Thread: Leaders for pike.

Default Leaders for pike.

Last year I started using TyGer and had good results. I was just curious to what size mono or what knots everyone was using.

I use the tieable wire leader material.....I put a swive on one end, tie a knot, then tie directly to the fly on the other end. Haven't tried the beefy mono and would be curious what size folks think is sufficient to avoid getting nipped off.

I like the wire with flyfishing largely because with such a small and soft lure as a fly, they often get inhaled so your odds of your line coming in direct contact with teeth is pretty high.

I would use a cut resistant braid. The last few years through the ice, I would use the braid to catch those steel leader shy walleye, I caught many a pike up to 25 lbs and never had one cut the line. That was using live bait so most of the time it was inhaled. Just inspect the leader after each fish.

I use 60# Flourocarbon. Use a one wrap loop knot. Same as a shock Tippett for Tarpon. Put it on the end of about six feet of 30 # Mono. I get a lot more takes than I did with wire. Good luck

Thanks guys. Have a good fishing year.

For smaller pike I'll use down to 50# flouro. For big pike, and muskies up to 50"+ I use 100 and 130 lb flouro, with #4 snaps...these fish aren't leader-shy even in clear water. I haven't used wire in probably a dozen years.

I use 40# to 50# Seaguar flourocarbon leader material for all my pikin' needs.
    I have caught fish to 45" with no issues so far.

Both of these fish were caught on the same leader without retying between fish.