Thread: RPM drop

Default RPM drop

For you mechanics out there! I recently started to get an excessive RPM drop on run up when I pull the carb heat. Was usually around a 200 rpm drop but has now gone to 500... Any suggestions on things to check? It just don't seem right. Its a PA-18 with a 160 HP. Thanks

Maybe air obstruction or exhaust leak (carbon monoxide)

runs rich with carb heat, are you running too rich already? then way too rich with carb heat? primer leaking?

Check the float bowl screws on the carb they can come loose and will cause the RPM drop. Look for gas stains running down side of float bowl.
    I am not a mechanic but had same problem.
    DENNY

I don't intend this as a wise guy comment, but you need to have a A&P look at it, there are several thing that could be wrong and almost everything is not owner maintenance. I'm a A&P and wouldn't try to guess as that leads to giving it a try at test flight with a masked problem that has been covered by doing something else to the engine.

I hope you aren't flying that little Cub unless and until the problem is isolated and fixed !!!

Thanks all for the input, It was the float bowl that was coming loose... problem solved!