Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money saving hunting tips

Default Money saving hunting tips

Saw this on a different forum. And Mike Strahan has given some good money saving tips though the new YouTube channel. So lets start a collective forum for money saving hints/tips whether it be for gear, packing, rifle hunting, or bow hunting.

Tou can hunt very well in salvation army duds.Camp well in yard sale tents and bring home game with grand dads beater rifle. Everything else is gravy or fancy trimmings.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

DIY... no guide

Oh yeah, this is my kinda thread! Bro in law and I are doing an unguided float this Sept (archery)...already read Mike's book (like about 10 times) to save on gear, drybags etc, not spending $$$ on fancy camo/raingear, have been trading/buying used wool clothes and some gear off the Archery Talk classifieds for over a year now, found large rubberized laundry bags at army surplus to use for gear drybags. So any tips for this little adventure....I'm all ears!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I have no doubt that if I just took the money I spend on gear, fuel, plane rides, boat launch fees, parking fees etc. etc. etc. and just went to the store and bought meat, I would come out way ahead....but that's probably not what the OP is looking for. I agree with Amigowill...don't necessarily need Swarovski glass when Bushnell works for me just fine. Don't need a custom built rifle when my 50 year old Rem. gamemaster .06 will kill 'em just as dead.

Lets keep this thread going! It's one way we can have a type of camaraderie as sportsmen(and women) by sharing little helpful hints. From the older to give the newer/ younger hunters.

I read this tip a lot of using contact lense solution bottles filled with talcum or other similar powder to check wind direction.

Yeah, I've got several older Primos windcheckers I refill with cornstarch, gotta ream out the hole bigger, but unless it gets really wet it works way better than paying $5 to $6 per bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by elksnout View Post
    Yeah, I've got several older Primos windcheckers I refill with cornstarch, gotta ream out the hole bigger, but unless it gets really wet it works way better than paying $5 to $6 per bottle!
    Powdered chalk works perfectly for a fraction of the cost.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

You can save lots by doing maintenance on your atv, boat, etc yourself. If you don't know how to do basic stuf like change fluids, battery, air and oil filters, wheel bearings; check your local library for a How To... Book.

Hmmm, money saving hunting tips......

I got it!!! Dont get married!! You will both save money and be able to go hunting!!!

Personly i have found hunting on a teenagers budget somewhat difficult. But i have learned a few ways to make hunting way cheaper. first off, hunt with a freind. I have found that the most efficient way to be productive and have a cost efficeint hunt is to bring a freind along or two along. Have them agree to split the gas with you evenly and your biggest cost instantly gets split in half
    my second tactic for going cheap is manning up and doing things yourself. personly, i have never slept in a cabin while on a hunt within about 20 miles of a road system. equip yourself with the right gear and knowladge and sleeping in a tent in -40 becomes easy. so many guys go out and rent cabins when they have a perfect pullout to pitch a tent lol.
    also a few specific gear tips,
    painter suits for snowcamo, super cheap
    next time your in a spot with a lot of birch trees fill a plastic bag with bark and always have that in your daypack, it will save your life.free fire starter.

last of all,
    if your going to invest in expensive gear, make it worth it. before i buy anything over about 50 bucks i make sure i will get more then my moneys worth out of it. if you get good quality gear that donst break, it should last a liftime. and if it dose break make sure that item has a warranty. for example: leupold optics, they are an investment (over 200 usualy) but thats the only 200 you will every need to spend. great company, good warranty, and there optics are TOUGH. after being submerged for 3 days in the bottom of a flipped buggy, im a believer.

good luck this year!
    joe
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

and yes that might be the best tip of all lol
    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Hmmm, money saving hunting tips......

I got it!!! Dont get married!! You will both save money and be able to go hunting!!!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

hmm, Very Cool Thread idea,...

- Reload your own ammo,....make one shot kills, because you, "Know your Equipment."

- Buy a Fine Rifle and scope,...Once,...use for many years,...(don't skimp there, too critical,...)

but, Most Certainly,...Skip the whole Camo Craze
    I've pulled off good stalks, many times, with Orange Raingear on my back,...even with hood up,...

anyone ever wondered what's up with the Camo Boxer Shorts ?? ,....Florida thing maybe ??
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I agree on the camo craze!!! You can buy some great clothing for cheap if you buy them in solid colors. Also, buy good gear once instead of cheap gear annually.

If a guy wants to truly attempt to hunt cheap.......Which I did for years because I had to....What I did was this.

1. Hunt close to home, There may be grander things across state lines or after a 6 hour drive but if you want meat, go as close as possible.
    2. Own one centerfire rifle that will do many things, a 22 and a shotgun, (the rest is gravy)...of course the shotgun can take about anything with slugs
    3. Shoot and practice with your 22 mostly, the practice will spill over to your centerfire.
    4. Don't upgrade your bow every two years.....mind is from 1997.(but this may be a bit extreme) A bow is also good in that in may boost your tag count
    5. Camp out and bring a buddy to split gas for longer trips.
    6. Binos are unnecessary for many things (deer, moose, caribou)
    7. If you invest in nice outdoor clohtes, skivies etc, don't wear them to the office or on the town, use them for what they are for and they last longer.
    8. Don't skimp on footwear, but oil and treat them often so they last.
    9. In Alaska, definitely skip the camo, get one good set of rain gear.

And probably the biggest savers..........Process YOUR OWN meat and sausage and don't get a bunch of gimmicky stuff. Boots in the field and an accurate weapon that YOU are accurate with will bring home the bacon.

While I have not done it, I have heard of guys that vaccum pack their own pre made meals. That has got to be cheaper than eating mountain house at 5-6 dollars a pop. Gas is usually eats up more money during my hunts than anything else. Save early, set a little money aside each paycheck, so when hunting season comes around you got that extra cash for gas. Hunting is usually going to cost a good chunk of change no matter what. Do your homework, get in shape, practice shooting, put yourself in the best possible position to be successful. When hunting season is over and you got the animals you were after, it doesn't feel like such a waste of money.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    While I have not done it, I have heard of guys that vaccum pack their own pre made meals. That has got to be cheaper than eating mountain house at 5-6 dollars a pop. .
    Years ago, my Son and I were crossing Cook Inlet headed for the Big Su, it was a rough crossing and we took a beating in our old flat bottomed smokercraft. late that day when we got to our traditional moose camp, we started to fix supper.. We discovered that the old brittle bottle of dish soap had ruptured in all the slam banging. the sack of pancake flour was soaked on the bottom, as was a box of rice, and a couple boxes of dehydrated spuds, and although our roll of toilet paper had absorbed quite a bit of the soap, it was totally useless for it's intended use. Fortunately we did have a few paper towels with us. After that experience, we prepackaged our meals in heavy duty zip lock bags. Which actually made preparing for a hunt a little easier. We knew how many pancake meals, or meals with dehydrated spuds, or rice, etc, we had by counting baggies. We also packed our TP in baggies, as well as wrapping the paper towels into a plastic bag. However, we always bought a new bottle of dish soap every year there after too...

I'll agree with all of what Catch it said....probably the biggest opportunity I see to save money hunting is to live somewhere where you can hunt close to home without high transport costs. Less need for fancy lightweight gear and clothing if you are hunting close to home and sleeping in your bed everynight. Hunt evenings after work and weekends. Hunt often and close to home...

On the other hand, there is something to be said for weeklong "remote" types of hunts. They have the uniqueness and adventure factor that hunting the meadow on the edge of your property just doesnt have.....

Then on the meat processing side....Last year was the first year I paid someone to make some summer sausage and hot dogs....I was suprised how much it cost....before that i never paid a dime, beyond the cost of a vacuum sealer, some fat and knives...

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    While I have not done it, I have heard of guys that vaccum pack their own pre made meals. That has got to be cheaper than eating mountain house at 5-6 dollars a pop. .
    I've also found the simple food prep, will still taste awesome, in the woods

as simple as a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, in a Ziploc bag, might get all squeezed, and flattened and stuff, by mid day,....but,...
    on the top of a mountain,....is a Fantastic meal,...and all you need, to keep going up there
    make two of 'em, while you're at it,...for a few cents

Some guys can afford to do all the Freeze Dried Ice Cream and Lasagna,...for that ultimate Mountain Dining Experience

but I've found, "it's the Mountain, that is the experience,"...and whatever it takes to keep yourself going up there,..
    will taste really good, with the corresponding backdrop of scenery,... aching muscles,... and fresh air,...and, all that...

It's the getting, "Out There," that matters,...

another is just the, "Quick fix Oatmeal," man that stuff is inexpensive, lightweight...
    and Powerful for what you need it to do for you,...we're talking "Pennies per Pound, of Hunting Energy"
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I don't own a $40,000 dollar boat, I paid 0 dollars for flight costs, my snow machines are older work sleds, my rifles lack some blueing, my dipnets have holes in them. My freezer is full of moose, caribou, and salmon.

Money don't full freezers, hard work can though.

Skinny bank accounts can oftentimes promote free thinking, a stronger will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast