Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satisfied my sweet tooth with K-bay candy

Default Satisfied my sweet tooth with K-bay candy

I got a package from Chris this weekend and can't wait to hit the water! His Kachemak candy jigs have an awesome paint job that looks even better in person than in pics and I expect it will be a very tough paint job as well.

I rigged them with a split ring, solid Owner ring and an Owner 5/0 gorilla hook I tied with 150# kevlar thread.

I like how the jigs are heavier than commercial jigs of the same size as the k-bay jigs are fairly thick, they should really drop fast and fight the current. Can't wait to see how their action is in the water.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

They do look great and no doubt will catch fish.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I'm glad you like them Paul. I know they are going to slay the fish this summer for those of us lucky enough to get to fish them.
    With the double layers of powder paint and the UV clear coat They do have a very durable paint job.
    I just got done making a few of these in the smaller sizes. with the new mold I can make 1,2,3,4,6,and 8 oz Kachemak candy jigs. With the addition of some Chrome powder paint they look exactly like a small herring. I am guessing the rockfish will love them.
    I also can't wait for the new Cook Inlet candy mold to get here. My mold maker has been busy so this one was scheduled to take a bit longer to get completed. Hopefully he gets the cad work done soon and my mold cut. I really want to try that one also.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Huge THANKS

Chris,
    Sure do appreciate the abundance of lures you sent. You went above and beyond what I thought you would do!
    They are heavy, solid and look tough as nails. Can't wait to get some fish on them.
    Again, THANK YOU!
    The pics just don't do them justice, the big one's are very large and the colors are awesome.
    BK

cook inlet candy jigs (2).jpg

Simply awesome looking lures.

The lures really do look very well made. Much better than others from the store. I got mine rigged up yesterday. I'm trying a double hook rig from the top on one and a double rig with 2 skirts from the bottom on the other. Now if this snow will leave and summer decide to show up, we will all get to use these nice jigs.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Those jigs are works of art !! Chris stopped by at the show and gave me one to try out this summer, its to pretty to fish i think i'm going to frame it in a shadow box !!! after it catches some fish !!! Truely beautiful work Chris, now how much room do you need for your display at my booth ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Where do you buy that kevlar thread at? Online or local?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

And my new selection just arrived as well. Man Chris, you out-did yourself...way overkill. Thank you very much!!! I will post them rigged as I get the time. Again, very nice work and I very much appreciate! Hope I can return the favor. My little girl already claimed one for her tackle box.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

I have a large spool of the Kevlar thread, send me a pm.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    And my new selection just arrived as well. Man Chris, you out-did yourself...way overkill. Thank you very much!!! I will post them rigged as I get the time. Again, very nice work and I very much appreciate! Hope I can return the favor. My little girl already claimed one for her tackle box
    No problem I hope you get some quality time testing them.
    Which jig did your daughter claim? I will make a few extra just in case it gets lost so I can quickly get you a replacement.
    Kids often times are the best fishermen/fisherwomen. Many times on my boat they outfished everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    No problem I hope you get some quality time testing them.
    Which jig did your daughter claim? I will make a few extra just in case it gets lost so I can quickly get you a replacement.
    Kids often times are the best fishermen/fisherwomen. Many times on my boat they outfished everybody else.
    The smallest in silver/chrome. Carlee is quite the fisher girl, she goes to the fishing store with me virtually every time, has a ton of her own tackle now, and is chomping at the bit to get out this year.
    BTW, Stewart at B&J's requested I bring some of your gear to the store and he said he may be able to work out some room on the shelf for your jigs...stay tuned and will let you know this weekend.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

The smallest in silver/chrome. Carlee is quite the fisher girl, she goes to the fishing store with me virtually every time, has a ton of her own tackle now, and is chomping at the bit to get out this year..
    I can vouge for this, she's quite the sight to see cruisin through the isles picking out her next lure and associated tackle. Good job dad!

Back on topic. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new candy!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

The smallest in silver/chrome. Carlee is quite the fisher girl, she goes to the fishing store with me virtually every time, has a ton of her own tackle now, and is chomping at the bit to get out this year.
    I am glad your daughter liked the jigs. I will definetly make her some more.

BTW, Stewart at B&J's requested I bring some of your gear to the store and he said he may be able to work out some room on the shelf for your jigs...stay tuned and will let you know this weekend.

I hate to bust your bubble but I have no desire to sell any jigs in a retail setting. I already turned down an off from John Beath to sell my jigs on his website(Halibut.net).
    First off I do not want to get into it this seriously. It is just a hobby for me. I only decided to sell some jigs on here because I had a bunch of requests to do so and I really couldn't justify giving away that many jigs.
    secondly I do not currently have a steady supply of materials coming in that would allow me to sell a larger volume of jigs.
    Third I do not have nor do I want to get the IRS tax structure in place to legally sell jigs in a retail or commercial setting. I don't want to keep track of and pay quarterly federal excise taxes on my jig sales. That is where many guys get themselves in trouble is selling them in stores. When the store gets an IRS audit the IRS can decide to verify all their suppliers are paying taxes and when they discover you are not they can and will come after you for the goverments share.
    I am on another web forum for people who make their own fishing tackle.Some of these guys do this for a living and I have read their posts on what all is required and I have no desire to go there.
    So you can tell Stewart Thanks but No Thanks I am not interested. I appreciate your desire to help me though.
    My day job on the slope isn't that bad ( actually I really like my job)and I have no desire to give that up to make and sell fishing jigs or even to give up a good portion of my R&R to do so.

Good looking stuff Kasilof!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I am glad your daughter liked the jigs. I will definetly make her some more.

I hate to bust your bubble but I have no desire to sell any jigs in a retail setting. I already turned down an off from John Beath to sell my jigs on his website(Halibut.net).
    First off I do not want to get into it this seriously. It is just a hobby for me. I only decided to sell some jigs on here because I had a bunch of requests to do so and I really couldn't justify giving away that many jigs.
    secondly I do not currently have a steady supply of materials coming in that would allow me to sell a larger volume of jigs.
    Third I do not have nor do I want to get the IRS tax structure in place to legally sell jigs in a retail or commercial setting. I don't want to keep track of and pay quarterly federal excise taxes on my jig sales. That is where many guys get themselves in trouble is selling them in stores. When the store gets an IRS audit the IRS can decide to verify all their suppliers are paying taxes and when they discover you are not they can and will come after you for the goverments share.
    I am on another web forum for people who make their own fishing tackle.Some of these guys do this for a living and I have read their posts on what all is required and I have no desire to go there.
    So you can tell Stewart Thanks but No Thanks I am not interested. I appreciate your desire to help me though.
    My day job on the slope isn't that bad ( actually I really like my job)and I have no desire to give that up to make and sell fishing jigs or even to give up a good portion of my R&R to do so.
    I completely understand Chris, it could create quite the pain in the azz and would not be very profitably considering the time you put into your work. They showed some real interest at the store so I thought I would let you know.

I did get a little time after work this evening to do some rigging so here's a couple pics for you...

On the larger jigs there is a 200# Sampo swivel w/200# braid w/heat shrink attached to a snelled 10/0 Gamakatsu Big River hook. I also put an "S" bend in them for a bit more flutter.
    The medium jigs have solid ring w/a 9/0 VMC hook.
    And the last one is Carlee's creation w/hooch skirt on a 130# swivel and 4/0 Gamakatsu siwash hook. She's pretty jazzed...I'll be sure to post a shot of her first fish on it this season. BTW, she said to say thank you.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Got my kachemak candy jigs in the mail today. Rigged a few up. Thanks Chris.

Candy.JPG

where do you guy find the molds and other parts for makeing the jigs ?

Barlows is about the best source of molds and hardware, and don't forget Hilts for molds. If you don't mind spending a couple more bucks, there is a guy on ebay who makes cnc machined molds that I believe is the guy who cut Chris's molds.

The real bummer is the days of getting lead for cheap are over, unless you just luck into some sort of deal. Between lead running $1/lb and molds, furnace hardware you can be out $500 before you know it just to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    where do you guy find the molds and other parts for makeing the jigs ?
    Yes as paul said you can get a lot of your supplies from Barlows and they do well with shipping to AK. they charge actual shipping so there are no hidden charges.
    They do carry a lot of molds from Do-it and are my favorite place to buy supplies and do-it molds. There is a cheaper place for do-it molds but I wasn't happy with their packaging and customer service so I decided to stick with Barlows.
    Do not buy molds or parts directly from do-it unless you have a pocketfull of money you want to throw away. Like most big companies they sell for more money than their vendors to encourage you to buy from the vendors.
    A standrd Do-it mold sells for ~$30-$35 with a few of their bigger molds selling for as much as ~$75.
    Hilts and Litle Mac only sell their molds directly so you don't have much choice there. A hilts mold will run you about $40-$60.
    That adds up fast when you factor in that each mold only makes one style jig and sometimes for the bigger stuff only one size or two per mold.
    The mold for the Kachemak Candy jig is a CNC machined mold from Shawn Collins that cost ~$200 for the 10,12,16oz mold and another $200 for the smaller version.
    The Cook Inlet candy mold was about $300 because it is custom made from design and cad work to the CNC machining.
    As for the lead it is getting really hard to find for cheap.
    I am fortunate that I have friends and family who have helped me acquire what I need. One of my brother in laws works for a car dealership and gets me tire weights. I have also traded friends jigs and weights for lead they had acquired. I have bought lead on EBAY and from scrap yards.
    Most tire shops have people who they give their weights too via deals they have made or they sell their weights by the bucketfull.
    I am fortunate in that i make lots of different stuff people want and they are willing to trade their raw lead for my stuff. I usually make them a deal for a percentage of their lead returned via jigs or weights or a set number of jigs for the lead they have.
    Of course free lead is never really free. Wheel weights have to be melted down and fluxed then poured into ingots for ease of storage until you can utilize them. Thats takes propane and a burner, wax for fluxing as well as the melting pot ladle and ingot molds.
    Some things can be had for cheap such as using a muffin tin as an ingot mold. Ladles and molds must be bought.
    Some things are just easier to buy than scrounge and deal with sub par materials and supplies.
    I prefer to buy quality materials and supplies so I have the best finished products.
    I use stainless steel eyes instead of the cheaper brass ones because they do not bend and break as easily. I use Rowell bottom pour ladles from Rotometals as they can do even the biggest jigs in one pour if you buy the bigger sizes and they keep more of the dross out of my jigs and weights.
    Once you have the basics paid for buying more molds can be done as your funds allow. The initial supplies though will really negate any savings unless you loose a lot of tackle every year such as a charter guide might.
    I enjoy making jigs/weights as a hobby and can afford to do it on my income. I make stuff for lots of friends and family and they enjoy fishing as well so there is rewards in that. Catching fish on a jig you made yourself has its own rewards.
    Ok sorry for the long post I have jigs to finnish and weights to make before I go fishing this afternoon.
    Hope this helps explain a few things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast