Thread: SOTAR's new BMX & ATV inflatable kayaks (that look like pack-rafts)?

Question SOTAR's new BMX & ATV inflatable kayaks (that look like pack-rafts)?

Anyone (probably Goo?) have information about SOTAR's new line of inflatable kayaks? The BMX (8'6") and ATV (10'5"). They're available in the usual Urethane and also PVC (about half the price). They're not pointy shaped like most IK's. Instead they look more like pack-rafts, but, probably weigh more? SOTAR's web-site doesn't list much info, except for the overall length, colors, and price.

Anyway, they look stout and fun!
    Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Just found a little more info from another forum:

The BMX is 8.5' long, 34" wide, 10" tube diameter
    The ATV is 10.5' long, 39" wide, 12" tube diameter
    They are both available in 34oz PVC or 40oz Urethane

And here's a link to the web-page:

http://www.sotar.com/boat-specificat...20bmx-atv.html
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Found an article written by the guy who designed them. It has a line drawing showing the dimensions of the larger ATV model. If you read down through the comments section at the end of the write-up, he estimates the weight of the PVC version to be about 37 pounds, and the Urethane version will be "a little heavier"? There seems to have been rumors about making an ATV+sized model, that would have stretched the length out to 11 or 12 feet. But, after testing the capacity of the regular 10'5" ATV (no specific number given), the "Plus" sized idea was dropped.

http://www.nwrafting.com/river-equip...flatable-kayak

The one thing that gives me pause about packrafts is their ultra-light material. I know it's a necessity to keep the weight down for backpacking the raft along with all of your other hunting/camping gear. But, I'm more likely to pack just the raft and a lunch, while hiking in only for day-trips. So, a more rugged boat, that still small enough to navigate small streams seems more apealling to me. Anyway, interesting inflatables!

Thanx, Dave.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I find these smaller boats appealing for certain trips. For example, a remote float when numbers are off. Wife and I got a 14.5' and 10' Sotar from Goo. Just got the 10 footer the other month. Will use it on the Kenai this Sept. Would be a perfect solo boat for me. Great for Smoky Mountain fly fishing on certain rivers here in NC. The larger boat being the choice for extended remote floats, but if two folks in the big boat and a third is going, the 10 footer would be great. Same would apply for the larger of the two Sotars you mention here. A nice option to have rather than taking two large boats when they are not needed.

Also, these smaller (10' and under) boats will fit in the back of a pick up truck. That is one of the main reasons we bought the 10 footer from Goo. To use our larger Sotar on the Kenai, we had to rent a truck with a hitch from ABC RV rentals, it cost about twice as much as the trucks from Enterprise at the airport (which don't have hitch). Then we had to rent a trailer to put the raft on. Quite the hassle for out of staters like us. With the smaller boat, we can just throw it in the bed of the truck. Seems everyone is offering these smaller boats so not surprised to see Sotar doing the same.

Been looking at them for a long time. The Alpacka was interesting, but I am 300 lbs and wanted a bit more boat. Larry Bartlett is selling the 'big rig' which I found very interesting. But in the end I wanted a bigger big rig of sorts. With the wife and I, we are 500 lbs, so many of the smaller boats were marginal at best for my intended usage. Goo hooked us up with a 10 foot Sotar that is built like a brick shet house compared to the other boats I had been looking at. The urethane is like 20x thicker than some of the other small boats. Curious how the new Sotars you mention here compare. Ours is self bailing, R2 style boat as I am told, it must be the toughest of the small boats I have seen. I am sure these smaller Sotars will appeal to many. No doubt these smaller boats have their place. Good to have so many choices as our needs, weight requirements, portability (truck, plane, hiking, atv, etc..), and durability needs vary.

-Dan