Thread: Hevi-Beads

Default Hevi-Beads

I chose not to attend this years Great Alaska Sportsmans Show, thinking that if I went I would just see the same old stuff. I heard about Hevi-Beads and found out they were at the show. Did anybody stop buy the booth to check them out? What do you think of thier product?

http://www.hevi-beads.com

I stopped by and bought some, not sure how they fish as I haven't used them yet, but they seem pretty good to me from the point of not busting as many beads on your back cast……….they didn't have a lot of different colors that looked real, however some of the ones they had would glow in UV light. So all in all I haven't used them, they seem pretty durable, the one thing I can see being an issue is the weight….they might drag…….I think Mt. Sports carries them? If not you can order them online.

I spoke to them for a while. Mt view carries them. I know guys that fish painted glass beads regularly and they do well. Eliminates the split shot. The hevi guys are steelheaders and definitely like the uv and glow stuff. They arnt as schooled up on the match the hatch of eggs for the fishing up here. But some great concepts and tools of rigging their beads. Interested in the uv aspect with some touch up painting and you can run a uv coat I paint on the beads as well.
    NRA life Member JVJ

Over the last few years I have played around with clay beads and natural beads, primarily pink coral in 7-8 mm. They are heavier and get down where the fish are. I also like the way you can mix 2-3 colors of clay to make custom colors with swirls and such. A nice winter past time as well and the beads produce fish. The pink coral (linked below) is a good bead and we have caught lots of nice fish on the Upper Kenai with them as well. Can' speak of the beads you list here, but I do think there is some merit to a 'heavier' bead in general. Then again, I was talking to a fellow redneck here in NC the other day about bass fishing and he told me chartreuse was the only color that worked on this certain lake. Said 'If it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use'. When asked what other colors he has tried, he said 'none'. So of course he only catches fish on chartreuse. ha ha.. Pointing out the obvious, I could be guilty of passing on the same tunnel visioned yet well intentioned advice here. But as it relates to bead fishing, two things improved my catches. One was using longer leader and more split shot than what I was previously using. Jose and Drifter helped me see the light here. Phish and Pegleg as well. The other thing, using clay beads I made myself and the pink coral beads which are quite heavy. End result from the two changes was presenting a bead that spent more time in the strike zone. Hard to argue that this alone could have made all the difference in the world.

Pink coral beads (buy these, thank me later)...

http://www.firemountaingems.com/item..._id=TMSHIPCONF

My clay beads (also in 7 mm) made with a plastic bead rolling tool you can buy online...

And some faux stone beads I found at Michael's (craft store chain). Great looking beads and 8 mm as I recall..

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Pink coral beads (buy these, thank me later)...

http://www.firemountaingems.com/item..._id=TMSHIPCONF

-Dan
    I'm thanking you now, didn't go for the pink swirl but the website led me to several other choices with orange!

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Over the last few years I have played around with clay beads and natural beads
    -Dan
    Dan,
    what technique do you use to bore the center hole out? I've made some Sculpey beads in the past but it seems the majority of them split or chip out if I drill them... Also, do you seem to have any trouble busting beads on your backcast??