Thread: Anyone pull their anchor with their pot puller?

Default Anyone pull their anchor with their pot puller?

I am putting in a My-T-Hauler pot puller with a 250-lb capacity. On a davit, about mid deck. Was thinking if there was a good way to pull my anchor with it and if it makes any sense to. Only when I anchor maybe 100-200 feet or so. Only in calm water. Currently my line goes through a pulpit on the bow. Guess I could pull the anchor and have all that line on the deck and then have to pull it up to the bow to put in the anchor locker.

I tried it once, and it wasn't in dead calm water. At it's best it'll be a PITA dealing with the rode all over your deck and carrying the anchor to the bow, on the worst you could end up swamping your boat.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

It won't be as clean and easy as an anchor winch on the bow, for sure

but, if you're saving yourself the expense of the anchor winch,...with reason, like a pinch of money,...it is very workable

Beyond a little hassle with the line shuffle,....that will work fine
    and you can leave the anchor on deck somewhere, stash it on bow again for the trip home, versus carryin it back up every time

Where you might encounter issues, is if you try tying it off midship, then having wind come up in mid sleep,...
    just tie off to the Bow,...or a Stern corner and you can haul from wherever is convenient

I have often used a separate anchor, thrown off the stern for quick set and pull, and hauled with my gear hauler

it's just a little hassle,...very doable tho
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It would be far easier to pull your anchor with a buoy vs a potpuller IMO. I have an anchor puller on my bow and a lot of times I still pull with a buoy.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

If your locker is in the bow, can't you just have someone up there and as the windlass pulls the anchor in they pull the rope to the bow and stow it in the locker? At least, when you don't intend to anchor again for awhile.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I always pull my anchor with a buoy. Sometimes if I'm just making a quick move and plan to anchor up again, I'll just pile up the rope and the anchornin the cockpit, make my run and redeploy the hook. Pulling it with my pot puller sounds like it would be more of a hassle than a benefit.

Coil your line in a tub then its not all over you deck. I anchor off the stern alot much quiter at nite than listening to waves slapping the hull I have a line setup for shallow anchoring too. Less hassle with line

I setup my shrimp davit puller to pull a 12lb anchor when I halibut fish. I have an electric windless up front but do not like the slow retrieval speed and adjusting line in the locker. I just use a shot of standard shrimp line and 5 ft of chain on the anchor. I tie off on the side cleat and run the line forward to the bow roller so the bow is pointing upstream. I like this setup when sea conditions are reasonably calm and drift fishing isn't effective. Even if I drift a little, it's slow enough for halibut to catch up. If you are into a biggin' you can quickly detach the anchor line with a bouy on the end and follow the fish. I would not try this rigging in the Inlet but works well in the Sound for me. Noticed similarities to this rigging on Wicked Tuna show, just scaled down a bit. Not for everyone, but works for me. BTW, this rig is used on my Seasport 24 if you're wondering about boat size/weight. The whole rig fits into a standard plastic tote for shrimping and coils up nice and tidy.

I also pull with my pot puller at mid ship in deep water on a 24 ft sea sport. But also follow all the common since "rules" of anchoring. Using zip ties to break free and release the anchor and NEVER tie off for any length of time at the stern - good way to swam your boat. When I get all my rode on deck I tie off in front of the chain and throw all rode over board. Relocate self to the bow and stow the rode - having my son release the chain/anchor when called upon. It is simple and quick. That all being said, I hate anchoring in deep water.

Quote Originally Posted by akroxy View Post
    I also pull with my pot puller at mid ship in deep water on a 24 ft sea sport. But also follow all the common since "rules" of anchoring. Using zip ties to break free and release the anchor and NEVER tie off for any length of time at the stern - good way to swam your boat. When I get all my rode on deck I tie off in front of the chain and throw all rode over board. Relocate self to the bow and stow the rode - having my son release the chain/anchor when called upon. It is simple and quick. That all being said, I hate anchoring in deep water.
    So you pull all your rope in, throw it all over board minus the anchor, and then pull it all back in again? I would hate anchoring too if that is how I retrieved my anchor
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Last year I pulled my 25lb plow anchor, 80ft of heavy chain and 300ft of 1/2" 3-strand nylon line with a minimum of hassle. It was WORTH not having to purchase, mount and maintain a windlass!

With the bitter end of the line in the locker and tied off to a cleat next to the pulpit. After taking the bitter end from the anchor locker I ran the line from the anchor roller and to the outside of the railing. With the nylon running outside of my wrap-around railing I went straight back to the open hauling block of the davit and onto the E-dyne wheels. A spotter at the front confirms that the line is secured in the puller and loosens the turns off of the cleat. The puller engages and pulls over the roller, outside of the railing and straight back to the puller.

As the line peeled off of the Electradyne I stuffed (flaked?) it into a 5gal plastic pail. Most of that line fit inside of the pail after stomping it down. We stopped pulling with the E-dyne once the chain came up to the anchor roller on the pulpit. At that point I had the spotter secure the chain to the cleat. Pull the line off of the E-dyne and carry the bucket full of line to the bow and put the whole bucket full of line right back into the locker. Undo the chain from the cleat and pull the remaining chain, secure anchor and head off!

NOTE: Make sure that the davit can support the load! Schedule 40 pipe wall strength is insufficient for this load combination...ask me how I know.

2013 Plan: 10-15lb Danforth with 15ft of lighter chain for abrasion, and 600' of 3/8" 3-strand nylon for fishing. I'm SURE my E-dyne will launch this combo to the surface so fast that it will make fishing "on the hook" a really "off the hook" affair! Bring on the summer!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    So you pull all your rope in, throw it all over board minus the anchor, and then pull it all back in again? I would hate anchoring too if that is how I retrieved my anchor
    It's quick, safe and easy. Sometimes I will as I retrieve the rode just put it back in the water before it hits the deck. This is not much different or any more time consuming then buoy pulling.

Its the only way i haul my anchor, i just run up on the line while the hauler is running and let the line pile up on deck or run it into the fish tote i store the line in. I'd think that most of the electric haulers might be a bit slow to keep up with a boat running up on the line but then i'd just do the best i can to try and get the line straight up & down then take it out of the davit/hauler to cleat it off to pop the anchor free then back into the hauler for the ride up. I know they use the electra dynes back east just to pull anchors and the hauler on my boat has some pretty heavy duty hydraulics so its not really a apples to apples comparision but if your careful i don't see why any puller couldn't be used to pull a anchor. The only thing that would bug me is having to pull/keep pressure on the puller dics's that just ain't my cup of tea.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Sounds like some people have had success with this method. Looks like I'll do some experimenting this summer.

I agree. I never really thought about it before, but I think I'll try it when moving from one deep drop to another. Might be a faster way to pull when the conditions are right.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I use a puller for my achor line often.