Thread: 30-06 150gr youth load?

Default 30-06 150gr youth load?

Anybody have an accurate reduced load for the 30-06 using 150gr bullet? Looking for light 308 win level formy son in his new Marlin XL7. Will be using Hornady 150gr. Hodgdon youth loads listing doesn't show 150gr. Have had good luck with H4895 for light loads in other calibers just looking to find a good place to start with the 30-06.

Thanks.

Don't have data for that, but I've been considering using Nosler's 125 grain Ballistic tip for a reduced recoil load. Should be a smoking round, but low recoil. Sportsmans in Anchorage had a box or two last time I was in there.

http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data...25-Grains.aspx

Look around their website. They have plenty of data for 150 gr loads.

You reload? If so, try the 130gr Barnes TSX.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG View Post
    Anybody have an accurate reduced load for the 30-06 using 150gr bullet? Looking for light 308 win level formy son in his new Marlin XL7. Will be using Hornady 150gr. Hodgdon youth loads listing doesn't show 150gr. Have had good luck with H4895 for light loads in other calibers just looking to find a good place to start with the 30-06.

Thanks.
    The following link should be of use to you:

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20R...le%20Loads.pdf

Thanks.
    55 grains of alliant reloader 22 should yield about 2,500 fps from a 150 grainer. with this very slow powder, and such a mild charge, this should give very gentle recoil.

Thanks.
    25 to 35 grains of IMR 4227 is ballistically equivalent to a 30-30, from an NRA magazine in the 1990's.
    Don't want no one to get hurt, but if yore gonna have a wreck, I wanna watch.

47.0 gr of 4895 and 130 gr TTSX (2930 fps) is what my 9 year old was comfortable with out of his Ruger tang safety. Shot a black bear and a caribou... Started at 45 gr and worked up in .5 gr increments until he said "uncle" then backed off to 47.0 gr.

Not sure if you shoot any cast boolits but you can find alot of good lighter loads for youngsters with them. I run a 200gr cast boolit in a 30-06 garand and a bolt action rem 700 that is very mild around the same level as a 30-30 but in a little heavier gun so it works quite well. I would have no issues using the loads on deer or black bear at or under 100yds but like others have said go to a 130 barnes or some 125gr lloads and you can lessen recoil and still have plenty of thump. If you do use cast boolits or want to try them I come home in May sometime from my deployment and would be glad to give you some cast up and sized/lubed to try out. Also the lyman cast bullet handbook has lots of good load data for light loads in about any caliber with lead bullets.