Thread: Browns on Montegue

Default Browns on Montegue

Hello all
    A buddy and myself will be going after a brown on Montague about the 14th ofMay. I was on the island last year in April but it was way too early for themwith all the snow last year. I would like to get some information in regards toshould I start on the south side or the north side of the Island. I have plentyof boat to get me there I just am not sure on where to start hunting. I havemap searched the island pretty well and I know there are some FS Cabins on theNE end of the island so I do not want to step on any toes over there, waslooking at the other bays on the North side, and West side as well as the Southside bays. Weather will dictate being on the south side bay for anchorage froma strong south wind.

Any suggestions out there.
    Thanks

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I don't know the answer to your question, but I can say that there are several cabins on the island, on all sides. I have stayed in the San Juan Bay one myself. I have only landed on San Juan Bay, but there are always tracks in the sand over there and I have run in to browns both on the beach and on the southern hill from the cabin. My experience is from Aug-Oct though.

I can't help you too much either. I've hunted Montague 5 times, San Juan Bay twice, Jeanie Cove, Beach River, and Port Chalmers. Last November I hunted San Juan Bay and saw one bear up towards the top of Stair mountain. We did have a run in with a small bear about 12 years ago at Jeanie Cove too.

Ill be around during that time. Considering spending a day or two on the northeast end if weather is decent.
    holler on the radio if you see us, or motor over and say hi.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think we will be working the South West area if weather is good and seas are calm. If not we will move around to the North West side next. Good luck. Thanks to the others that stepped in I will get pictures if we are lucky.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam