Thread: Sierra Game King's

Default Sierra Game King's

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with the performance of these game king bullets. I'm looking at working up a load with the 300 grain BTSP out of my .378 Weatherby.

Have used them in my 338 Edge for several years. They have never failed and never needed a follow-up. Just finished working up a load for the 7STW in 175gr.

The three moose I've shot with the .375 300gr game kings have all travelled about 50 feet before collapse. The bullets have typically come apart, but the way I know this is because I've recovered the fragments from a dead moose. All boiler room shots. All less than 60 yards. Probably factors into the fragmentation of the bullet. Pretty close, still fairly high velocity. I will still use them, they seem to kill well.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Join DateFeb 2008LocationPalmer,AKPosts94
    eat your heart out you barnes lovers

Bullet recovered from my 338 ultra mag on a caribou. Guess what it's a sierra boat tail.
    Distance 362 yards
    Bullet SBT game king 250gr
    muzzle velocity 2913 @ 52 degrees
    Shot quatering away, found under hide on offside front shoulder
    Mushroom wieght 238gr, diameter .83"

Just more proof that barnes are overrated !!!

The 220gr GK's shoot great in my 325wsm. I killed a small Interior griz with em a few years back. 165yds all pass throughs.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks for the info guys.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_ren View Post
    I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with the performance of these game king bullets. I'm looking at working up a load with the 300 grain BTSP out of my .378 Weatherby.
    I think a Sierra Game king is a great bullet from a great company. They have never made a bad bullet but some bullets because of their design should not be used at the velocity of some of the higher velocity cartridges. Will it work? Most likely but for a bullet that was made to be fired from a 375 H&H at about 2500-2600 fps I'd say that a better bullet could be found for the 378 Weatherby. I am not disagreeing with all the good advice from experience here just saying if you can find a Swift A-frame or TBBC, the 378 responds better with tougher built bullets. If I had a 378 Weatherby and was tasked with working up loads for it, I'd sell it and buy a very nice 375 Dakota, or Remington, or Ruger, or Rigby, or......
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think a Sierra Game king is a great bullet from a great company. They have never made a bad bullet but some bullets because of their design should not be used at the velocity of some of the higher velocity cartridges. Will it work? Most likely but for a bullet that was made to be fired from a 375 H&H at about 2500-2600 fps I'd say that a better bullet could be found for the 378 Weatherby. I am not disagreeing with all the good advice from experience here just saying if you can find a Swift A-frame or TBBC, the 378 responds better with tougher built bullets. If I had a 378 Weatherby and was tasked with working up loads for it, I'd sell it and buy a very nice 375 Dakota, or Remington, or Ruger, or Rigby, or......
    The main reason why I was asking about these bullets was to see if anyone had any hunting experience with the GK's, and how the worked on game, and I got the answers I thought I would. At the shorter distance, higher velocity the bullet came apart, the longer distance lower velocity it stayed together and mushroomed perfect. I have loads for my .378 with the swift A-frames and Accubonds, I just came across some load data on realguns.com that perked my interest into these GK's. Thanks for responding Murphy I know you are very knowledgeable and I enjoy reading your posts, but I will keep the Weatherby.

Good info, I bought a box to try thinking they would be a good caribou/interior griz bullet, I like what i'm hearing!

I've had great luck with the 225 out of my 350 Rem Mag. I also just worked up a load for my 300 WBY, with the 200 grainers. I'll have to wait until this fall to see how bad they tear deer apart.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I use 165 Sierra's in a 308 and have had no issues taking caribou with it. I do use Sierra in several different calibers and like the groups that I get. Since Sierra came out with the 225gr in 338 I have been wanting try them. While Sierra's do seem to come apart on impact, I have never lost an animal with them. I have been told that the major supplier for Alaska is not carrying Sierra bullets, so I may need to start ordering them online. I am not sure if it holds ture today, but in the past, Sierra bullets were a lot more reasonable to but them most of the other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_ren View Post
    The main reason why I was asking about these bullets was to see if anyone had any hunting experience with the GK's, and how the worked on game, and I got the answers I thought I would. At the shorter distance, higher velocity the bullet came apart, the longer distance lower velocity it stayed together and mushroomed perfect. I have loads for my .378 with the swift A-frames and Accubonds, I just came across some load data on realguns.com that perked my interest into these GK's. Thanks for responding Murphy I know you are very knowledgeable and I enjoy reading your posts, but I will keep the Weatherby.
    You're welcome. Thats about the performance I would expect. I have to admit to being recoil shy with the 378 Wby. The only rifle I've ever shot that left me numb. I think its the reason muzzle brakes were invented.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?