Thread: Tire Ratings

Question Tire Ratings

What rated tires should I have for truck and trailer tires. 1/2 ton truck. 3500 lb trailer axle.

Default Load Range

I only use load range D or E. The added strength really helps on Ak roads and the Haul Road hitting stones. Never had a flat running up north.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Typically I have to agree with Dave, however a half ton truck usually has a softer suspension, tires being part of that. If you put D or E range on your truck you will sacrifice some smoothness in the ride. The trade off is a sturdier tire so its up to you.

Agreed, E rated tires will hold up to stone cuts better. I have friends who drive their SUVs up north with car tires on them (that's what comes on them) and they are the ones who are getting 4-5 flats in per trip. I'd rather have a slightly stiffer ride and not have to be fixing flats.

Ya, HD six ply tires for the Elliot and Dalton for sure. That crushed rock they use is some sharp stuff. Although for driving the ALCAN I don't think it's necessary. Heck, you can drive the ALCAN in a car now.

The E-rated tires have treated me very well. I had 3 flats on my Tahoe one summer with P-rated (2-ply) tires. I didn't have a single flat after switching to LT tires with an E load range. I have made two trips up the Al-Can with E-rated tires. No flats on either trip. The stiffer sidewalls of the E-rated tires also help in cornering stability while towing a load.

I gladly give up a little ride quality for a more durable tire.

E rated would be my pitch as well. Rancho 9000 shocks will help with the stiffer ride when you don't need it. I really appreciate mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    The E-rated tires have treated me very well. I had 3 flats on my Tahoe one summer with P-rated (2-ply) tires. I didn't have a single flat after switching to LT tires with an E load range. I have made two trips up the Al-Can with E-rated tires. No flats on either trip. The stiffer sidewalls of the E-rated tires also help in cornering stability while towing a load.

I gladly give up a little ride quality for a more durable tire.
    It has always graveled me that they put P (passenger) tires on trucks instead of LT's. I guess they are cheaper and make for a more comfortable urban cruiser sales pitch.

It helps make that truck ride more like a car. The F-150 isn't the top seller because it rides like a truck

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    It has always graveled me that they put P (passenger) tires on trucks instead of LT's. I guess they are cheaper and make for a more comfortable urban cruiser sales pitch.

There are too few people (in the entire county) that actually use a Truck as a Truck. I saw more trucks/SUV's (most were 4x4's too) in San Francisco than I did cars. They cater to the masses, and the rest of us have to suffer a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    It helps make that truck ride more like a car. The F-150 isn't the top seller because it rides like a truck

I thought the GM’s rode better than the F-series?
    Don’t get me wrong I love my Ford I just wish they would put a oil burner in the F-150.
    Last edited by akula682; 05-19-2007 at 18:03. Reason: addition