Thread: My 1st Sportjet

Default My 1st Sportjet

Im going to be picking up my first sportjet in a couple of weeks. Its a Predator 200AK Center Concole with the 200 optimax. Ive been running boats most of my life. My current rig is an Uncle J custom mud boat with a modded Pro Drive. I live in KS now but am about to move to WA. I guess I just would like to hear some pointers and some do's and dont's. Thanks in advance!

Get out and play with it at low speeds. For me the reverse was the most difficult to get the hang of.

No one has any advise???

Quote Originally Posted by Short On Cache View Post
    Im going to be picking up my first sportjet in a couple of weeks. Its a Predator 200AK Center Concole with the 200 optimax. Ive been running boats most of my life. My current rig is an Uncle J custom mud boat with a modded Pro Drive. I live in KS now but am about to move to WA. I guess I just would like to hear some pointers and some do's and dont's. Thanks in advance!
    I just got a Predator 220fx. I can't wait to get it the water. To bad you don't live in Alaska. I'd say we could hit the skinny, But oh well. Let me know how your first trip goes.

Ill post up what I learn and you do the same. Maybe we wont make the same mistakes! haha

The first time you take the impeller out its going to be real pain I had to heat mine up to get it out. They dont put enough grease on the shaft so me sure you do. Also there was an issue someone had about when you start the engine using the a garden house hook I beleave they are saying start the egine firest then turn the water on because if you dont it will get into the cylenders but check on that. Other than that have fun with it it a great rig I have the SJX and love it
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by Short On Cache View Post
    I would not recommend hitting the impeller to take it off, you can damage something.

I have predator. All you need is stainless wear ring and impeller fit to the new wear ring. Other than that have fun and keep it off the rocks... She's not as strong as you think.

When you get the impeller off use marine lube when you put her back in... And don't be afraid to hit the piss out of it....
    If you hook up the hose to motor little water pressure. Just crack in on until its running then turn on more.
    After you shut the water off. Restart the motor when she fires turn back off. It will blow any water that mite have got motor out.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Don't know how this applies to a Sport Jet, but on a three stage Kodiak Jet the impellers are also always stuck on. The trick that I was showed by Ron the River Boat guy was to beat on them but more in jarring way if that makes sense. I usually use a hard rubber dead blow type hammer. The reason they are stuck is because the glacier slit has packed in between the shaft and the impellers and a few/some whacks gets things loosened up so they will slide off. Any kind of grease of anti-seize gunk only makes it much worse, much worse.

The other thing Ron always did when he was reassembling the jet was to tighten the shaft nut down fairly tight and then whack the hub on the back impeller with a 2 lb hammer really good. That whack will seat all the hubs together and then you can usually tighten up the nut a little more. You have to be careful and use a torque wrench because the shafts are stainless steel and will gall/shift the threads really easily.

I have a 200 optimax in my Jetcraft and the only changes we have made are adding a Mercury SmartCraft gauge (mostly to watch gph) and a Wooldridge bucket for better reverse. Happy with both additions but the bucket (other than the weight of it) is great.

M.

I was the one who had the problem with flushing last summer. I lost almost 2 months but got a new Mercury Optimax Powerhead. As per Mercury, because either the boat was not level when flushing the engine or the water pressure was too high at the house the original engine got aqualock/hydrolock (whichever you prefer to call it) which filled 3 cylinders with water. They told me that I should turn the water on a little, start the engine then turn the water on full. Never run the water without the engine running. Also, the boat must be level. Neither of these are mentioned in the manual though. So I have less than two hours on this new engine. Can't wait for summer to get here. Also, I have the Wooldridge Reverse Bucket and it is awesome. The stock bucket wouldn't even move the boat. Good luck with yours... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    The first time you take the impeller out its going to be real pain I had to heat mine up to get it out. They dont put enough grease on the shaft so me sure you do. Also there was an issue someone had about when you start the engine using the a garden house hook I beleave they are saying start the egine firest then turn the water on because if you dont it will get into the cylenders but check on that. Other than that have fun with it it a great rig I have the SJX and love it
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Good info guys! Thank you. Should I just wear out the stock impeller and wear ring before replacing it? How does sand effect it? any of you running sand in a sport jet?

Sand, rocks, dirt, mud....I have not had any problems running in our river on the East Coast and Im not that careful with the boat. We run it pretty shallow and hard and beach it regularly. I have about 50 hours on the motor and have only added gas and oil and the Mercury gas additives.