Thread: Sidestripe shrimp questions.

Default Sidestripe shrimp questions.

How long has there been a sidestripe shrimp trawl fishery in PWS and what exactly is a sidestrip shrimp.

Are they typically in deeper water than the spots and tigers??

If I remember correctly the side stripe like deeper muddy bottom. That fishery has been around for years.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    How long has there been a sidestripe shrimp trawl fishery in PWS and what exactly is a sidestrip shrimp.

Are they typically in deeper water than the spots and tigers??
    As mentioned by JR2, that fishery has been around a loooong time. Last I knew there was four boats that work it, though I could be off on that number. They drag in Port Wells, Perry Passage, and up around the north end of Naked Island. The areas they fish are in the neighborhood of 1,500' deep, so there's no competition here with sport shrimpers or the commercial pot fishery.

On a side note, I'm thinking that what you refer to as "tigers" are coonstripe shrimp. We don't have tiger prawns in Alaskan waters.

Somebody told me we had spots and tigers, more bad info I guess. So the smaller striped shrimp caught occassionally along with the spots are called coonstripe?

I was a crewhand on the boat that started the side stripe trawl in PWS back in 1980 . I started on the boat longlining for sable fish and halibut with a good friend of mine who was the other crewhand, we later learned that the skipper had a pair of winches and a trawl net stored on Perry Island and talked the skipper into switching over the gear/refitting the boat for trawl.

Brian is correct about the depth- 225 to 275 fathoms, and general areas being fished There is a couple more that we found a healthy population of sidestripes in, but I will not mention them, we spent a great deal of time prospecting throughout PWS to determine viable fishing grounds. We also provided ADFG a wealth of information being the pioneering boat for that fishery.

We collected our ice by picking up bergy bits and then used a "hammer" for lack of better description, to crush them through a grate. One ton each week, tough work that .

The four years I was on that boat I also had the pleasure of a Phd. Marine Biologist (the skippers father) for company, for two weeks of each summer. I learned a great deal about the deep water seal life we brought to the surface and was lucky enough to see a few fish I saw illustrated in a TIME LIFE book of fishes I had when I was a child, a angler fish and a lantern fish among them, very exciting ! Most anyhting that is on the bottom, we caught and hauled to the surface, an impressive variety of sea life.

Anyway, back to the sidestripes. They do inhabit the flat mud bottoms and are primarily plankton feeders, which means they will not come to a baited pot, so I was told by the "resident Phd." and have never heard of anyone catching a sidestripe in a pot. The striped shrimp that you have caught, as Brian mentioned are coonstripe.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM
    Most anyhting that is on the bottom, we caught and hauled to the surface, an impressive variety of sea life.
    any kraken?

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    any kraken?
    Close... Humboldt squid, a couple over 8ft long !

Nice write up 338, and spot on. They can be found shallower as I've trawled some of them up in the JNU area but like 338 I will not discuss those spots in any detail

They are very tasty, about as big as coonstripes, and are sometimes eaten raw for sushi. When I trawled them we also got lots of pink shrimp and a whole bunch of other critters that I could not identify, was very cool.

338 - was that the New Wave you were on? Sounds like the boat and they owned the South Perry oyster farm (Royal Wave). I've noticed them out on the water and on the docks in Whittier since the early 80's I think.

I used to get a lot of coon stripes in my pots before they changed the mesh size and limited covering to 2 sides to protect the spots. Pinks also, tasty little critters but too small to stay in the larger mesh pots now. All of the shrimp declined in the late 80's in PWS shortly after the hatcheries started up. I always suspected a connection but the spots have come back according to posts I've read, though I haven't shrimped in the sound in over 10 years to check it out. I really miss the shrimp now that I'm fishing out of Seward. Crabbing used to be pretty good too so hope they'll make a similar recovery some day.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I was a crewhand on the boat that started the side stripe trawl in PWS back in 1980 . I started on the boat longlining for sable fish and halibut with a good friend of mine who was the other crewhand, we later learned that the skipper had a pair of winches and a trawl net stored on Perry Island and talked the skipper into switching over the gear/refitting the boat for trawl.
    Any chance this was the F/V Wayward?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Yes, it was the New Wave. Did you see it after I painted the diagonal blue stripes on it ?

338 - No, I missed the blue stripes, all I remember is it being all blue with a definite work boat appearance. You guys were over on B float and I was on C so only got by on the occasional dock walks checking things out and visiting friends further out on B.