Thread: Broadheads & Arrow Shaft

Default Broadheads & Arrow Shaft

Hi folks

Great to be on the forum, looking to get to know some people here. If a fella was to hunt interior Moose with a compound bow and the poundage was set at 60lbs and he shot with a 100gr. broadhead, would this combination be adequate? My arrow shaft is, 400;8.6 gpi if this will help.

Any information on this will be appreciated.

Look at archery regs there is a min weight 50 lbs and arrow weight of minimum 300 with minimum length 20 inches, search ADFG and look at regulations.

Your setup is legal and adequate. However, its important to know your limitations. At long distance that arrow is losing a lot of penetration power. Hopefully you'll have a nice upclose and personal experience anyway.

Yeah me too. I can assume that a 30 yard shot is a good shot with my set-up. I would not shoot beyond 30 yards for moose. I have seen a few moose hunting videos with close range bow shots but wondered what their set-ups were? thanks Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Look at archery regs there is a min weight 50 lbs and arrow weight of minimum 300 with minimum length 20 inches, search ADFG and look at regulations.
    thanks for the tip.

selfsufficient like gunner said you are adequate but with every yard it getts tougher and every bit of slight angle it changes as well.. Moose are thick...not necessarily skin wise just a wide load and when that arrow doesnt blow through it makes it that much harder if there is less of a blood trail..
    I wouldnt let it stop you by any means but limitations as you already know are everything..

Hi Bear. Thank you for the support. Have you taken many moose with a bow?

Quote Originally Posted by Selfsufficient View Post
    Hi Bear. Thank you for the support. Have you taken many moose with a bow?
    I have taken a couple and also helped a few hunters on some... This was my last one..up north..

Bear that is a dandy of a moose.

Me? I would recommend a heavier shaft and a 125 gr broadhead.

But, your set-up is okay if you take the right shot. The last moose I harvested with a bow was at about 8 FEET, and I still didn't get a complete pass thru. (the nock was still on this side of the hide)

I helped track one shot with a lighter rig than mine and the bull went about 150 yards and laid down. Was dead when we found him.

Don't forget to get your bowhunter cert, if you haven't all ready.

And remember to practice all types of positions and angles, moose have a way of being where they are when you find them.

Enjoy the hunt,

Chris

Hello akgun&ammo

I am about to order a set of G5 Montec 125 gr. broadheads from Ebay @ a great price. Thanks for the extra push I need to get these broadheads.
    I will need to stay with the shafts I have for now though. Cert is next to do.