Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishapalooza 2013... Anyone going?

Question Fishapalooza 2013... Anyone going?

Wife and I are starting to plan trip to Alaska this summer/fall. Wondering if anyone was going to be on the Upper Kenai in September. Last year we missed Palooza as wife was 8 months pregnant and I did a float on the Kwethluk in SW. Year before last on the Upper Kenai it was record flood, fishing was not ideal, etc.. Sounds like last September had some weather related challenges as well. We were on the Kwethluk for ten days in early September and had a hell of a storm go over us that hit Anchorage with 115 mph winds as I am told. Heard the Kenai got some bad weather. Wondering if anyone is planning on being there this September. We recently bought a 10 foot Sotar from Goo mainly with the Upper Kenai in mind as we can throw it in the bed of a rented pick up truck and not need to rent truck with hitch, trailer, etc.. Wife and I enjoy remote floats above all else, but had a great time at Palooza in recent years. Since the value of this trip is largely sociable for us, was curious if anyone was going to be there to socialize with. ha ha...

-Dan

Has anyone set dates for the event, yet?

Dan, I haven't heard of any dates, yet. I should be there in Mid-Sept barring that week getting booked for Goodnews (yeah, I know "awwwwww"), not sure who is organizing this gig anymore, but I know myself and some of the usual suspects will be in the vicinity. Likely camping a few nights on the river itself, as that's what camping SHOULD be.....

Best to your far superior half.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Oh, I'll be there of course.
    Looking @ getting there September 9th or 10th probably.
    Will be there to about October 14th.

Good to hear M & D. The two of you are enough company for me to justify the trip. Talked with Carrie and we will be there. Already planned on it for the most part, but was eager to hear who would be there. Weather these last two years was less than ideal and doused the Palooza titillation in a very appreciable way. This year is sure to be better, dependent on the commitment of the attendees. We plan on doing our part and extra camp chairs are always welcome on my $20/night piece of dirt. Stay long enough and I will feed you something from the dutch oven. As I said before, we go to Palooza for the socialization. Weather is unpredictable and should not make or break a trip. At least not for those that plan ahead. Simm's overpriced wading jacket. Check. Store camp chairs under the RV at night. Check. Bring extra liquor. Check.

Gary,

It is far from an 'event', unless you count liquor filled red plastic cups, 383 cigarette butts in a fire ring, dutch oven chili, and enough beads to host a Girl Scout Jamboree as an event. Well, guess it is an event of sorts, but extremely informal. During the three Paloozas we have been to (all but the first and last of five), folks just show up here and there, overlapping in timing, some for a day, some a weekend, and some like drifter trying to get residency for a dividend check. If picking a time to show up, anything from Sept 10-20 would be a safe bet. As the time nears, folks will firm up their plans and start posting dates.

Heard from Chuck today and he will finalize his dates by the end of the month. John often comes up during this time and stays with Chuck. Quinn is close by and will be around if his wife gives him permission. Kristie and Dale will be close enough by to drop in, hopefully doing some fishing this year. Then there is Jamie, highpockets, Toby, Dave, Bigcox, Hayduke, Jose, the dancing midget (oops, counted Quinn twice), Max, Potbuilder, Spoiledone, Kristancanoe, etc.. Countless others will chime in eventually and drop by for a few days here and there. Drifter is staying into early winter. Carrie and I will likely be there around Sept 12-20 or thereabouts. That is kind of how it goes in a nutshell. A beer soaked, rained on, bead holding, size 8-12 hook, hungover, corndog from wildman's, Alaskan White, hippie girl omelet from Sunrise, bear chewing up my size 16 Danner's kind of nutshell.

Do drop in

-Dan

I'll be fishing and floating down there late Aug on thru Sept. Looking forward to it, but that will mean Winter is soon again and we are not done with this one yet. Dan is your new Little man coming or staying back home with someone? See you this fall Dan and Cari.

Look forward to seeing you there man. Danattherock III will be staying in NC with the grand parents. Can't imagine taking a 5 month old to Alaska. Nothing to do with Alaska, but the 8,000 miles in an airplane would be brutal. Would rather slam my pecker in a door. Next year perhaps. When he can walk around, follow directions somewhat, and swim. Don't plan on going without him after that point. 2-3 years old should do it, depending on his development and such. At 5 months he is crawling, sitting from a lying position, said his first word last week ("Hi"), weighs over 20 lbs, and is eating Little Debbie cakes. Redneck in training and he is progressing quickly it seems. Admittingly, he has a better teacher than most.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Look forward to seeing you there man. Danattherock III will be staying in NC with the grand parents. Can't imagine taking a 5 month old to Alaska. Nothing to do with Alaska, but the 8,000 miles in an airplane would be brutal. Would rather slam my pecker in a door. Next year perhaps. When he can walk around, follow directions somewhat, and swim. Don't plan on going without him after that point. 2-3 years old should do it, depending on his development and such. At 5 months he is crawling, sitting from a lying position, said his first word last week ("Hi"), weighs over 20 lbs, and is eating Little Debbie cakes. Redneck in training and he is progressing quickly it seems. Admittingly, he has a better teacher than most.

-Dan
    Cute kid - looks like someone just told him they were taking his flyrod to AK & he wasn't going to go. He'd probably want to eat beads, himself at this stage, anyway. Teach him to row, then bring him up.
    Gary

He is pissed because he was watching his mom eat a BBQ sandwich

I live in Kenai. I'll be around. Got a couple hunting tags that will eat my weekends, but I'll be fishing during the week. You want to drink beer, float, or hike to some stuff, get ahold of me. I've always got fish on the brain.

I will be there.....just not sure when or for how long......I will have to see what my schedule looks like, and how much leave time I will have by then. Count me in though

I had planned on attending last year until I heard there was no tents allowed because of the stupid bears. I plan on trying to make it again this year unless they wont let tents in again.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

That's why I generally raft into a spot and camp along the river.
    I loathe "camping" on pavement.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    That's why I generally raft into a spot and camp along the river.
    I loathe "camping" on pavement.

I dont have my non-powered boat I usually end up hitching a ride with some one or just fishing the banks.

As the Fall gets closer, gimme a shout. I should have room, or know someone that does.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    As the Fall gets closer, gimme a shout. I should have room, or know someone that does.
    Will do. I love that portion of river. Absolutely gorgeous and great fishing to bot.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I'll be fishing and floating down there late Aug on thru Sept. Looking forward to it, but that will mean Winter is soon again and we are not done with this one yet. Dan is your new Little man coming or staying back home with someone? See you this fall Dan and Cari.
    I'll be showing up if all goes well. Hope the weather is a bit warmer this year and my camper doesn't spring another leak in the hydraulic system(its a long story) Andy's got to be one of hardest of the hardcores to sleep in his car on those below zero freezing arse nights. But we still had a good time !! See ya guys there and maybe we'll get you out on the sound for a day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA190885.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	70494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA180879.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	70495

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Andy is definitely hardcore.