Thread: 45 Super

Default 45 Super

Cannot quite make out the manufacturer of the pistola.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Same here. What make is that fine looking 1911? Also, where did you find the 45 Super Ammo and what pound recoil spring you running? Looks like it is an accurate load.

The 1911 in the picture is a Springfield that I carried until it rusted. I sent it to Jack Huntington for a face lift and a match grade barrel fitted properly for 45 Super. I am running an 18.5 pound spring. The barrel slide lock-up is fitted to stayed locked as long as the pivot link will allow. This allows pressure to drop enough be fore opening allowing only an 18.5 pound spring

Buffalo Bore and Underwood Ammo both load 45 Super Ammo.

Very nice. I googled that ammo and found impressive numbers. 230gr bonded JHP at 1100fps! Your Springfield's facelift turned out nice.

I like the 45 Super and a G21 with KKM barrel (45 ACP) and a Home made 1911 on a Baer frame and slide with 20# spring. The guns performance is as advertised 230 grains at 100 fps from the 5" guns. I have hunted with it over the past decade and find it the right balance of power in the 1911 frame. The old Glock is a strong old beat up gun that shoots very well with KKM barrel fitting a little tighter. It is very close to the big bore revolvers from 4" barrels but not a magnum. Shootable with a lot more punch. The cartridge fits standard ACP chambers and going back to ACP requires only a spring change and sight adjustment. I don't swap back I use these two as dedicated to the super only with fixed sights tuned for the load.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I think I remember a previous thread several months back when you addressed the difference in performance between 45 super and 460 Rowland. If I remember correctly, the 45 super out of a 5" government model was fairly close in performance to the 460 and a cheaper route to go for a guy who already has a decent all steel government model 1911. Has anyone seen factory loaded 45 super locally in the Anchorage/MatSu area? I would be interested in trying some out as all it would require is a spring change if I understand correctly. Thanks for the info!

My 45 Super was fitted with a Kart match grade barrel by Jack Huntington. The slide to barrel lock-up stays locked as long as possible with the pivot link. An 18 1/2 pound spring is utilized, which I prefer over the really heavy springs. I am getting 1130 FPS with the Underwood 230 grain bonded JHP and 1090 FPS with the Buffalo Bore 255 grain hard cast RNFP

I am very happy with the 45 Super set up this way. I am able to shoot 45 ACP or 45 Super interchangeably

There is an interesting and informative article on the Real Guns site; title is something like "Kimber .45 Super for $8". I really do wish a major manufacturer would decide to go around Hindeman's strangle-hold on the name by just using Super .45 instead of 45 Super. Dean Grinnell's concept is even more valid today than it was when first put it together 20 some years ago, with the advances that have been made in powders.

I recently picked up one of the Turkish manufactured 1911s ($345 before shipping) with the idea of it being an inexpensive test bed for me to try the concept out. The Buffalo Bore 255 LSWC at 1100 fps duplicates the best you used to be able to get out of the Colt SAA in .45 Colt with that Keith bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by DB404 View Post
    There is an interesting and informative article on the Real Guns site; title is something like "Kimber .45 Super for $8". I really do wish a major manufacturer would decide to go around Hindeman's strangle-hold on the name by just using Super .45 instead of 45 Super. Dean Grinnell's concept is even more valid today than it was when first put it together 20 some years ago, with the advances that have been made in powders.

I recently picked up one of the Turkish manufactured 1911s ($345 before shipping) with the idea of it being an inexpensive test bed for me to try the concept out. The Buffalo Bore 255 LSWC at 1100 fps duplicates the best you used to be able to get out of the Colt SAA in .45 Colt with that Keith bullet.
    I know this is an old thread, but just got back from the range shooting Buffalo Bore 45 Super 255g hard cast lead ammo. Very impressed. I have a Springfield V16 Long Slide made for the 45 Super and the ammo fed and functioned flawlessly. It was very accurate (sub 1" at 15 yards) and chrono'd at 1115 fps. Recoil in the V16 was about the same as my Springfield Pro shooting factory 230g regular (not P+) ammo. Definitely my new hiking/bear defense round. I shoot 230g bonded Golden Sabres out of my Springfield Pro for concealed carry.