

I'm sure I wil try extended trips at some point. But I think I am going to know every inch of the Islands and to Seldovia before I venture futher out if I pick up a TI. Seward it helps extend range to Fox Island (10 miles) and Pigot Point and Blackstone Bay out of Whittier. Much past 10 miles, you are talking about 4 hours of run time versus fishing time for a round trip. Who knows, maybe sailing is that much fun...personally I think it isn't going to be as fun as fishing and catching but then again who knows.

I've been plotting out trips to places I used to go with my ocean boat. None of them are single day trips, they are all about spending a day getting there, camp, fish in the morning and get back hella late. While the AI extends my range, the best I've seen the Aussies do is about 50km in a day (about 30 miles). When they do that they are rolling along about 8 knots.

Instead of doing weekend trips this year I'm going to try and do a few weeklong trips. It's such a waste to try and do these trips in two days.

I found another map for the kelp beds as well using google. We were pretty much at them at the king tourney. Also more researching on this site has led me to believe pogi can be a scary place during the tide change
    At Pt. Pogi the tide rips very hard and causes a 'washing machine' effect. It can be a very dangerous place within a couple hundred yard of shore. Most boats will take that corner wide to reduce the effects. Once around there it is kind of a different world...the tide rips along the coast and is very rocky up through and past Flat Is. and Magnet Rock. You can lose a ton of tackle between Flat Is. and the mainland if you bottom fish there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Instead of doing weekend trips this year I'm going to try and do a few weeklong trips. It's such a waste to try and do these trips in two days.
    You and Akfishin must already be solidly married or committed to being single forever...that ain't gonna fly in this household, I'm kinda stuck in the middle. I am thinking about getting a two seater though I have heard tandem kayaks referred to as "divorce maker" yaks....

Solidly single here, and honestly if I wasn't I would have gotten 2 AIs instead of a TI. That thing is just a beast, can't imagine car topping an AI and from what I've heard about the TIs you don't wanna cart them very far, instead breaking them down for transport to the beach and such if solo.

Gotta admit I am thinking of getting another AI for 'guests'.

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    Solidly single here, and honestly if I wasn't I would have gotten 2 AIs instead of a TI. That thing is just a beast, can't imagine car topping an AI and from what I've heard about the TIs you don't wanna cart them very far, instead breaking them down for transport to the beach and such if solo.

Gotta admit I am thinking of getting another AI for 'guests'.
    Thanks for spending another $2K of my money...cuz, that's probably a MUCH better idea buying two AI's for both redundancy and on small lakes or in dead calm bays, I figure an AI can carry one adult and one maybe even two kids with the trampoline. Hmmm...why didn't I think about that?

A TI is definitely a boat from a launch perspective. Plus I'll definitely need to pick up a trailer...hmm...

The other option is to just fire up my 21 ft center console with a 150hp...I wonder if it will fire up after 4 years of sitting. Pick up maybe another smaller yak, Load the kayaks and split the time between powerboating and kayaking for the five of us.

I'll be posting another trip idea for mid July out of Homer at NWKA. You sail guys can make it their and back in a day. I may need to get shuttled out. I might try out of Whittier but that is definitely a shuttle trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    ,,,, I may need to get shuttled out.
    Go ahead and give them a 2 day headstart... I'll get you there before lunch.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I gotta tell ya Kard, you are gonna want a trailer for an AI. I thought about car topping it til it showed up. Once I tried to wrestle it around, I've never been happier to have a trailer.

Where u thinking of going out of Whittier?

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Go ahead and give them a 2 day headstart... I'll get you there before lunch.
    Dave! Shhh!! Haha! Your my ace in the hole for the sprint to fish!!!!!! Not only can I beat them there, I can bring an entire camp with grill and a bar with your help!!! Lol.

Steve the pot builder said Esther island hatchery. 25 miles out during the chum run from Whittier. Been there at that time and I think it's a good bet. My only concern was the thousand miles of commercial nets. I definitely dont want to hassle those folks working for living. I guess they don't fish in the inlet/bay. Just want to get a sleigh ride, video tape it, touch the leader and hopefully fish and cut it off. Too much care required for shark meat to kill on a kayak.

I won't be car topping the AI/TI. Though it is just an adventure with outriggers, no? The AI is intriguing since I've heard others say it excels as a offshore boat without the sails and outriggers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The hull by itself is the adventure. When you add the akas, amas and sail you have the adventure island.

I've been reading tons in the last two years as I don't want to drill unnecessary holes in the hull. Basicly the second you add the sail and such, most people find that mounting rod holders in front of the seat tends to get in the way. Same with sounder and GPS. The Aussies seem to have it dialed in better than anyone else that I've seen.

The hull by itself is 16' and 75lbs of a pain in the arse to carry single handed.

The nice thing is you can get the adventure and add the kit to convert to an adventure island later. I didn't do it because either way it's the same darn price and in alaska you'd end up paying the shipping twice. Might as well drop the 3800 at one shot. Course I did that and the trailer and everything else I wanted at one time. Hobie cat northwest dropped it at carlile and I picked it up de them down in the port. Was really reasonable for the amount of stuff I ordered (yea, don't ask).

Oh yea, hobie figures each trampoline can haul about 200 lbs. so that's what, about 750 lbs of capacity on a kayak as the hull is rated for 325 or 350 (can't remember off the top of my head)

There is a disclaimer in hobies tramp kit that says they do not increase payload capacity of the hull. The AI is rated for 350. But that being said I think you can throw more than 350 on there

The reason for the disclaimer is because Hobie doesn't see an adventure any different than an AI, because the adventure is the parent hull of the AI. If you own an adventure, throw down another 1800 and you've got an AI. When you also take into account that the AI can be used as a hull alone (thus becoming an adventure) they have to leave the original capacity plate intact. The funny thing about the disclaimer on the tramp kit is that you can't use them unless you're already in an AI configuration in the first place.

The tramps with out some mods, the webbing will loosen during use and then the tramp will sag a bunch. I'm sure the disclaimer was because someone at some point *****ed at them when their tramp dumped their stuff in the ocean and it sank.

If you wanted to be completely correct, the plate on the AI should list about 50 lbs less carrying capacity then a straight adventure hull. You add about 50lbs of stuff with the akas, amas, and sail, hence why I'm always sitting in a puddle of water.