Thread: Bait site gutting?

Default Bait site gutting?

Do you gut your bear at the bait site or drag it off away from your bait?

Thanks in advance!

Depends, I prefer to gut them away from sight, to keep other predators and griz away from it. However one year I shot a black bear that was too big for us to handle we had to gut him on site (about 75 yards away). Came back the following week and gut pile was gone, and we still had black bears coming in to the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Depends, I prefer to gut them away from sight, to keep other predators and griz away from it. However one year I shot a black bear that was too big for us to handle we had to gut him on site (about 75 yards away). Came back the following week and gut pile was gone, and we still had black bears coming in to the bait.
    Yeah.....when the wind's right they clean up pretty quick.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks, I was afraid of a carcass bringing in browns, perhaps i'm getting ahead of myself though since the season is three weeks out! Glad to hear blacks still came in!

Hard to keep a blackie away from sweets.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I also prefer to drop the guts away from my station but like others have mentioned, sometimes thats not really an option. And when i've had to do so, I havent noticed any additional grizzly activity because so. Good luck

I can not claim any experience baiting for bear, but still I have to ask. Why would it concern you to gut a black bear near a bait station that is bringing in black bears ? A black bear is going to be as opportunistic to a free lunch that is a gut pile as it is to whatever bait you have put out. If there are browns/grizzly in the area and have not come to the station, I seriously doubt that a gut pile will change their mind.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I can not claim any experience baiting for bear, but still I have to ask. Why would it concern you to gut a black bear near a bait station that is bringing in black bears ? A black bear is going to be as opportunistic to a free lunch that is a gut pile as it is to whatever bait you have put out. If there are browns/grizzly in the area and have not come to the station, I seriously doubt that a gut pile will change their mind.
    Antsy, antisipitory musings of a kid on christmas eve, or in this case 3 weeks from my first try at bear baiting. Havn't seen it discussed here.

I have killed and cleaned several bears on my bait and never had issues with it. I have also never had any bear black or brown touch the carcass the only thing that has eaten on the carcasses has been birds.
    Right at the foot of this bear there is a carcasses of the one killed 3 days earlier. We killed the one in this picture too he was just under 6'

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Antsy, antisipitory musings of a kid on christmas eve, or in this case 3 weeks from my first try at bear baiting. Havn't seen it discussed here.
    A question worth asking to satisfy curiosity in the least, or to learn from otherwise.

I usually gut them fairly close to my bait site. I try to drag them away, maybe 50-100yds or so. Never had an issue with attracting grizz, the guts and carcass get cleaned up pretty quick.

Why even gut the bear......? skin him out, take the head and claws and whatever meat you may want. easy. even if you drag off your carcass a little ways, its a very very minimal amount of distance away from your site and no bear is going to care whether you leave it on or take it off. ive never drug them off and if you have a brown/grizz in the area they are going to come into your bait either way. a free meal is a free meal to them.

..........However one year I shot a black bear that was too big for us to handle we had to gut him on site (about 75 yards away). Came back the following week and gut pile was gone, and we still had black bears coming in to the bait.
    We left a black bear rib cage attached to backbone from base of skull to tail (with straps harvested) and guts above high tide on an island in PWS, stayed the night in a small bay a couple of miles away, and the next afternoon visited the gut pile. Everything was gone, including the heavy, bone frame. This island is widely considered free of brown bears. The only thing I can think of that could have carried it away is another black bear, wolves, or a wolverine.

I think black bears are as carnivorous and cannibalistic as brown bears.

I've always played it safe keeping a sled in my boat and hauling the carcass up/down river (depending on the wind) for skinning. I've never had a huge problem with brown bears on my sites - and I'd like to keep it that way. That said, I may rethink my position after the new brown bear rules go into effect next year.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I have seen many black bears chowing on skinned out bears on the beaches of pws...none of any size but remember they are scavengers and opportunist when comes to feeding.

Agreed. Perhaps the better question to ask is if anyone has ever had issues with a brown bear after leaving a carcass at or near their bait site.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

another question is: Are you alone, or got someone to watch yuor back?

Skinning, and harvesting the meat from a good sized black takes time and sometimes you wont be looking over your shoulder....

even a another blackie coming in may want a easy meat snack....

I prefer to haul whole animal away from site, and to a place where lots of open area around me. Also, nice if coolers close by to keep the meat clean and cold.

Chris

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    another question is: Are you alone, or got someone to watch yuor back?

Skinning, and harvesting the meat from a good sized black takes time and sometimes you wont be looking over your shoulder....

even a another blackie coming in may want a easy meat snack....

I prefer to haul whole animal away from site, and to a place where lots of open area around me. Also, nice if coolers close by to keep the meat clean and cold.

Chris
    i butchered a bear solo once....never again!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    i butchered a bear solo once....never again!
    At this point I won't even bait alone! We'll see if I get more comfortable...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    At this point I won't even bait alone! We'll see if I get more comfortable...
    Right on! That's exactly what I was doing. It was one of those experiences that causes you to make better decisions in the future!!!!