Thread: Salmon float fishing trip

Default Salmon float fishing trip

The Air Force brought me here 3 years ago and this is my last summer. Unfortunately due to deployments, I have not been able to take full advantage of the AK experience. I would like to do a salmon/trout float fishing this summer in mid June. I would like to do an unguided trip. So is there any place in the Bristol bay area that I can fly into, secure the necessary float gear and charter plane to drop me off several miles upstream? I hope that is not too vague.

Check out the Papa Bear Adventures website and then call Steve. Great outfit. Used his services for a float on the Kwethluk last Sept. Top shelf operation. If you need any basics on float trips, gear suggestions, etc.. feel free to shoot me a PM. Happy to share any info I got with you. Float trips are the best way to see Alaska in my opinion. Wife and I try to do one every year, or close to it. Just nothing else like it.

-Dan

Mid June is a tad early, but with that said, Branch River Air in King Salmon knows the Bristol Bay region and has all the needed gear for DIY trips.
    If you have some flexibility with your schedule, I'd aim closer to early July for prime time river fishing for salmon, specifically sockeye.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

"Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

That is some big words there man. Used that line at work yesterday while I was in charge, had a bunch of new folks working with me, tough day, fuses were short. When I told them this quote, they all sat there with their mouths open. Clearly, it got them thinking about why they have jobs in the first place and a light went off. As a registered nurse, if that quote doesn't mean something to you, I suspect you have chosen your profession poorly. Off subject, but couldn't help but to let you know what a great signature line that is. It's meaning has far reaching implications.

“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Mid June is a tad early, but with that said, Branch River Air in King Salmon knows the Bristol Bay region and has all the needed gear for DIY trips.
    If you have some flexibility with your schedule, I'd aim closer to early July for prime time river fishing for salmon, specifically sockeye.
    Hmmmm I know I'll be there in July!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Thanks for all the info. Since I am moving back to the lower 48 this summer, I do not have much flexibility in the timing. I will follow up on the suggestions - thanks!

I spent two weeks on ATVs, in a tent hunting moose (Steese Hwy) and caribou (Chicken). Saw a beast over mile away/across an unknown river and not a single caribou...was one of the best trips I’ve ever had. Great company, great scenery and I was outdoors. Fish and hunt when you can, wherever you can, and the monotony of daily life diminishes.