Thread: Hola!

Default Hola!

Thanks Michael for starting this forum--I have been searching for AK dive sites and forums and found very little. I have been diving for the last two years and am determined to dive here in AK this year instead of the usual tropical climes. I am in the process of buying all requisite gear. I have a 17ft zodiac and some experience buzzing around Seward/Homer/Whittier and am interested in meeting some other people to put together some dives. I am also interested in spearfishing and freediving, but have limited spearfishing experience. So, anyone looking to put together some trips or share information contact me.

RC

My daughter and I have been diving a little up here, mainly in Smitty's Cove over in Whittier. Couldn't do any last year due to medical but am looking forward to getting back in the water.

Hi Bill,
    I'm going to do a drysuit certification course soon (within next few weeks) with Last Frontier and am getting new gear sorted out--holler at me when you're getting out, or pm me a number. I live in Anchorage. RC

RC, I'll be in Homer in June. I'll be looking for a job when I get there, but I'll definitely want to get in the water when I get some free time. -Josh

Quote Originally Posted by RCAK View Post
    Thanks Michael for starting this forum--I have been searching for AK dive sites and forums and found very little. I have been diving for the last two years and am determined to dive here in AK this year instead of the usual tropical climes. I am in the process of buying all requisite gear. I have a 17ft zodiac and some experience buzzing around Seward/Homer/Whittier and am interested in meeting some other people to put together some dives. I am also interested in spearfishing and freediving, but have limited spearfishing experience. So, anyone looking to put together some trips or share information contact me.

RC

Hey Josh,
    Good to hear from you. I went on the drysuit certification course with last frontier diving--instructor sean was great, visibility in Homer, not so much, couldn't even see my air level two feet away at one point. It was cool cruising through the kelp beds--saw an octopus and saw very unusual sucker fish that the dnr/state trooper guys back at the launch wanted a picture of. It was my first cold water dive, and I did 4 that day, and after inital brutality, it got easier with time. I learned alot about necessary gear (heat source in boat, hot tea, dry gloves set up on suit). It was good to see the sites where they are going --very close to Homer and zodiacable. I still need to buy some gear, but let me know where you're ready--I'm thinking I'll be good to go by mid-June.

RC

Made it to Homer. Haven't had time to get out in the water...not sure I should with a 3mm surf suit and no hood or anything. I will be heading to Kodiak for work in a week or two. Hoping I can get some proper gear and get in the water.