Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NICS check I.D.

Default NICS check I.D.

How is a person ID'd when your name is submitted for a background check to NICS? SSN?
    Yes, I've gone thru it before, but I didn't pay attention other than providing info requested of me. As I remember, only photo ID (Drivers license) and in my case a seperate ID (hunting lic.) to verify physical addy. My ADL has my Fbks PO on it.

It would seem there would be a lot of room for error if only a name is used.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The 4473 requests SSN and birthplace, yes ? Also full middle name .

should be able to just hand them your voter I.D. as its good enough for making major decisions here.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    How is a person ID'd when your name is submitted for a background check to NICS? SSN?
    Yes, I've gone thru it before, but I didn't pay attention other than providing info requested of me. As I remember, only photo ID (Drivers license) and in my case a seperate ID (hunting lic.) to verify physical addy. My ADL has my Fbks PO on it.

It would seem there would be a lot of room for error if only a name is used.
    Full name, DOB, physical address, drivers license or other legal I.D. are required. SSN is optional and I never provide it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

When the NICS check is called in, the following information is supplied from the 4473 form:
    1. Last, First, and Middle Name, and any Cadence,(II,III, Jr, Sr,etc.)
    2.Place of Birth, State or foreign country.
    3. Height
    4.Weight
    5.Gender
    6.Date of Birth
    7. Social Security Number ( Optional)
    8. Ethnicity (Are you, or are you Not Hispanic or Latino)
    9. Race, ( White, Black, Asian, American Indian, Pacific Islander)
    10. State of Residence
    11. Country of Citizenship
    12. Type of firearm ( Handgun, Long gun, Other, such as a frame receiver,etc.)
    That is generally everything, they don't get to know where you live, the brand, model, or serial Number of the firearm, your drivers license number, or anything else. Hope this helps!
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks guys. Was curious about how accurate the check is. With 3 names for each person, and place of birth, year of birth, I suppose it's pretty accurate. Had a check done today. While you need govt ID to show name and birth date, no proof is required for place of birth.
    Could someone give a phony place of birth and get a pass even tho they wouldn't legally qualify otherwise? Does the govt really have all 200 million some US residents over 18 in their records?
    Can illegal aliens legally purchase a firearm in the US?

Hey Rock, this isn't a 2A thread. It concerns current law dealing with purchasing a firearm. Very relevant to shooting in Alaska.
    I just purchased a firearm on Gunbroker a couple weeks ago and did the NICS check today. Thus my questions.

Thanks guys. Was curious about how accurate the check is. With 3 names for each person, and place of birth, year of birth, I suppose it's pretty accurate. Had a check done today. While you need govt ID to show name and birth date, no proof is required for place of birth.
    Could someone give a phony place of birth and get a pass even tho they wouldn't legally qualify otherwise? Does the govt really have all 200 million some US residents over 18 in their records?
    These are the many questions being debated by government all over the country right now. The short answer is yes there are lots of issues with the current system. In my 5 or so years of selling guns I only dealt with 2 denials that I can recall and probably 1 delay every three months or so that no answer came in for. They never say WHY they don't give an answer, they just don't call back.

My GUESS is that they are trying to see if your name comes up on any hot lists, not necessarily trying to figure out EXACTLY who you are. I'm also guessing the information you provide in addition to your name is used to filter results if your name happens to appear on any hot list.

I am routinely delayed 3 days. I was told it's because of my military history, and the FBI ran a background check on me to issue me a TWIC card.
    It might also be that there is someone with my name (different middle, same initial) that is NOT! a person of good character.
    Whatever, I figgered play the game and get an id number to avoid the delay...
    Don't want no one to get hurt, but if yore gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

Itís not very accurate at all actually. It isnít a list of everyone it is many lists of only prohibited folks. In theory if they canít find you in the lists, you are not prohibited. The trouble comes in a couple ways. First crooks use a bunch of names, phony info, and made up numbers that confuse the system. When their made up stuff is similar to your real stuff now they got to sort out who is who somehow, or they just figure you are the crooks new persona and say no. Then there are all the prohibited folks whoís name just never got listed for whatever reason, they are free to buy because the system is a mess
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by calm seas View Post
    I am routinely delayed 3 days. I was told it's because of my military history, and the FBI ran a background check on me to issue me a TWIC card.
    It might also be that there is someone with my name (different middle, same initial) that is NOT! a person of good character.
    Whatever, I figgered play the game and get an id number to avoid the delay...
    I have a very common first middle and last name. I have found that EVERY time I have done a check and NOT given my SSN I have been delayed 3 days. Everytime I give my SSN it goes straight through. It helps get rid of any false positives.

Hey "Calm Seas". If you keep getting delayed, you can request a VAF Packet from NICS. Fill it out with a legal set of finger prints, send it in, and in 4-5 months if you're approved, they send you a UPIN Number. I did and no more delays. But in my case, I was always getting delayed between 3 days and 3 weeks.

Just so everyone knows you can now (again) get a nics exempt concealed carry permit. Meaning you take the approved course send in your pic and fingerprints no more nics check for I believe 5 years.

That was the way it used to be, but the Trooper Admin being the political animals they are, stopped the exemption with the usual excuse that it was "liability".

And yes, everyone are in multiple databases. Within a few hours of being born, a child is issued a SSN and footprints are taken (note the prints don't change over the lifetime), this is the beginning of being entered into the gub'mint databases.

Everyone who has filled out a 4473 since the GCA is in the ATF database that was created back in '86. All records of dealers are sent to the WV facility and scanned in.

With computers it is possible to snag whatever data you want within only a few seconds. With the comps it is not even complex at all, just matching parameters.

Do not believe for a second that the checks are deleted.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I am aware that is how it WAS they have recently within the last month changed it back so you can be NICS exempt again

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I am aware that is how it WAS they have recently within the last month changed it back so you can be NICS exempt again
    Kewl.......
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Looks like it is time to get another CCW permit, I let mine expire when the NICS exemption was initialy terminated. I thought it was ridiculous to eliminate the NICS exemption in the first place, especialy when the the background check to qualify for the permit exceeds the instant check, or 4473 process.

It should be nothing more than the ACLU and many in government think you should be required to have to vote.Until there is equality between gun buying and voting we will have folks wanting to take our rights.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    And yes, everyone are in multiple databases. Within a few hours of being born, a child is issued a SSN and footprints are taken

Everyone who has filled out a 4473 since the GCA is in the ATF database that was created back in '86. All records of dealers are sent to the WV facility and scanned in.
    SSN are not issued automatically. The parent has to apply for one. Plenty of babies arrive home without a SSN.
    I didn't pay attention, but I don't think the FFL holder told the guy on the phone what kind of gun and serial number I was getting. That stuff is on the form, but ATF does not get that form. They can get it if they inspect the guy.

So next question..............what is to stop an FFL holder from NOT doing checks? When his records are inspected, ATF would have to go back and check each form for a corresponding call to the NICS system, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast