Thread: Question: AR-15 LOWER Build......??? The best parts........???

Default Question: AR-15 LOWER Build......??? The best parts........???

Yesterday I bought one very nice stripped lower (new), and two "fairly" nice stripped lowers (new). I want to have these built out by a professional, with topshelf parts, less the trigger (I will deal with the trigger later).

First question: Who would you suggest in the Anchorage area to install the parts...........???

Second question: Less the trigger assembly, can you recommend quality parts for lower build-out...........???

Third question: Trigger assembly, Must be "SINGLE" stage only (Not open for discussion) Must have "ZERO" creep & crisp release.

Price of parts is NOT a issue on the first build-out.

Thank You for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    First question: Who would you suggest in the Anchorage area to install the parts...........???
    Assembling an AR lower is pretty straightforward and most anyone--certainly any known gunsmith--can put one together as well as most anyone else IMO & E.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Second question: Less the trigger assembly, can you recommend quality parts for lower build-out...........???
    AR parts fall into the "beggars can't be choosers" right now. In a few months things may very well change, but finding any lower parts at this time may prove quite a task......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The most difficult part of putting a lower together is the bolt release/catch roll pin. It helps to have the correct punches to start and seat the pin. Be careful with the trigger guard roll pin as well. Everything else is lego block simplicity. Plug and play.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The most difficult part of putting a lower together is the bolt release/catch roll pin. It helps to have the correct punches to start and seat the pin. Be careful with the trigger guard roll pin as well. Everything else is lego block simplicity. Plug and play.
    I enjoy employing professional people. I served an 8,000 hour/4 year apprenticeship to be Journeyman Machinist/Tool & Die Maker. For things that are important to me I am happy to pay skilled gunsmiths. I am back up to owning 12 complete AR-15 firearms, and several extra uppers, mostly NOVESKE & ROCK RIVER ARMS; However I want this to be my flagship lower, with the best parts. There is no hurry.

I have 3 lowers with "mega" triggers. www.Mega-Arms.com. Creep and pull are adjustable. Single stage I believe. Used to be 80 bucks from Ranier Arms.
    I have put together a few lowers. Not too sure you would get a noticeably improved lower by paying someone to put it together. The parts kits for a lower are all pretty generic. I suppose playing on the internet will get you various opinions on who's LPKs are best.

Here is a link for the trigger: http://megaarms.com/maten/maten-accessories/trigger/ You can't buy the trigger direct from Mega. It is still 80/90 bucks from Ranier.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If you are set on having it assembled by a gunsmith, I'd pick the gunsmith first and let him pick out the LPK. The general opinion is that there is very little difference other than the trigger.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I'd recommend Rock River Arms or DPMS for a LPK. Giessle for the trigger. Buy a punch block and roll pin punch set. Put it together yourself. That is the beauty of the AR15. Piece of cake. Plenty of online instruction. Save the gunsmith for the rest.

While I am not a gunsmith I have put together 7 or 8 AR-15s for myself and others, all of which with the right loads are capable of sub MOA groups. I prefer the LPKs from Rock River Arms and DPMS. Other than the trigger, buffer spring/buffer and rear take down pin I have found no need to change any of the other parts in the lower. I like the triggers from American Trigger Corp. They are crisp single stage triggers, non-adjustable and available in several pull weights, my favorite is the three pound model. They can be bought from Midway USA or Brownells. I have installed stiffer buffer springs and hydraulic buffers in several of the builds. This will reduce cyclic rate, recoil and eliminate the spring noise you hear when firing an AR style rifle. If you mess with the buffer/spring be advised that you can induce feeding issues occasionally. I also have replaced the rear take down pin with one from JP Enterprises. Their pin allows you to tighten up the connection between the upper and the lower and eliminate the wiggle that is found on some. If the upper and lower are tight without it there is nothing gained by installing one. Other than the trigger everything that affects accuracy is in the upper assembly. If you are going to pay someone to do work for you that is where you will get the most bang for your buck and see a measurable difference. Just offering my opinion based on my personal experiance.

This plus watching several Youtube tutorials/Brownells videos was all it took:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/