Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proposed parking enlargement for Rabbit Slough

Default Proposed parking enlargement for Rabbit Slough

The below proposal was forwarded to me from Joe Meehan, F&G

Please read and send them your comments on the proposal. Note that they plan on doing this project early this summer.

Tankersley, Nancy G (DFG)
    Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 1:35 PM
    Subject: ADF&G Rabbit Slough parking proposals - comments due by April 21

For Rabbit Slough Users:

ADF&G Palmer Hay Flats State Game Refuge
    Proposed Rabbit Slough Parking Enhancements - 2013
    Background and Need: Currently, there is a small (79 feet by 60 feet) parking area near the slough and boat launch at the end of the access road off the Glenn Highway frontage road. At peak use times, additional parking is needed to accommodate trucks with boat trailers (approximately 40 feet long). ADF&G has obtained state and federal funding, and the Matanuska-Susitna Borough has additional funds to provide access and parking enhancements.
    Project Purpose: ADF&G proposes to enlarge designated parking to accommodate a total of at least 15 trucks with trailers, plus smaller vehicles, in a way that will minimize impacts to the protected wetlands.
    Proposal Options (1 or more could be implemented):
    Option A: Widen approximately 100 feet of the access road adjacent to an open field to accommodate two lanes of traffic plus perpendicular parking for at least 9 trucks and trailers and/or smaller vehicles (within Map Area A).
    Option B: Widen portions of the west side of the access road within 500 feet of boat launch to accommodate perpendicular parking for at least 3 trucks with trailers as well as parallel parking for smaller vehicles (Map Area B).
    Option C: Expand the existing parking lot with 40 feet by 80 feet addition to accommodate 6 or 7 more trucks with trailers (Map Area C). The existing parking area (79 feet by 60 feet) would remain available for truck with trailer parking, as well as turnaround space.
    Option D: Add boulders to approximately 100 feet of the east perimeter of the access road from the boat launch to protect the slough bank from parking impacts.
    Schedule: To be completed by June 30, 2013.
    Comments: Please provide any comments by April 21, 2013 to:
    Nancy Tankersley, Special Projects Coordinator
    Lands and Refuges
    Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    333 Raspberry Road
    Anchorage, AK 99518
    nancy.tankersley@alaska.gov
    907-267-2209

Please feel free to forward this email and the attached map to other Rabbit Slough users.

Also, if you have an email address for the Alaska Waterfowl Association, please send it to nancy.tankersley@alaska.gov

Thank you.
    Wasilla

My first thought is that the funds would be better invested at the mud lake boat launch.

Yep...mine to. It could use some serious help.

But option C would be my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMainah View Post
    My first thought is that the funds would be better invested at the mud lake boat launch.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Just where may these maps you talk about be found ?

I emailed the map to you. Maybe you can post it. Bud should have it as well.

H

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Just where may these maps you talk about be found ?
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I think it would be complicated to use refuge funds at mud lake. The hayflats are managed as a refuge by F&G and have funds available for this purpose. Mud lake boat ramp and the entire Jim Creek chain I believe is controled by both the Dept of Nat Resources and some Native ownership, not really sure about who does what, but not managed by F&G. That would be a big problem for transfering funds from one agency to the other. I also agree that better access off Maud Rd would be a big improvement there. Bud
    Wasilla

Can i get a map of those as well I would have to say both a and c

If the money cannot be used for maud rd then my vote would be as such. No trailers at the boat launch, Max of 4 parking spots in the existing lot for vehicles only. The area described as A should be squared off and create a parking grid there. It is already open so there will be minimal tree cutting, it will be a little walk for those of use that choose to use this area. Glad to see something in motion.

Sorry I couldn't get them up.
    But I have to say that I'm NOT for this. The saying "BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME " Comes to mind here. How many times have we heard people complain about the number of people hunting out there and now you want more ? Isn't it enough that there's a gate up and we can only use it when the state says we can. Whats next fees to park or/and to launch a boat. To some this may not be a big deal but to others it is, (most boat launch fees are $10.00 X that by 10 or more) How about those that have shacks out there, how would YOU feel to have to pay just to get to it, I don't think you would stand for that very long. Bud I do respect you so don't take this the wrong way ( you don't use this launch) how about we improve the knik river launch and after a few years, with not just more people at the launch but at the portage as well we see how it works for you. The next thing I see is motor restrictions, For those of us that hunt the lake which is 20 hp max it may not efect us or maybe it will ? I know there are alot of others that hunt off the slough and use larger motors. I have hunted this area for along time, not just for ducks but moose as well and I like it the way it is even before they improved the road. Haven't we learned that MORE GOVERNMENT is not a good thing !

And whoever it is that keeps parking infront of the launch (creek side ) Stop it your in the way!

Agree with Bob, I am against the proposed "improvements". This would only promote increased traffic.

I hunt during the week so I guess I don't see the shet show on the weekends

I also agree with Bob, I am against the proposed "improvements". When the access is "improved" the resource suffers. The better the "improvements" the greater fee.

and I hope "Mr. Blue Truck", who parks in front of the ramp reads.

Stop trashing the refuge with 'improvements'. Save the money for legitimate habitat issues directly related to the integrity of the marsh proper .

This the map ya'll were looking for?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I agree with what seems like the majority on here. I do not want to see parking lot improvements, boardwalks, restrooms, etc for the hunt areas. This is Alaska, not California. After all, the only day of the year there is a real problem parking there is opening day of duck season. The distance from parking to the launch area gets less every day after that. I would like to see whatever funds they have available for the rufuge be used towards stopping the drainage of the wetlands south of Cottonwood Creek. I know it's a small amount compared to what is required, but perhaps useing it to buy just a few mats to harden one mudhole would be more benifit to the habitat and users of the refuge then additional parking. Bud
    Wasilla

I know it's a small amount compared to what is required, but perhaps useing it to buy just a few mats to harden one mudhole would be more benifit to the habitat and users of the refuge then additional parking. Bud
    I have to agree with you. If there is any persistence on doing something about the parking problem at rabbit slough I would go with Plan A. Helps with the boat launch problem(be a good way to get exercise walking back to the lauch.....just saying LOL.) and would be beneficial to those of us who train dogs in that area also.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Agree Maud lake could use a make over.
    If I had to vote on the Rabbit proposal I would lean towards C.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The Mud Lake ramp improvements are part of the Knik Public Use Area master plan. The largest issue there is that the ramp is an easement through Village Corporation Land. The State owns the easement but not the land. The easement is not very wide and presents significant development issues. The State needs to buy/swap land from the Corporation in order to do anything meaningful there.

Quote Originally Posted by bakerra2 View Post
    Agree with Bob, I am against the proposed "improvements". This would only promote increased traffic.
    It would increase traffic, we are already seeing it as people continue to post pictures and promote the area on this forum and others. There are lots of internet scouts out there and a lot of the posting on here adds to the crowding. The best hunters I know never say a word or post , they just watch the area get over run with people, those of us that have hunted it for 15+ years have seen a huge change, especially since the internet forums the past 5 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast