Thread: What's Skilak Looking Like?

Default What's Skilak Looking Like?

Still frozen? Breaking up?

Saturday there was a snowmachine towing a driftboat with 4 guys on it from the lower launch to the outlet. I hiked into upper at kenai inlet and it was all clear.

Did you catch any at the inlet?

How was the fishing? I am heading down this weekend and planning on hiking Skilak up. Any hints or suggestions would be great?

When i got there it started snowing like hell so we only fished for about 20 minutes, with no bites. There was a large family of otter corralling fish. It's been ice free for at least a month on the upper. I fished it 3 weeks ago and was regularly catching dollies. I'd either hike to the outlet along the beach, or to the inlet. Bring studs or spikes for your shoes on the hike in, slick as hell.

Thanks for the info. It's more a chance to wet a line than but catching fish never hurts.

Spent Saturday hiking up from Skilak. The lake was open and Upper was mostly open. Didn't have any luck with fish but it was a beautiful day and hike with a rod in hand. Still trying to figure out this spring fishing thing as we were skunked the few times we tried it last year. Any hints?

pushed the drift boat across the lake sat and sun. ice is solid. Suprised the snowmachines are still allowed to run with current snow depth but assume that is about over.
    NRA life Member JVJ