Thread: Understanding GMU and GUA

Default Understanding GMU and GUA

Might seem like a dumb question to Alaskans, but can someone explain to me how the Unit numbers etc. work. I have looked at the website and it refers to say"Gmu 20, GUA 4", but I read you guys talking about hunting in bear in 20A or 20C etc. How does it work

Thanks
    oz

When we say GMU 20, it refers to Game Management Unit 20. When using terms like 20A, or 20E, we are refering to sub units within unit 20. Ckeck the fish and game site, under game regs. There's a big map of alaska with all the units and sub units.

-Eric

Thanks for that lab man. I pretty much got that, but it says on the website that guide x is licenced to hunt Unit 20, GUI 4, does that mean 20D

oz

GUA is "Guide Use Area". The GMUs are subdivided into GUAs that guides may register to operate in. You need to go to the Dept. of Commerce website to download the maps of GMUs marked with GUAs.

Default thanks Chisana and lab man but theres more

Great, I am finally gettin a picture of where I might be hunting

What can y'all tell me of the hunting in 20a - wood river catchment. Thats about as accurate as I can get at the monemt.

From what I can glean from the website, Caribou are off limits to us aliens in 20a (I know thats gonna make someone check the regs) is that right?

Default 20A caribou

The caribou hunt there is a draw permit open to residents and non-residents. The permit application period is open now and closes 31 May.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/