Thread: Sea Star Cove Cabin @ Tutka Bay homer ?

Default Sea Star Cove Cabin @ Tutka Bay homer ?

Has anyone stayed at the sea star cove cabin out of homer? http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/cabins/kenai.htm#tutka

I have it rented for next weekend and am looking for information on mooring (while tied to shore) in the bay. ie. how far from the trees to get to 5-50 foot of water at lowest tides?

I typically set my anchor and then connect a 100' bungie and 50' anchor buddy to the anchor (giving me 350' total stretch). Then I back to the shore close enough to throw a long tag line to my wife. I shut down, pull the motor up and then she pulls me in and I jump off tie off the rode to a tree, then let the bungies pull the wife back out to the deeper water.

I may just need to take a 1 man cataraft in case I cannot tie off to shore.

Another concern is the weather in Tutka and boat traffic in the area. I have duck hunted Tutka and seen it get fairly nasty....

Also - any information on the cabin...what is 1-1/2 bunkbeds and how does it sleep six?

Contact/call/PM Homer Dave. He has lots of knowledge of the area and can likely answer all your questions.

Bullelkklr,

I have that cabin in May. Any info you find would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr
    then let the bungies pull the wife back out to the deeper water.
    make sure you punch her in the neck first like chris brown

Dirty little town near the end of the road

I have stayed there several times, it gets steep quick enough to anchor using the bungie method you describe, I have a similar method. Its pretty quiet back there and I have not seen a lot of traffic. Its pretty protected, and the wind would have to really be howling out of the NW before it affected you that far back, not saying it couldn't, but I have never seen it blow very bad.

The cabin is hard to spot from the beach, I would typically anchor directly in front of the cabin, however the stairs are to the right, this is the easiest way to get gear back and forth. Then move the boat back over when you get unloaded. I have gone up & down the creek at the left, its not bad if you aren't packing a lot of stuff, But I would use the stairs to start with..

You wont need the cataraft, except to rescue the wife when you let the bungie pull her out......you should be close to 50 fifty feet at 300 feet out, the tide almost got me there once......

It has 2 sets of bunk-beds.....? could sleep 8 if I recall........wood stove is definitely funky and hard to control......we got the hang of it but it could be better.

I have some pics on a different computer, will try to post for you tomorrow. How big of a boat?
    “There is no wealth but life.” John Ruskin

BullElkklr,

Our family stayed in the Sea Star Cove in 2004 and 2005. In 2004, the state mooring bouy was in place and I tied the boat to that. In 2005 the bouy had been removed so I set an anchor out in front of the cabin. To be honest about it, I can't remember if I had a line to shore as well. With the big tidal swings in Kachemak Bay, the beach has to be steep to be able to setup a running line or run a fixed line to shore so you don't swing into deeper water. I don't know if you will be able to utilize your bungee system to get you into deep enough water. I would bring you 1 man cataraft as sure bet to get to and from your boat while it is at anchor.

When looking at the cabin, the rocky beach on the right, the end of the cove where the cabin sits, is where you need to unload your gear and climb the wooden stairs to the cabin. That beach is quite shallow for a long way out. Bring a boat hook to use to push the boat off shore to deeper water. There is a pebble beach to the left right below the cabin that is much steeper and it might work to anchor with your bungee system. The problem though is you won't be able to use the stairs to get down to that beach due to a rocky headland that separates the two beaches. You can get to the beach via a trail from the cabin but it can get slick when wet. Our oldest son slipped on that route and banged his wrist up pretty bad.

Here are two pictures of beaches at the cabin. The first picture is looking down at the left hand beach from the cabin. The second picture is the right hand beach. Note how far out the mooring bouy was in 2004.

As far as the cabin goes, I remember it being one of the nicest state cabins that we stayed in. I think each bunks sleep 3 instead of two thus there the description the bunks are 1.5. I would keep your loads to the cabin managable weight wise as it is a bit of a haul up and down the stairs. Bring your own fire wood to use in the stove. I have not experienced super strong winds that far back into
    Tutka Bay. You will be protected from winds blowing from the head of the bay.

Good luck and have fun as it is a nice location.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Sea Star beach

Here is a view of the landing/s, the cabin is almost dead center in the photo, hard to see through the trees.
    You will want to put in all the way to the right, at least the first time so you can use the stairs.
    Straight out from the cabin is where you will want to anchor, this pic was taken at mid tide, at high tide most of the rocks between these two tiny bays will be under water.

You can see the bay on the right a little better in this pi
    c

Looking back out, we saw may evenings like this..

Here is a inside look, you can see how well the wood stove works.....

Its a great place,have fun....!

Default Thx

Thanks for all the info and pics. Looking forward to my trip.

I punched in the coordinates for the cabin from the Cabin info website, I presume they are good.

Definately thanks for the pix and info! I can make that work with my anchor system. I'll throw in another hunnerd foot of shore rope to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    make sure you punch her in the neck first like chris brown
    I really meant to say "boat" - not wife. Hey - if she stays in the boat all night then I wouldn't have to tie it off to shore....but then again - if that stove doesn't work, I will need more than the dog to keep me warm! If she see this - I might be cold for a while!

That sure is a nice looking cabin. I might have to book it for a couple nights too. But I'll keep the wife on shore until I get the boat anchored up. HA HA
    2005 Hewescraft Alaskan 260 MLC.
    Knot Too Shabby

MMSI# 338156119