Thread: question on failsafe

Default question on failsafe

I've heard mixed reviews on the Failsafe bullet and don't have any experience with it myself. Can anyone with any experience with these give me some feedback. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by jreed View Post
    I've heard mixed reviews on the Failsafe bullet and don't have any experience with it myself. Can anyone with any experience with these give me some feedback. Thanks to all.

I have read that It's been discontinued. I have personally had success with the round and I like it very much. Sorry to see it go, but there are an array of other well-constructed bullets out there to choose from...

Thumbs up fail safes

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    I have read that It's been discontinued. I have personally had success with the round and I like it very much. Sorry to see it go, but there are an array of other well-constructed bullets out there to choose from...
    I heard they were on the way out as well ...the few I tried I really liked...some one probably made a bad shot or cried too loud and too often about some freak happening...I think they (winchester) were onto something...the product was improving steadily with the steel insert....ah well.....the good things don't always catch on....look at the 6mm rem .....far behind in sales to the .243 win....yet superior in every way possible...the great .358 win as well is being ignored while the .338 federal gets the press....the .358 win eats the .338 fed alive...although I do admit we already have a .35 whelen, yet I long for a .338 a-square...too many people (me included) with more money than brains I guess...lets re-invent the wheel again and again and again.

jedi
    Last edited by null20071; 05-11-2007 at 15:53.

I used the original Lubalox-coated 250-grain .338-caliber FS, loaded to produce a little over 2,800 fps with great success. I can attest to breaking both shoulder bones on a moose that was standing broadside to me 200 yards away. A very tough bullet that I confided for hunting in bear country. I stopped using it once the Lubalox coating was replaced with Molybdenum Disulfide by the company.

I used to newer version of the failsafe while bear hunting this spring - the new Winchester XP3's - Bullet performance was good - I used a .308 150grain XP3 for black bear. I hit the right shoulder, and the bullet traveled all the way through and came to rest on the left side - Perfect mushroom and retained its weight extremely well. I'd use them again..Though 150grains is a bit light.

Default thanks

thanks for the feedback. I am kind of new to this forum and I am really enjoying it. I appreciate this info. It's much better than reviews in the gun magazines which tend to be biased alot of the time. This is real world stuff.
    Thanks again.

Default Faisafe

I've used the 165 in 30-06 on moose and musk ox and the 230 in 338 on moose, musk ox and grizzly. Great performance, all targets are dead.

Yeah - If theres anything you'd like to know I just shot a bear on Tuesday with the XP3's which are supposed to be an improvement on the Fail-safes...

I have shot two moose with the 230 grain failsafes and found them to be an excellent bullet. My understanding was the cost to make bullets was their main downfall. I have not seen a XP3 in 338 yet or have I missed it?

It was about the cost. They said it cost to much to continue making the ammo while at the same time making it affordable.

Thumbs up

Both the original and "improved" Fail Safe were an excellent bullet. Some people didn't like the double mushroom they got with the original Fail Safe so a steel cup was added to correct it. The steel cup insert was expensive to produce so they discontinued the Fail Safe. Then comes XP3 which is essentially an original Fail Safe with a poly-tip, the only problem I see with the XP3 is they don't offer it in .338 or .375.

Default thanks to all

they probably won't make it in .358 either(my caliber of choice).
    thanks all of you for your input on this. The info really helps. I've messed with this bullet in '06 but never shot anything with it.