Thread: July 7th-12th Kenai Peninsula

Default July 7th-12th Kenai Peninsula

So I posted on here about fishing the first week in July and from lots of awesome replies it seems the consensus is the first week is the WORST time to fish in July. So i changed my WHOLE trip so I could better my chances of some awesome fishing!

So that being said I guess I need to ask where should I focus my attention in this week. I am going to be doing a little circle around from seward to homer to ninilchik, (halibut and kings if they are allowed), then to cooper landing. (these are places i am staying but anywhere along this route would be considered). My concern is I dont want to be on the upper kenai if the lower kenai is foamin fish. I will be fly fishing primarily. wife will be spinning.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

The lower Kenai will not be foaming with fish during that time. The first large schools of sockeye do not hit the river until the 15th, 16th, or 17th of July. Check the link below for historic Kenai sockeye counts. Choose Kenai River (late-run sockeye);

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/

If you look at past years you will see the sockeye almost always start to hit the river around the dates I mentioned.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The lower Kenai will not be foaming with fish during that time. The first large schools of sockeye do not hit the river until the 15th, 16th, or 17th of July. Check the link below for historic Kenai sockeye counts. Choose Kenai River (late-run sockeye);

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCounts/

If you look at past years you will see the sockeye almost always start to hit the river around the dates I mentioned.
    Thanks for the info. But I am not necessarily going after sockeye. I just want to catch some good fish. I just want to know what are would be best in my time frame. I understand are good all summer. But since I have a limited time I obviously want to catch a little bit of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ccooper88 View Post
    My concern is I dont want to be on the upper kenai if the lower kenai is foamin fish.Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.
    Kings in the Kenai are forecasted for another disastrous year and the second run of sockeye will not be in the lower river in good numbers yet. So, the lower Kenai river will not be foaming with any fish at that time. If you want sockeye the Kasilof or the upper stretches of the Russian River are your only options.

Thanks for the info. But I am not necessarily going after sockeye. I just want to catch some good fish. I just want to know what are would be best in my time frame. I understand are good all summer. But since I have a limited time I obviously want to catch a little bit of everything.
    Let us not forget, there are other runs of salmon to be had which IMO are rewarding to pursue. Seward area tidewater creeks ( 4th of July, spring, and falls creek, tonsina creek) are all accessible and at that time will be experiencing ocean bright chum and pink salmon. As well as some fine sea run dolly fishing. Along with beautiful scenery and options for a great hike out to tonsina creek.

best part, is very very little angling pressure

Release Lake Trout

Oh and there is also the hope area, in which the pinks should be in and some silvers will also be starting to show. There is also pretty decent dolly fishing on the fly during high tide. Again, beautiful scenery and plenty of room during the weekdays.

Release Lake Trout

Great idea, but his timing is still too early for pinks/silvers in Hope. Fishable numbers do not arrive there until almost the third week in July.

Yeah I think your best bet is to head north on the parks……….and you might find Chum, other wise you need to hit the salt in Seward for silvers. You can hit the upper Kenai for reds but who knows what shape they will be in, but the bow fishing will be good. Kasilof is anther good bet. Your pretty much coming right in the middle of the 2 runs.

It seems my "foming" quote is getting hung up on. I was just using it as an example with no concern on the location. That sounds like some good ideas. I have heard seward (which we are staying 2 nights) is great for silvers that time of year. As far as the pinks go i heard they only are around on the even numbered years...Or do they only RUN on the even numbered years?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    Yeah I think your best bet is to head north on the parks……….and you might find Chum, other wise you need to hit the salt in Seward for silvers. You can hit the upper Kenai for reds but who knows what shape they will be in, but the bow fishing will be good. Kasilof is anther good bet. Your pretty much coming right in the middle of the 2 runs.
    yea and i kick myself repeatedly for planning it that way, but I was unfamilar with all the runds prior to booking the flights. So i will make the best. Still can hope for a nice Bow. Anything over 3-4lbs will excite me. We dont get the rainbows down here in Oklahoma like other places but we have some killer Large Mouths. I am excited it should be a good time. I want to try and catch at least one salmon, dolly, char, and bow while im there though. My main concern is that I can put my wife no some fish. I have caught salmon up there before but she has never been to Alaska. I want her to WANT to come back!

It seems my "foming" quote is getting hung up on. I was just using it as an example with no concern on the location. That sounds like some good ideas. I have heard seward (which we are staying 2 nights) is great for silvers that time of year. As far as the pinks go i heard they only are around on the even numbered years...Or do they only RUN on the even numbered years?
    Jus cuz the rivers aren't foaming with fish doesn't mean you won't catch your limit. Seward is not good for silvers inside the bay unless your on a charter these last few years. Pinks run every year, no matter what they always show. Jus seems like even years is when they run "en masse" though personally I've not noticed much difference in most streams. Ill think about some other options I might be able to inform you of.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Jus cuz the rivers aren't foaming with fish doesn't mean you won't catch your limit. Seward is not good for silvers inside the bay unless your on a charter these last few years. Pinks run every year, no matter what they always show. Jus seems like even years is when they run "en masse" though personally I've not noticed much difference in most streams. Ill think about some other options I might be able to inform you of.

Thats good to know, what about flying out on a little guided charter? would that be worth my money and time to do since i am going to be a bit early? some of those charters go to like wolverine creek where i heard it starts a little early.

Last year was brutal, but in 2011 I ran into a ton of coho as close in as Tonsina Creek off my kayak on July 23. But those two weeks could make a difference this early on. I will say I was surprised to find them in so close. Maybe renting a small skiff at Miller's Landing would give you access to some rockfish, potential halibut, Cohos, Pinks, and Chums. If you rent a skiff, get up along a rock wall, you are in hundreds of feet of water less than a 100 yards off shore if that. Drop bait to the bottom in 100 to 250 ft of water and you will likely catch something that will flex your rod hard. It just might be a cod, skate, or arrowtooth flounder instead of halibut or more desireable species but you are still catching! They don't let you go far, but it will open up some fisheries. I catch these species from my kayak so you don't have to go far. If you are looking to pack home fish to eat, I wouldn't over look all the cod you can catch in the Bay. My east coast friends are bumming with the massive cod quota cuts out East.

For visitors, I think its 6 of one and a half dozen of the other in so many ways. Yah, if you would have picked July 15th throught the 30th, you no doubt would have seen more fish on the Peninsula, but you have to remember the couple hundred thousands of folks thinking the same way. These days, I only tell my "hard core fish every minute they are awake" kind of friends to come during the last two weeks in July. Because if you aren't fishing, it really isn't as enjoyable as other times in Alaska due to the crowds in my opinion. The Kenai River when uncrowded is awesome. Dollies and Trout (world class ones) everywhere, and you may just hook up to a red, coho, or king though fairly unlikely given the timing if fishing from shore.

Here's a quick 2 min video of great trip I took in 2011 on July 7th out of Seward caught Halibut, Ling Cod, and Silvers! Too busy catching to tape much of the action. What a blast!

Thats good to know, what about flying out on a little guided charter? would that be worth my money and time to do since i am going to be a bit early? some of those charters go to like wolverine creek where i heard it starts a little early.

Well here is a though, there might be reds around in seward while your there……..so you could hit a charter fish for silvers and bottom fish maybe see whales, seals or what not. Anther place you might want to look into is Coghill lake…….that have a crap load of reds that go up there, I think the limit is like 12 fish a day? Find some one out of seward or whittier to take you there!