Thread: Homer this weekend

Default Homer this weekend

Howdy all, I'm taking the family down to Homer for a four-day weekend. We'll be bringing the boat, and heading out to find some of the beautiful kings people have been posting. Is it worth bringing the jigging gear and seeking halibut at this time of year? I assume I'd have to head outside, depending on the sea conditions, but how far? Safe in a 20 ft HT alu?

Thanks.

This time of year I mostly just spend all my time targeting kings, but I have caught some halibut over by Seldovia in years past. If you wanted to catch some halibut, I am sure you can find some, just don't expect fast action. Maybe some other members have some hot spots this time of year they can help you out with. Good luck fishing this weekend.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I would think inside of Pogi you would have a more than good chance at Halibut and you'll probably go half way there anyway for Kings.

Looks like a decent marine forecast for the weekend too.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Last year middle of April I fished 150 ft depth straight out from Seldovia and caught halibut. Had to weed through the cod thought but they were there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

And if you catch cod in the process of targeting halibut, don't believe the standard line about them being a trash fish - they are good! They're every bit as tasty as halibut, if not more so. But yes...you can catch halibut this time of year.

I will be down there too. Plan on catching butts, rockies, and maybe a king if we get lucky. I'll be staying in Tutka Bay at a rental cabin. Plan on fishing from there out to Pogi if the water is good. My boats a couple foot shorter than yours so I have to keep an eye on the weather............

I caught a 84 pound butt on king troll gear in 80 ft of water out in front of Seldovia in March a few yrs ago. The downrigger was set at 40 ft where we saw baitfish when the rod bucked. Luckily it was very cooperative on the reel in. To this date its stilll my biggest hallie.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Bullelk, give me a call when you're there on 16 or 68. I'm the Uisce Beatha, pronounced "whiskey Baja". I'll let you know what we find, where. Tight lines!