Thread: DG720 information

Default DG720 information

I drew this permit, and I'm looking for as much information as I can find. If anyone is willing to share information, please PM me. Thanks.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

First time drawing this permit and I was wondering if you or anyone else might be willing to share information regarding access options, goat distribution in the hunt area, or air taxi companies used? Any information is appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by Quacker_Wacker87; 02-19-2018 at 16:02. Reason: font color

There are no air services out of Valdez. Usually we drive up the road, look for the goats then make a plan. Lots of goats just off the road but UP. If you come over this way scouting, l can drive up with you and show you around.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Meekins Air Service would be worth a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacker_Wacker87 View Post
    First time drawing this permit and I was wondering if you or anyone else might be willing to share information regarding access options, goat distribution in the hunt area, or air taxi companies used? Any information is appreciated!

Thanks

I got a DG720 tag and will most likely have to go the cheap route and drive in, has anyone gone out through the Klutina river access point near the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by efmbcali91 View Post
    I got a DG720 tag and will most likely have to go the cheap route and drive in, has anyone gone out through the Klutina river access point near the lake?
    That could be fun and quite cheap, I'd guess there are goats somewhere around there. What I have found out with this hunt is that the goats are distributed widely and you likely will not see high numbers. The first year I had the permit (2015), I saw three goats in a week. This past year with this permit I saw 5 goats in 7 days and then went again and saw around the same amount. I've spent hours/days glassing typical goat country and seen nothing. Nothing like Kodiak, for example, where I've seen 20-30 a day in some areas.

Had this tag back in 04 so my info might be a little outdated so take it with a grain of salt. I flew into the upper Klutina with Mike Meekins, walked up the valley towards the glacier. Back then the permit I had was only good for the east side of the Klutina River. We saw plenty of goats both sides, quite a few billies on the east side, mostly nannies and kids on the west side. I thought it was a great hunt in a good area. Now the area is a lot larger and seems to have plenty of goats can't imagine you wouldn't do well whether you walk in somewhere from the highway or fly in.

Thanks for the info guys. I was hesitant to fly in and do a solo goat hunt for the first time and was looking for another person who drew the tag as well... to share the flight and provide additional safety footing. However, one of my buddies may go out with me on a fly in with Meekins (most likely) to get some experience and potentially bag a black bear. After looking at the topo maps of the surrounding area of klutina lake, and noticed that the terrain is a beast and I would have to drive 20 miles, float many more miles on klutina lake, the hike in 10 kilometers just to get the head waters of the glacier... that would suck!!!! How many people saw black bears in the area or Klutina glacier headwaters?

Banned

Baby got goat.