Thread: Old War Bunkers in Alaska

Default Old War Bunkers in Alaska

When I was a kid, one of my aunts to me to few old war bunkers in NW Washington state. Is was really quite fun and interesting to explore them.

Just curious if anyone knows of any old bunkers that are accessible/open to the public around Alaska?

I would assume Seward has something and I know there's one in Kincaid Park in Anchorage that has been repurposed though I've never been.

Caines Head, Rugged Island, Thumb Cove, out of Seward. Kodiak has a bunch. Unalaska/Dutch Harbor also has many of em, as does Kiska & Attu.

The ones around Kincaid, as well as over off of Goose-Bay in the Valley are Cold War era Nike Sites.

There are a few old pill boxes in Anchorage I used to play in as a kid. Not giving away that info on here tho'..
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

There are a few abandoned military bunkers at Alpenglow ski area between Anchorage and Eagle River. They are at the top of a slope to the west of the parking area. I think there are 2-3 of them and they are pretty good sized. I bet you'd have quite the adventure if you visited all the Abandoned military bunkers in Alaska. Kodiak's bunker area is pretty extensive and awesome to explore.

Sitka used to have great ones on the island chain across from the airport. I'm sure they are still there, but walking across the airport, as we used to do in the 70s, is now forbidden. But they were awesome emplacements. I bet a person could get over there by boat. There used to be lots of cool WWII stuff over there, even a "duck" amphibian.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    There are a few old pill boxes in Anchorage I used to play in as a kid. Not giving away that info on here tho'..
    We used to play in the ones on the rim of Government Hill in the 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    We used to play in the ones on the rim of Government Hill in the 60s.

............ ......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Tons of them in Kodiak

The only ones I've seen are those AKHippie mentioned down near the end of Knik Goose Bay Rd. turn right onto the dirt road just before you get to the air strip, and you'll see the first bunker in roughly 1-2 miles. They have been heavily vandalized, but are still interesting to explore. The area was frequented by target shooters for many years, until it became a game preserve.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

There is one on top of elephant nose across from Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Adak has quite a few and it is so cool over there definitely worth a trip

I temporarily lived in a few different military bunkers behind Boy Scout Lake on Kodiak Island in the later 70s, and an acquaintance had done a nice remodel job on an old military quanset hut in the Bells Flats area during that same time-frame.

Navy Beach, below the emplacements near Boy Scout Lake, was a dumping site for the military when they departed the site and turned the turf over to other entities.

An uncle of mine, now deceased, had been stationed there during the war. When I perused the 'collection' of litter at Navy Beach, I later phoned him and told him they left a serious mess there that they should've been ashamed of; jeeps and parts, appliances... you name it.. bull-dozed into the salt water.

We used to climb down the cliffs there at low tide and pick mussels on the rocks, boil some rice when we got back up top, and when the rice was almost done, scatter the mussels around on top of the rice, letting the steam cook the mussels 'til they opened up and the meat in them was firmed up. Add some garlic powder and tobasco, and a 4-star dinner was served. ;^>)

Lucky beer and steamed mussels with garlic rice and hot sauce.. ;^>)

Kodiak. Seward. Yakutat.