Thread: New to site

Default New to site

Just wanted to say hi and hope I can help out with posts. This has been my first winter fishing. Still lots to learn.

Hey Pete I'm here also

Pete, Steve here, I know a few places, welcome to the site. Matauaska lake , Irene lake have some of the Largest charr in the Mat su valley, palmer area, walby, seymor, beaver lakes have some whopper rainbows in those lakes, Byers lake is a good one also, Those Charr are great fighters! when u get one on line over 30 inches. Ive seen Rainbows big as 37 inches in some our lakes here. best times are on hardwater are feb-april, and in the spring from melt out till end of june and late fall. Shrimp, flys, spoons, good dry eggs.

welcome! hope to see your adventures posted here and be drooling over your catches!

You can never stop learning.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Reply to akfishace

You got any tips on Irene? I would like to catch a char there this spring. I fly fished there about 2 years ago, only got small bows. I like your list of lakes, I plan on hitting them this spring. I have fished west beaver before and done well. Thanks for the friend invite.

Irene lake is a hard one to fish. I would say down on the far left shore little ways past a broken tree is always been fair on the ice. But anywhere shallow to 15 feet of water is good on the soft water. Early morning or evening times are always best. Biggest charr I caught out of there was close to 29 inch and 19 inch rainbow. I am goin to say there's some real nice bows in there also just haven't caught any . On the other hand matsu lake. People like to fish off the point in the deeper water for both species. My favorite spot is the 6 foot hole that drops off to 60 feet it's like a tiny island but under the water surface west end of the lake . Fish like to hang out there or that there at the fallen cottonwood tree in the northeast corner there's lots of air by that fallen down ttree. I've seen some real nice charr and bows in that area but they seem to bite soft. Both places are good in the spring and winter. Seymor lake gotta fish different depths but gotta be right above the bottom there's monsters in there . Same with walby. Good luck fishermen!

Thanks for the tips Steve. I knew some of those spots! Lets go fishing somtime. All of us !

Sorry guys. Not in the area anymore I lived in Palmer for almost 30 years and fished plenty in those lakes ! I moved to Idaho. Kepler lake has a few nice rainbows too but not very many. Hope fish and game keep up the hard work on stocking and protecting those fisherys! Forgot to mention there's some really nice fish in long lake in Palmer also.

Always respect the waters release the fish that u don't attend to eat! Let those bigger fish go cause they mite not be there the next days to come. Preserve is the key!

Thanks Steve, you got some good knowledge. I almost always do catch and release, unless its a bleeder or something. Hopefully me and Wes do good with your insight.