Thread: More sensitive to temp. IMR7828 or H4831?

Default More sensitive to temp. IMR7828 or H4831?

Hey, which is more sensitive H4831 or IMR7828?? Need some help here, please!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default My understanding

It's my understanding that the new H4831 is part of Hodgdon's EXTREME powder family. These are powders that are suppose to be thermally stable across a larger temperature range. Meaning that the pressure changes of cartridges being fired at hot or cold temperatures are so slight that they become insignificant at the target. Link to Hodgdon's webpage below.

http://www.hodgdon.com/faq/index.php...eme_Technology
    Q. What is "Extreme Technology?
    1. A. When we introduced Varget, we discovered that it was extraordinarily stable in performance when the operating temperature changed. We investigated this property and found it to be true. We then went back to each of our extruded powders and incorporated this same technology into them. See our examples and comparisons.
    Q. Does Hodgdon plan to include the spherical powders in the Extreme Line?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmnt View Post
    It's my understanding that the new H4831 is part of Hodgdon's EXTREME powder family. These are powders that are suppose to be thermally stable across a larger temperature range. Meaning that the pressure changes of cartridges being fired at hot or cold temperatures are so slight that they become insignificant at the target. Link to Hodgdon's webpage below.

http://www.hodgdon.com/faq/index.php...eme_Technology
    “Q. What is "Extreme Technology?
    1. A. When we introduced Varget, we discovered that it was extraordinarily stable in performance when the operating temperature changed. We investigated this property and found it to be true. We then went back to each of our extruded powders and incorporated this same technology into them. See our examples and comparisons.
    Q. Does Hodgdon plan to include the spherical powders in the Extreme Line?”
    Thank you very much, fixing to get hot down here and need a good powder for TSX 180gr bullet that will give me pretty much same velocities and accuracy when the fall comes.
    Last edited by beartooth; 05-11-2007 at 05:30.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default temp insensitive powders

I'd look at H1000 if you are thinking of a slow powder to match the IMR. The Hodgdon Extreme powders come from Australia with Varget as the first. Many different speed powders are now Extreme.

Any dual based powder will be more insensitive to heat than single based powders. The Reloder line is fairly insensitive. RL 22 and RL25 may fill the bill also for you.

The VV powders N550 and N560 are also good.

So many powders , so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBob View Post
    I'd look at H1000 if you are thinking of a slow powder to match the IMR. The Hodgdon Extreme powders come from Australia with Varget as the first. Many different speed powders are now Extreme.

Any dual based powder will be more insensitive to heat than single based powders. The Reloder line is fairly insensitive. RL 22 and RL25 may fill the bill also for you.

The VV powders N550 and N560 are also good.

So many powders , so little time....
    Reloaders 22 did fill the bill - the following is a three shot group measuring .334 180gr TSX moving 3287 across the Chrono out of my custom 300WBY mag. thank you for your post, I found out that dual base is more insensitive.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS