Thread: Where to take the toys?

Default Where to take the toys?

So I have the hauler now where to take it? Looking for kid friendly ATV trails up north to try out. I don't have any problem finding areas to drive our big mud tire equipped utility quads but the little 2wd minis will reduce the number of available areas.

Jon- I know it's a long haul, but the Valdez Creek area up on the Denali Hwy is awesome for the less experienced riders. The little camping area we frequent has a loop that our kids used when they were younger. There are super easy rides on some of the trails near there and on Windy Creek. We annually head up there for the 4th of July.

Closer to town the kids can still have a good time on some of the Eureka trails and messing around in the gravel pit areas.

I've seen kids out on the Eklutna Trail on ATV's but I don't know if it's legal, though.

The big sandbar right after you cross the Big Su on the Parks Highway is a FANTASTIC place for the kids to ride.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Eklutna is good but you just gotta go on the right day of the week. Don't know if they changed the schedule but It used to be Sunday thru Tuesday open to Motorized.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

We used to rock Eureka when I was 8 and my bro was 6 on Suzuki 80s...going down Montument w/o gears to hold you back for an 8 year old was a bit much be we skidded our way down it.

Lots of good trails up that way and the little wheelers are easy to get unstuck in any mud you find.

Eureka was one that I have been thinking would be good. It's been a long time since I have been back in there but I think we would find plenty of areas that the kids could explore out there. Hopefully by next year we will have a 6x6 ranger and can load the little LT80 or sportsman 90 up in the bed for creek crossings. We do hope to make the run up to Alpine Creek lodge if we can get a long weekend off this summer. May be a little challenging with the new job but the kids want to go see Bob.

That ranger 6x6 fit in your toyhauler??

You'd be surprised how capable those little machines are. A few years ago, I went on a hunting trip with a friend and we both had our boys with us. My son was 9 at the time, and riding a Grizzly 80. We went all the way out Petersville road, to where it becomes nothing more than a trail, way out passed Cache Creek Cabins. If you've been out there, then you know you have to cross Cache Creek several times. It was pretty deep and moving fast that year. We developed a technique for crossing, where my boy would ride right next to me on the up - stream side. His machine would float and I'd grab his rack, keeping him next to my Grizzly 700 until we got to the other side. It worked like a charm, and that little Grizzly never got water in the intake. It went pretty much everywhere the big boys went. I only had to tow him through the deeper mud holes.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Boulder creek would be a good one.

Several good trails for kids around Sutton off Jonesville road.

I like sutton too. Open area for kids to ride where you can watch and see them from camp. But still some trails they can go on and big boy trails to boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk-- Ain't technology great!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

The big sandbar right after you cross the Big Su on the Parks Highway is a FANTASTIC place for the kids to ride.
    Dougs right lots of little ones down here on the weekends zipping the 50's and 90's around.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I'd also recommend Eureka for trails. The base is solid on all of the puddles/water/creek crossings so no worry of the little rigs getting stuck. Personally I'd not recommend Boulder due to the swamp crossing at the top of the hill from the parking lot. If they would open up the better access route to the south this year, I'd say go for it. Does anyone know if the dude that blocked it all last summer is going to open it back up? It is a public access.

You can always run Petersville road
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    That ranger 6x6 fit in your toyhauler??
    According to my measuring stick it should just slide in. Another words I can walk upright with a couple inches to spare under the lowest point in the cargo area.