Thread: Retriever clubs

Default Retriever clubs

I was wondering if someone can give me an insight to what each club focuses on?
    I'm looking to join a club, but want to join on that hunting oriented.
    Thanks..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary, the RCA (retriever club of alaska) and AWRC (alaska working retriever club) are both AKC clubs and as such focus is on AKC field trial and hunt tests. However, many of these folks hunt their dogs, and hunt tests are designed to replicate hunting senarios. The MSGDA is an NHRA club and does NHRA events, but they also are designed to replicate hunting situations. Many of the active members join all 3 clubs and participate in events. MSDGA is having its banquet and fund raiser on April 20, you should join us along with anybody else that in interested, they are a fun group. The AWRC is having its banquet May 11, should come to it also. Bud
    Wasilla

I have my tickets for the May banquet.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I was wondering if someone can give me an insight to what each club focuses on?
    I'm looking to join a club, but want to join on that hunting oriented.
    Thanks..
    If I recall correctly, yo and I are in the same training class with Baron and Joanna, and that course fee included membership in both of those clubs.

I am in the Class.. two class left. Wish the classes continued on tell we had open water.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I am in the Class.. two class left. Wish the classes continued on tell we had open water.
    With breakup a little late this year, open water will be a bit late also, but it opens fast once temps get above frezing at night, With young dogs you want warmer water, some of the shallow ponds like the square pond along the highway warms up in just a few days of bright sunlight. Ask Baron if he will be having a training group once the water opens, I kinda expect that he will. Have classes been going on the past two saturdays when it was snowing, i havn't received any notification. Bud
    Wasilla

Alaska Gray, Bud is correct in that some people join all three clubs. However, I think it is fair to say that MSGDA is more focused on the hunter and his/her dog. MSGDA runs their licensed tests under the NAHRA (North American Hunting Retriever Association) rules. The name makes it pretty clear what the focus is. NAHRA was created to offer an alternative to the AKC field trials. The average hunter does not have the time,resources or desire to compete in the AKC field trials. When the founders of NAHRA created the hunt test game it was to provide a platform for the average hunter and his/her dog to be evaluated against a standard rather than competing for first place. By having the dog evaluated against a standard they could determine the merits of the dog and the traits they desired would be recognized for the purpose of breeding to improve the bloodlines as the generations passed. It was after the popularity of the hunt test concept and some other politics that AKC started their own hunt test program. There are some differences in the respective venues. The biggest one is that for a dog to earn titles in the NAHRA program they must demonstrate proficiency in upland hunting work to include quartering a field, finding and flushing a bird, tracking and trailing a wounded bird in addition to the land and water marks and blinds. MSGDA welcomes particpation by anyone who enjoys spending time in the field with their hunting companions. We offer discounts to junior and senior handlers and encourage the entire family to join in the weekend events. MSGDA will be kicking off the season with our annual banquet on April 20 at the Eagle River Lions Club followed by the first picnic training test on May 11 at Heavens Field off Fairview Loop in Wasilla. For more information you can visit our website at www.msgda.org

two class left.
    Crap. I've had to leave state on a family emergency. I missed over half the classes. I tried to get my gf to bring the dog to the classes. No dice.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Crap. I've had to leave state on a family emergency. I missed over half the classes. I tried to get my gf to bring the dog to the classes. No dice.
    the classes are primarly to teach the owner how to train their dog, rather then actually teaching the dog. The 2-3 drills they run the dog though each sat morning won't do much, without the owner working with the dog on a consistant basis during the week, and thoughout the spring summer. Bud
    Wasilla

The 2-3 drills they run the dog though each sat morning won't do much, without the owner working with the dog on a consistant basis during the week, and thoughout the spring summer.
    If anything those classes will give you a few pointers and some ideas that would otherwise be overlooked by the novice trainer. Its more of a train the trainer group. Those that truly want to end up with a finished gundog will have to put more than an hour one day a week into training. I personally do some sort of training with each of my dogs at least five days a week all year round when work cooperates...LOL. My suggestion to anyone who is those classes currently is to find someone they can train with on a regular basis. Attending the training groups and going to the various events held by the clubs throughout the year is a great way to meet new people. Its very likely you will meet someone to help you along with your training.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie