Thread: Anyone have a cure for my ignorance?

Default Anyone have a cure for my ignorance?

I've been thinking about trying to grow some veggies during the winter in my crawlspace. Would the fluorescent light down there be sufficient, or should I stick to the summer? What got me thinking about this is there was evidence the previous owners of my house were cultivating some .... uh..... mind - altering shrubberies.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Have been lots of plants grown in crawl spaces.
    Do some research for indoor plant lights.
    Some of the new high intensity fluorescents do a good job.

I think it depends on what you are trying to grow and how much light you will use. I have grown bell peppers and Tiny Tim tomatoes indoors under two four foot T5 fluorescents. They were also in a west facing window, so I believe that helped quite bit. Some strains of lettuce, such as Grand Rapids, are also supposed to do well indoors under low light. I have the seeds but did not grow anything other than houseplants indoors this winter due to a thrip infestation. Turns out that thrips do not like begonias or succulents but they love peppers. Anyway, I like the T5 fixtures more than T8 or the standard T12 shop lights. I have a two tube 4 foot shop light on my starts now, as well as two 4 foot T5 lights and a 125 watt compact fluorescent. The T5 are the ones I prefer. They coverage a larger area with brighter light than any of the others i have with similar wattage. I think my next investment will be an led light. I have 22 tomatoes up now, as well as peppers and a ton of flowers. Pansies, dahlias, snapdragons....the list is endless and I am running out of room. I can't wait until this stuff can go outside. Sunlight is the very best I have ever found for plants, but indoor gardening is rewarding as well. With the use of a timer, photoperiod can be manipulated enough so that many flowers will bloom all winter long and it is nice to wake up and have the aquarium and plant lights on in the morning during the long, dark winter months. The trick is getting enough light and enough room to accommodate your plants. Other than that, I think the sky is the limit.

Thanks folks, that is good info. I have had bad luck with long tube ballasts, but I can put several high - output compact flourescents down there and see what happens. Space is at a premium in the living area of my house, thus the reason I am considering using the crawl space. I guess the next step is to research which varieties do best in low - light situations. Dragon, thanks for the timer suggestion. I already have one that I can use.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Hydrofarm makes a good compact florescent hood/ballast combo that can accommodate a 125 watt or a 250 watt bulb. Or you could go high end and get a HID light. I believe it would use more vertical room than a T5 but would probably be amazing. Depending on the height of your crawl space it could work. I use cardboard boxes and tinfoil to make reflectors around the perimeters of my T5 and they seem to help. I planted my tomatoes on march 17th and the Tiny Tim and the glacier tomatoes have blooms already. They are not as robust as I would like them to be. I know it would be better to have more light on them but I can't justify the expense right now. My SO would love to banish the starts to the basement but fears what could happen to the light bill if I had more room.