Thread: NuCanoe Frontier... Big Boy kayak that accepts motor, stable for standing up, etc...

Talking NuCanoe Frontier... Big Boy kayak that accepts motor, stable for standing up, etc...

I just bought a very interesting kayak. It is 12 feet long, 41" wide, has a 650 lb payload, is self bailing and unsinkable, weighs 77 lbs, and accepts electric trolling motors or 2.5 hp outboards. There is a video on Youtube if you google Nucanoe outboard, that shows one running about 10 mph with a Suzuki 2.5 hp outboard. There is a place in Tennessee (Newoutboards.com) that is an authorized dealer and sells the 2.5 hp for $707 shipped and tax free. Took this boat out three times this week and got one ordered for the wife that should be here any day. We bought them to extend our fishing range and because we can stand up and fly fish from them. Never been on such a stable boat. At 6'6" 300 lbs, I can stand up and fish easily. A casting brace is an option on the boat and I bought one, but have not used it yet. Unbelievably stable kayak, a canoe/kayak hybrid they call it. Anyway, just thought I would show you guys a boat you may not have seen. I heard of the original NuCanoe, but this newly designed Frontier model was something I had never heard of till the other week. I got a 40 lb trolling motor on mine now, will use it on the wife's boat. Picking up a 55 lb thrust motor today for mine. With group 24-29 batteries, these new Minn Kota Endura Max run for a long time. The 'max' feature extends battery life apparently, and it works. Fished 4-5 hours the other day and battery was still at 76% when I got home and put it on the charger. Can't wait to put the 2.5 hp outboards on these boats.

http://www.nucanoe.com/models/frontier/

http://www.newoutboards.com/Suzuki-2-5-hp-outboard.html

-Dan

Interesting craft, but what makes a canoe a canoe or a kayak a kayak?

Nice looking craft! 41" wow! That is wide! You got to love the capacity too. It's 200 pounds more than my 12 ft outback (33 inches wide which used to be consider super wide).

I've seen some great reviews for it. Do you plan to take it out in the saltwater? I'd be curious to kow how a bigger wider yak like that handles in the choppier waters!

Looks like you will have a blast on it!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Interesting craft, but what makes a canoe a canoe or a kayak a kayak?
    Hull design primarily. The way the hulls ride on or in the water, they way the bows cut through water, etc. It's not the covering because I've seen canoes made with covers (decked canoes).

The NuCanoes are, to my eye, more of a piraue (pee roh) boat than either a canoe or kayak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post

Do you plan to take it out in the saltwater? I'd be curious to kow how a bigger wider yak like that handles in the choppier waters!

That is one of the primary reasons I got it. Will be going up and down the intracoastal waterway 2 miles or so to access tidal creeks where the redfish hide. These creeks are 1-2' deep and meander along till they taper down and end about 300-500 yards away. Just drainage for the expansive marsh essentially, not really creeks if you will. The water is bathtub slick once you get there and standing up on the NuCanoe and using a stand up paddle board style paddle or push pole will be the way to get around. Also, standing is needed to see the fish before you spook them. They feel the push of the water from the poled, paddled, etc.. boat and if you get too close, off they go. That is why you see the guides wearing bank robber looking mask, polarized glasses, and dark breamed ball caps, all in an effort to see the fish before they get spooked. The only issue with accessing these small tidal creeks is going up and down the waterway, a highway of boat traffic of sorts. I will be buying the 2.5 hp Suzuki outboards to limit my time on this bigger water with boat traffic. The boats stability, combined with the optional casting brace to hold on to, will be perfect for standing and fly fishing. The fact that it will accept an outboard, it's width and stability, and such will allow me to use the boat to get to the fishing grounds. Our 6th and 7th kayaks, this boat is in a league of it's own. Truly.

-Dan

Nice yak, Dan. Are you fishing from that in AK, and if so what area? I've taken to fishing from a kayak now to extend my range too, and to escape the heavy fishing in areas with direct road access in SouthCentral. But I've been looking at the NuCanoe to supplement my Hobie (Revo 13) just for the standing stability -- very attractive as a fly fisher. If you're in SouthCentral, I'd love to give your new boat a look -- looks like it would be great fun on the Gulkana (but for the stretch through the rapids...) LOVE flyfishing for grayling on that river.

I live in North Carolina and will use the boat in lakes and the saltwater marsh and tidal creeks chasing redfish. Very unusual boat, that is for sure. We picked up the wife's NuCanoe Frontier today, can't wait to get her out in it.