Thread: Picked up a Blackhawk conversion in .475 Linebaugh today but....

Default Picked up a Blackhawk conversion in .475 Linebaugh today but....

I stopped into a local gunshop today and noted a Stainless Blackhawk with ".475 Linebaugh" and "$450" tags. I did a double take and asked to see the gun. It indeed was a 5 shot conversion of a -47 prefix New Model Stainless Blackhawk; the front of the cylinder was lightly stamped "475" in small figures. The barrel was a plain 4.5" with no markings and a Ruger front sight. The grip frame was an alloy XRN-3RED with the bottom rounded and micarda grips. The gun seemed funtion properly so I figured what the heck and bought it figuring the frame, cylinder, and action parts were easily worth the money.

When I got it home I found the "but" part": the barrel was split at the rear! Have no way of what the barrel is or was but i won't have expected the barrel to fail in that manner with that cartridge.

The frame doesn't appear to be damaged, and since I want a longer barrel and different grips any way I figure I could still be way ahead. I could take the gun back as it wasn't sold "As-Is" but the idea of an affordable .475 is kinda interesting. If I get my friend to rebarrel it for just the cost of the barrel it shouldn't be too expensive or I could get a take-off barrel rebored IF it fit the frame tightly.

What is the advice from you guys that know a lot more about these things than I do? Is it worth the money to get it rebarreled or is the frame likely to be damaged from the split barrel, or any other thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Well that 5 shot blank is $$250-300 before fitting and chambering, if all the work on it is done right you got a heck of a deal . . . But is not done right, well. How is the barrel split? Did it fire out of tome and split at the forcing cone maybe? If the rest of the gun is right Iíd re-barrel it but being busted Iíd sure check it well, real well.

If you return it please pm me where to so I can go take a look.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default looks pretty good overall

Andy-

The machine work on the cylinder looks first class and the action appears to work just as expected with good timing and lockup. The cylinder pin is well fitted to the frame and cylinder with no looseness. With the exception of the split barrel I won't hesitate to fire it.

The barrel spit at the forcing cone at about 4 o'clock and extends forward for about a 1/2" or so. Looks like it was fired a few times after it was split. I don't see any indication of leading to indicate that it was fired out of time. I've heard that some .500 & .460 S&W custom barrels split at the forcing cone due to lesser barrel metal but they are operating at much higher pressures than I would expect were seen in this gun. Even with lower pressure the recoil must be horrible - the gun only weighs 37 oz so the power to weight ratio is probably better than a S&W 329 PD .44 Mag.

Green Mountain has some .475 Wildey magnum blanks at http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/barrelb...-blank-85-x-21 that look like they would work but I'm not familiar with either caliber.

After seeing this one split I'm wondering if Ruger didn't fit the barrels so tightly not only to keep them from coming loose but also to strengthen the barrels.

Wish you were closer to Anchorage - I'd run it by and let you take a look at it and give me an estimate for fitting a new barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well that 5 shot blank is $$250-300 before fitting and chambering, if all the work on it is done right you got a heck of a deal . . . But is not done right, well. How is the barrel split? Did it fire out of tome and split at the forcing cone maybe? If the rest of the gun is right Iíd re-barrel it but being busted Iíd sure check it well, real well.

If you return it please pm me where to so I can go take a look.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

That barrel is out of stock, a touch big and with a 14 twist.
    Here is the usual 475/480 1/16 410 stainless blank
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/cartridgepistolcaliberbarrels/410stainlesssteel,11round,15long/ss-480-caliber-cartridge-pistol-blank
    Cut it to a 6Ē octagon would give you a bit more mass and look great too.

The split was likely from it being fired slightly out of time causing uneven impact on the cone. Lot of ways that can happen even in a properly working gun. Is there an extra screw in the frame near the locking pawl? If so it holds a shim that tightens the pawl to help it index more positive. If there it could be too tight and sticking the pawl intermittently.

Calking slow may not rotate the cylinder to the notch every time or calking fast may bounce it past the pawl. One or more of the chambers could have been reamed slightly off line.

Or it could have been some operator error, hot load, wrong bullet, or??? I killed a 357 Blackhawk cone because I didnít have the cylinder pin all the way in and it walked out allowing the end to fall free so the cylinder was crooked in the window when I fired it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default barrel..

Andy-

Thanks for all the help. I missed that the Wildey barrel was out of stock and it is a tad bigger bore. I'll have to visualize how the octogon barrel would look but it could be turned down round if desired. The added weight would defintiely help - I can't imagine how anyone managed to fire the thing with full power loads.

I can't get the action to fire out of time but that is with a empty cylinder. The added weight of a loaded cylinder may do something different- I'll have to add some bullets to increase the inertia. It could also become unlocked and rotate when fired as my .500 S&W did when the lock spring became weak after some 1000+ heavy loads.

I hadn't really paid much attention to the spring loaded plunger on the back of the cylinder pin before but now I realize its main function - to prevent the gun from firing if the pin become loose. That is an interesting feature I've not read about before or perhaps I just don't recall.

I'll be up your way next Sat. for the AGCA gun show. Perhaps we can meet up there or I'll bring it by your place. If I decide not to keep it you have first rights if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    That barrel is out of stock, a touch big and with a 14 twist.
    Here is the usual 475/480 1/16 410 stainless blank
    http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/cartridgepistolcaliberbarrels/410stainlesssteel,11round,15long/ss-480-caliber-cartridge-pistol-blank
    Cut it to a 6Ē octagon would give you a bit more mass and look great too.

The split was likely from it being fired slightly out of time causing uneven impact on the cone. Lot of ways that can happen even in a properly working gun. Is there an extra screw in the frame near the locking pawl? If so it holds a shim that tightens the pawl to help it index more positive. If there it could be too tight and sticking the pawl intermittently.

Calking slow may not rotate the cylinder to the notch every time or calking fast may bounce it past the pawl. One or more of the chambers could have been reamed slightly off line.

Or it could have been some operator error, hot load, wrong bullet, or??? I killed a 357 Blackhawk cone because I didnít have the cylinder pin all the way in and it walked out allowing the end to fall free so the cylinder was crooked in the window when I fired it.

Stainless Blackhawks look great with octagon barrels on them, Google up some pictures. Blued looks even better but octagon is a great way to get some front weight on a big bore. Iíll be down at that show Saturday looking too.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm a huge 475 and 500 Linebaugh fan. Luckily never has a split forcing cone issues.

Any idea who did the conversion?
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default unknown

I don't know who did the conversion - there is no name on it other than the orginal Ruger and the lightly stamped "475 L" on the front of the cylinder. Everything seem to work correctly and well other than the barrel.

It appears to me that whoever did the conversion made the forcing cone too large and the resulting barrel was too thin at the breech - but that is just an educated guess from my gunsmith friend that hasn't seen the gun yet. Do you know if Linebaugh or Bowen use a larger barrel shank in their conversions? I would think the barrel at the forcing cone would be getting relatively thin in a .500 if the standard barrel shank diameter is used.

I'm hoping the gun turns out well with a new barrel - I think I could be a big fan also IF they were more affordable. With the cost of a new barrel and a Bisley grip frame I should be in this one for under $750 total - that is a cost I can live easily live with.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    I'm a huge 475 and 500 Linebaugh fan. Luckily never has a split forcing cone issues.

Any idea who did the conversion?