Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport Fishing for Herring?

Default Sport Fishing for Herring?

Had a few questions buzzing around...
    Where do you go to catch herring from the shore with a pole?

What are the rigs called that you use to catch them?

Is this the right time of year to fish for them? If not then when?

Could I possibly catch hooligan with a herring type setup?

Thanks for the info.
    ESF

You are looking for a Sabiki rig.
    I have heard of people catching Herring from the shores of Whittier with a pole. Use the search function to find the post and you should learn where to go etc.
    I have never tried to actually "fish" for Hooligan. I have always used a net. A Sabiki might work. I guess I never have heard of anyone actually catching them on a rod and reel in AK. Have heard of people who tried but never heard of anyone having any success.
    They do catch them (Euchalon aka smelt)through the ice on the east coast and on lake superior in MN and Wisconsin on hook and line. Of course those are not spawning fish in AK.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    Could I possibly catch hooligan with a herring type setup?
    Why in the world would you want to do this when you can dipnet for them?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Could be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Using a dipnet is for residents only.
    I don't believe the op is a resident yet.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I was fishing just inside the mouth of Glacier Bay a few years ago, looking for herring for halibut bait. We dropped some sabikis down on a big baitball and came up with hooligan instead. Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    You are looking for a Sabiki rig.
    I have heard of people catching Herring from the shores of Whittier with a pole. Use the search function to find the post and you should learn where to go etc.
    I have never tried to actually "fish" for Hooligan. I have always used a net. A Sabiki might work. I guess I never have heard of anyone actually catching them on a rod and reel in AK. Have heard of people who tried but never heard of anyone having any success.
    They do catch them (Euchalon aka smelt)through the ice on the east coast and on lake superior in MN and Wisconsin on hook and line. Of course those are not spawning fish in AK.

While they were rainbow smelt, folks catch them through the ice, and I caught them on a flyrod in Dillingham area.......small jigs, small flies with indicators.

Lots of folks were catching the herring from shore/rocks in Whittier adjacent to to ferry terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Lots of folks were catching the herring from shore/rocks in Whittier adjacent to to ferry terminal.
    This time of the year?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    This time of the year?
    No, the herring will show up in July(ish), maybe as early as late June.

Exactly.
    Kardenal 84 posted a video on here from 30 June and Brian M mentioned the birds flocking are a good indication of their arrival.
    I'm so glad to have finally caught some last season. I was actually beginning to think they were a guarded secret.
    They need to be properly brined if you plan on using them for bottom fish bait.
    We made a half-hearted attempt and they were still too soft to stay on the hook for any length of time ~ even with octopus ahead of them on the hook. This year Rob B finished brining a gallon for us this week and I have catching herring on the agenda again this year.
    We've picked up some more sabiki rigs, brine-n-brite and various scents.
    Bait is not cheap and seems to be getting more expensive like everything else...
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    No, the herring will show up in July(ish), maybe as early as late June.

Bait? I was more interested in Pickling them for my own table fair. pickled herring are a great appetizer and go really good sandwiched between moose summer sausage. I guess if i caught a lot of them i would try the brining bait thing for myself. I will be putting around down there this year trying to get my three year old to catch some around the pilings....

In Kodiak you can catch all you want right in front of the canneries. Nice having fresh bait.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Bait? I was more interested in Pickling them for my own table fair. pickled herring are a great appetizer and go really good sandwiched between moose summer sausage. I guess if i caught a lot of them i would try the brining bait thing for myself. I will be putting around down there this year trying to get my three year old to catch some around the pilings....
    We used to buy pickled herring and it was very expensive. I think it would taste better anyway if you canned some yourself. Has anyone pickled herring? How would you can them if the only way you could get them was from shore, and they were soggy because of spawn?

Used to set herring gill nets in the boat harbor in Seward ..... don't know if that's allowed anymore. Went there with a new herring net one year (1969 April I think) and discovered the mesh size I had was just a little too big and wasn't catching many herring. A couple of kids were jigging from one of the boat floats and doing pretty good .... so we checked out their set up. Went into town and got the smallest size gold hooks we could find. The size that would be used for a single salmon egg. Rigged up a string with five of these gold hooks (no bait) about 6" to 8" apart and a small weight at the bottom. Dangled this set up down 5 or 6 feet with a little jigging and sometimes came up with 5 herring at a time. Filled a couple of 5 gal buckets pretty quickly. Don't know why this wouldn't still work.

Cormit, It still works. I have caught them using the same rig around whittier out of a boat. We bought the small gold hooks that were snelled and just attached 5 or 6 to the line and had a weight on the bottom. We filled a bait bucket pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by OHTroy View Post
    Cormit, It still works. I have caught them using the same rig around whittier out of a boat. We bought the small gold hooks that were snelled and just attached 5 or 6 to the line and had a weight on the bottom. We filled a bait bucket pretty fast.
    Seward is pretty easy for folks to get to ....... but they would need to know that the herring have arrived at the harbor. Maybe someone from Seward could make an announcement ....... it's not like giving away a favorite shrimp spot ........ when the herring are there ..... there's plenty for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by OHTroy View Post
    Really? with only a tiny baitless hook? is there anyway to get a picture of one of these riggs? and how big were the herring, were they horse herring size or smaller?

Hey Joe. It's just a sibiki rig. B&J for a few bucks. They work great.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Picked up 3 rigs at Sportsman's this week for $1.49 each.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Hey Joe. It's just a sibiki rig. B&J for a few bucks. They work great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast