Thread: Any Luck in Whitter????

Question Any Luck in Whitter????

Hows bear hunting in whitter going..? just wonder cause im going down next week

Going out this weekend. I hope to have good news to report when I get back.

Default PW Bear hunting

We were out a couple days last week, there is still a "ton" of snow in PW sound. A few southern facing ridges and slopes are showing some open ground, other than that we saw 3-5 feet of snow just above the high tide mark. We did spot one den with tracks just outside the den, however we didn't have snow shoes or that much ambition to climb up there. We were happy sitting on the boat eating shrimp

Default pic of snow in PW sound

This was taken in Hidden Bay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default No sign of them yet?

Spent all day yesterday scouting, no sign of em as far as I could tell. Quite a bit of snow melt off the south facing slopes, a TON of it left on the North Side. Cruised some through Port Nellie Juan, lot of boat traffic, maybe the bears decided to keep away till things quieted down.

First time in Deep Water, was sure a pretty sight to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We went out Friday evening and came back yesterday. Nice weather on Saturday, but we fought some rough seas getting home on Sunday. There is still a lot of snow in PWS, and we woke up to frost on the windows Saturday morning.

We saw two bears on Saturday. Due to terrain, we couldn't get any closer than about 500 yards on our first stalk. It was good to see a bear and walk around on shore for a little while.

A few hours later, we saw Bear #2. At first glance from the boat, he looked like a small bear - a long legged fella. On shore, we worked our way to within 50 yards, and I watched him through the scope for a minute or two trying to size him up. He was crawling around in the rocks, and I never could see his whole body, so I decided not to shoot. A friend videotaped our stalk from the boat, and from the video, he looked like a decent bear. No worries, though. I had all of the fun of a bear hunt and none of the work! You've just got to love those hunt & release opportunities!

With the exception of the snotty weather yesterday, it was a great weekend. We ate a bunch of shrimp, saw some bears, and we didn't have any mechanical or boat issues. A great "first run" for the season. I can't wait to get back out there and do it again!
    Last edited by Dan in Alaska; 05-14-2007 at 09:12. Reason: spelling

Went out Friday and Saturday. Saw two bears Friday but couldn't get on either of them before they were gone. Exciting to seem them out though.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Posted before Shot May 4th

I potsed a pic before, but this one was taken at 60 yds on a hillside May 4th.

Question How big?

Nice bear trapperbob,...how big was it squared? Can't wait to get my chance down there in a couple weeks...

Happy Hunting...

AZinAK

Default nice

nice bear...looks like a nice hide too...hope to get one of those this weekend!! cant wait for my turn