Thread: Kuiu Hooded Super Down Jacket review w/pics

Post Kuiu Hooded Super Down Jacket review w/pics

I was curious as I'm sure most everyone else is, as to the fit of the Hooded Super Down. I recently received my medium jacket after a much anticipated wait, and was eager to see how it would fit on my frame. I am 5' 10", 160 pounds and average/athletically built. I am more legs than torso so in other words, I don't have the stalky or half and half build. My first impressions of the fabric and finish were very good. Attention to detail was obviously done during the design and test phases. Sliding the jacket on I noticed how incredibly light it is. The length of the sleeves fit me perfectly ending just past my wrist at the base of my thumb. The sleeves are of slim design and leave just enough space to be comfortable, but still tight enough to use as a layer. The torso is a hair big on me but conformed better once I synched down the draw string that runs around the bottom of the jacket. That extra space would allow for plenty of layering or room for someone with a little more "cushion" than I have. The hood has a nice cut to it and allows for great peripheral vision. I am more than pleased with the jacket and look forward to using it in the field. It will definately be on my next sheep hunt that's for sure, but first will keep me warm and stylish tonight when the wife and I go on a dinner date! Below are some pictures that I hope are helpful for those of you that are curious as to how one of these may fit you. Sorry, I'm not a professional model or artist so deal with it!

AZinAK

Measurements for the below pic...

Neck circumference- 14"
    Shoulder circumference- 47"
    Chest circumference- 36"
    Waist circumference- 33"
    Torso length from collar bone to belly button- 16"
    Arm length from base of neck down the outside of the arm to the wrist- 29"
    Bicep circumference- 14"
    Wrist circumference- 7"

To clarify, the drawing and measurements are my measurements so as anyone else can take theirs and compare to see if a medium will work or if you would need to go larger. Eventually after some time and use, I will review how well the jacket holds up and how well it performs as it's meant to.

AZinAK

Great review! We need more gear reviews like this!!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Nice review. Thanks. And thanks for the mention in the other forum; I've never looked at this one before.

That jacket looks good!!! Looking like a sheep hunter for sure.
    The picture you drew of me, I didn't know you were going to post it, however......you forgot to draw in my abs that I worked so hard for...

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    The picture you drew of me, I didn't know you were going to post it, however......you forgot to draw in my abs that I worked so hard for...
    I thought you had 15" arms??
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Sorry Chuck for not getting those abs in there...you're so animated when you talk it was hard to get the detail I wanted while you told of sheep hunts and walking into sunsets...I obviously mislabeled the sketch as your dimensions are closer to maybe Gerard Butler in the movie 300. I'll try and post something a little closer to form in the near future! I do still need to pick your brain on sheep...PMs will be on their way...

Chris

You guys are funny.... and Chris, that's some good drawing.
    I've been looking at the "new" down that kuiu offers, I have the spindrift from last season, but really looking for something for late season hunts.
    Chris, you can PM me anytime buddy......

I can give some info on how it performs and holds up. I've had mine since December and have taken it out ice fishing and done an extensive amount of predator hunting with it.

First off, the fit couldn't be more perfect on mine. I have an extra large in the verde camo configuration. I am about 6' and weigh 245 lbs. Trust me, it's not all muscle. I would say the fit couldn't be better. The cuffs aren't adjustable and I though I would dislike that, but I have found that the stretchy neoprene material that they have on a portion of the cuff gives the perfect amount of flex. The only down side is that the neoprene on the cuffs does not dry fast. It stays wet for a long time so it's not in tune with the rest of the jacket. There were a few times that I stuck my entire arm down the ice fishing hole to get hooks off the bottom edge of the ice. I purposely did not pull my sleeve up because I wanted to test the new Quixdown in a freezing cold environment. The down performed flawlessly as did the outer shell. It shed all moisture even before it could freeze in the -20 temps. The neoprene like material did however freeze before it could shed its water.

I have put many miles on this jacket in extremely cold temps. The coldest that I have ventured is -40 while out snowmachining and predator hunting. I did have a thin shell over it which blocked the wind. I can't say that I never got cold on that -40 day but I didn't freeze. I have also taken it out on days that were about 10 above and I would sweat while riding and it seemed to do great when I stopped. My other jackets have been horrible with this in the past and I have froze up about 5 minutes after stopping.

The outer shell material is super thin. It is very durable but make sure that you be careful when around the fire. After the first ice fishing trip I found 2 tiny holes from where sparks or ashes had burned through. I thought I had been extra careful but I still managed to put some micro holes in the outer material. I found that a small dab of clear superglue was perfect for sealing the holes up. It made a hard surface that has not opened back up, and u can't even tell they are there.

The jacket gets 5 out of 5 stars from me because of the amazing technology, lightweight, and great fit. I would however give it an extra point if they had changed one thing. The thread that they used to sew all of the baffles over the entire jacket is too thin. The thread is regular thread and not to the same standards as the rest of the amazing materials of the jacket. The thread does snagg on stuff and when it does it breaks. I could see this jacket being improved upon by using a higher quality thread like a braided dacron line. I don't think it would add allot of weight but it would add allot of integrity to the jacket.

Sorry I was so long winded. Here's a photo of me wearing the jacket while I was out predator hunting back in February.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366355030.968763.jpg
    P2280082.jpg

Thanks for the added info 907pride! Good stuff. I've been working so much I haven't been able to wear it much unfortunately. It will get some field use for sure and I'll be sure to report back with my own experiences and findings. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the theatre in Wasilla a couple weeks back...The Croods was what the wife and I took our kids to see. I almost commented on what a nice jacket you had but didn't want to be the creepy guy drooling over gear! LOL Thanks again for the input.

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Thanks for the added info 907pride! Good stuff. I've been working so much I haven't been able to wear it much unfortunately. It will get some field use for sure and I'll be sure to report back with my own experiences and findings. I'm pretty sure I saw you at the theatre in Wasilla a couple weeks back...The Croods was what the wife and I took our kids to see. I almost commented on what a nice jacket you had but didn't want to be the creepy guy drooling over gear! LOL Thanks again for the input.

AZinAK
    Thats pretty funny. That was me. My wife and I went to see it. I don't think my wife would have bought this jacket for me for Christmas if she would have known that I'd wear it everywhere we go.

I wouldn't have thought you were creepy. I just would have pegged you as a sheep hunter. I'm headed out to scout bears today, so I better get going. I'll probably see you around, in your super down. later. 907

I am new to this forum this is my first post and here is why. I was excited when i heard about this jacket so i ordered one, when it arrived my first impression was the fit is nice good job on that, looking closer at the thread and quality it seemed very sloppy and below the low grade mountaineering down jackets. After ten minutes of wearing this jacket i felt the arm get restrictive and looked down to see the thread coming out. I emailed kuiu and got a canned response of how i had to send the jacket to a third party repair shop to evaluate and there could be additional costs to me, i said could. Talk about stand behind your product. Being a long time alaskan hunting,mountaineering ,sking, and all the fun alaskan activities i have many down jackets western mountaineering, mammut,rab,patagonia,feathered friends,norrona. This jacket falls short of all of them, i was hoping someone has finally brought some mountaineering quality to hunting gear. I would pay $100.00 dollars more for this jacket if was the same quality as some of my other jackets. If this is the great jacket that everybody in the hunting community is squwakking about then somebody please raise the bar, I think it is great what kuiu is trying to do and commend them on it however anything worth doing should be done right. After i cooled down from the canned response from kuiu i called my neighbor who has the new badd ass carbon fiber pack and said let me look at that thing. I have a business building carbon fiber aircraft components, i am a A&P mechanic and a long time alaska pilot. Looking at the pack frame it seemed clever,but when you look close and understand composites it was leaving alot on the table for strength to weight using composites. The pack frame also has a fair amount of glass in it as well as carbon fiber and the fiber orientation was not utilized so all the fibers are working for how the pack is designed which equates to more weight less strength. The layup was resin rich so much that there is evidence of air bubbles in the corners and signs of hydraulic lock up of the resin during the vac-bagging process. The frame i saw on the very bottom where the plastic trim piece goes to protect the hip belt was all resin and partially broken because lack of fibers.
    Since i was doing a mold for some aircraft parts i took my freinds pack and made a quickie mold to see how i could do compared to the resin rich pack frame. After curing the mold i used some old middle of the road general purpose epoxy i had laying around in the hanger. i counted the layers used in the existing frame and tried a 100% carbon fiber frame with the fibers all oriented in the way the pack is designed to work. After a standard vac -bagg layup i ended up with a frame much more rigid in all aspects and 3 oz. lighter which tells me if i where to match the same flex mod. as the existing pack it would be even lighter.
    A properly done composite vac-bagged should be 60% fibers or greater 40% resin. WHat happens when there is more resin than fibers it becomes brittle and cracks and usually takes the fibers with it. There was evidence of brittle resin cracking in the existing pack. KUIU is leaving alot on the table for frame building also. Again i commend them for doing trying to build these products and think they are very close to getting it right but anything worth doing should be done to the absolute best it can be.
    The frame could be lightened up a fair bit more if they would use the fibers in a proper manner and change a few shapes to gain strength and flex by using the fibers in a certain configuration and avoid resin rich corners,air bubbles and hydraulic locking of resin.
    I am not trying to trash kuiu like i said i commend them on there efforts it is companies like this that help us get to the next step in future gear. I only wish they stood behind there products and had a better return policy that canned letter really pissed me off.

Next time you call Kuiu ask them if they need some help! Sounds as if you could give them a hand on their designs. Thanks for the review. From what I saw, the thread was the biggest downfall of the jacket. I haven't looked at their packs, but thanks for the in depth view.

drakes...great information. It's good to get the full spectrum of experience with a product to include the good, bad, and ugly. I had been wearing the Super Down a lot until recently as it has gotten too warm out. I haven't had any issues so far to include no stitch binding or fraying. I will say that on inspection, the stitching does seem to be the weak point on the jacket. I really enjoyed your explanation on your frame redesign. I am an aircraft mechanic myself and for a couple years my work included composite layups and fiberglass work. I haven't seen a Kuiu pack in person but from the pictures and reviews I've read I can't say I'm impressed enough to seek one out to look at, let alone purchase. For a pack of that style I would purchase a Kifaru personally. As 907pride suggested, I would get your information and tinkering experience so far to Kuiu. The best way to do that would be to go the Kuiu's site and register on their forum. You can post on there your experience with their products, and explain your findings. There are Kuiu employees on there frequently to include the owner Jason Hairston. He especially from what I've seen on there is extremely open to critique and design ideas.

AZinAK

I dont really have the time to post all over about this jacket, but if someone wants to repost it somewhere else go for it. I will not give KUIU any info on what improvements i would do unless they make it right for me on this jacket. My order #133497 until then i will continue to tell all my hunting buddies which some are guides and outfitters and do some flying for them in the fall up here in Alaska of my experience with KUIU. If KUIU wants to contact me then they can but i think there service quality policies suck. Until i see different with them i will not be purchasing any of there products.

drakes...you should be hearing from Kuiu soon if you haven't already. I hope you guys get things figured out.

AZinAK

I think that ANY company, KUIU, included is going to have a story like this. No company is perfect. However, if you look at the broad array of feedback KUIU, Sitka, First Light, etc. are all good companies who try their best to help us out. Sometimes it takes more work on our part than we would like to get things resolved, but if you are persistent and don't treat the poor customer service rep like a jerk things have a way of working out. I think that given a bit of time KUIU will treat ya right. As for the frame.. It is the known weakness of a great idea. I just hope the next few years will kick the ICON packs to the next level.

KUIU has done a easy exchange for me. Thank you kuiu. Yes i would help kuiu in anyway with there packs and anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by drakes View Post
    KUIU has done a easy exchange for me. Thank you kuiu. Yes i would help kuiu in anyway with there packs and anybody else.
    Sure would be interested to see what you did with the pack frame and the pictures of the two side by side. Any chance you can post that?

drake...I'm glad Kuiu took care of you. You're the first person that I've heard of that took the second time to be taken care of, but either way I'm glad. I contacted them and explained this thread and got a very pleasant and thankful email in response saying they would definately be contacting you. I think that your experience and obvious passion for innovation and improvement upon your products (I'm sure regardless of what it is) could end up helping all of us out if they took your input and custom frame to heart. Hope they do.

AZinAK