Thread: Custom Maps

Default Custom Maps

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to maps or Navigation in our great state.

Recently my interest in this topic has been sparked due to the purchase of 2 new snowmachines.

With the ability of covering so much ground so quickly I have started working on my own personal GIS database.

I have discovered Garmins new custom Maps feature which allows you to scan in printed maps and overlay and geo-reference them in google earth.....saving these files as a kmz file and dropping then on your compatible device and ABRA KADABRA..... The old printed Maps that you had for the willow area are snow trac groomed trails are now on your device. So you can watch your movements on them in real time.....

Currently I have Converted Custom Maps ( Published by the snowTrac program) for the Big Lake Area , Willow Area and Eureka Areas. I am also currently working on other Maps published by the Willow Trails Committee....

I am posting this to see if anyone would be interested in map sharing.....Considering the legal implications and potential dangerous nature of this.... This data would of course be use at your own risk...

If this site finds no reasons no liability issues with this sharing of information...And
    if anyone shares interest in this work.....please let's post and discuss ways to begin sharing Data....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6MgA28Hys4

This youtube video is one I found that shows a good presentation of what im talking about......

Pretty neat, but not sure my old etrex venture would be up to the task. Since I have Topo 2008 loaded to mine, I dont think I'd be interested in using scanned maps, although being able to extract the trails from them by loading the overlays into MapSource or equivalent and then tracing the trails directly onto Topo 2008 would be nice.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by coldrider_f4 View Post
    Pretty neat, but not sure my old etrex venture would be up to the task. Since I have Topo 2008 loaded to mine, I dont think I'd be interested in using scanned maps, although being able to extract the trails from them by loading the overlays into MapSource or equivalent and then tracing the trails directly onto Topo 2008 would be nice.
    A device has to support Garmin Custom Maps to work...

However once you have your map created and geo- referanced it
    You can turn it on and off at any time.... Thus it is not a replacement
    Of your existing software..... But an addition to it.

While I want all the local trails on my map..... I would neverbe willing to part with my traditionally topo maps.....i guess what I'm trying to say is that this software works exactly like you are explaining you want it too..you keep you traditional maps and get the new overlays to..

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ghlight=garmin

THere you go, now you know what i know! I would love to add to the GPS files. If we use base camp, we can just use our old tracks as files and send them back and forth.